Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> X58 Died - Any Motherboards with Similar Specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
X58A-UD7 Rev.1-F7
CPU
Xeon W3680
Graphics
Sapphire RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hellooo,
I successfully upgraded my GPU from 2010 Custom Mac Pro listed here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/08/building-customac-customac-pro-2010.html to a Sapphire RX580 and installed Catalina OS X. Unfortunately my Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R with LGA1366 Socket mobo died yesterday. Any suggestions for mobos of similar specs? I remember there were mobos listed around that time but now I don't see the list. I would like to continue using my other components like the DDR3 RAM and i7 CPU. Please assist. I'm using the same specs as the link included in this post. Thank you in advance.

You can find pre-owned X58A boards on ebay for fairly reasonable prices. Just be careful who you order from and get one that has been factory refurbished or tested so you do not get a DOA. Also suggest you use pay-pal to purchase it in case there is a problem. Pay-pal will help you get your $$ back if it is bad and the seller will not refund. You can also find them on Amazon.

You can find pre-owned X58A boards on ebay for fairly reasonable prices. Just be careful who you order from and get one that has been factory refurbished or tested so you do not get a DOA. Also suggest you use pay-pal to purchase it in case there is a problem. Pay-pal will help you get your $$ back if it is bad and the seller will not refund. You can also find them on Amazon.
Thank you GB! I found an X58 UD7 Gigabyte mobo on eBay and purchased it via PayPal. The seller has a 30 day return policy on top of PayPal cash back. It’s refurbished and comes with Xeon CPU. I really don’t need the CPU since I have a perfectly working i7. I think there was an install posting for Xeon many moons ago. I’ll look it up if I feel like giving the Xeon a test run. Otherwise, I can’t wait to have my baby up and running again. Blessed and stay healthy GB. Much thanks!

Thank you GB! I found an X58 UD7 Gigabyte mobo on eBay and purchased it via PayPal. The seller has a 30 day return policy on top of PayPal cash back. It’s refurbished and comes with Xeon CPU. I really don’t need the CPU since I have a perfectly working i7. I think there was an install posting for Xeon many moons ago. I’ll look it up if I feel like giving the Xeon a test run. Otherwise, I can’t wait to have my baby up and running again. Blessed and stay healthy GB. Much thanks!
I changed my i7 out for a Xeon 6 core W3670. Much better!
Is your UD7 rev1.0 like mine?

Congrats on the X58-UD7! I have a rev.2 that has been such a reliable machine for so many years - and just today upgraded the memory to 48GB

Awesome. Mine is rev1.0 as well with a Xeon 4 core W3550. It arrives Friday! I can't wait...

Congrats on the X58-UD7! I have a rev.2 that has been such a reliable machine for so many years - and just today upgraded the memory to 48GB
Thanks haller. I can't wait to test out the Xeon world on Friday. I have 18GM RAM and the mobo is coming with 24GB so we shall see. I love that Defender. Best car ever made in my opinion.

So 24GB should be certain for you then as that would be as per the specs. I went for the "Patriot 16GB(2x8GB) Viper III DDR3 1866MHz (PC3 15000) CL10" x3 which seem to work well so far (mentioning this here just in case someone else is interested what would work on a GA-X58A-UD7 or similar but it might be CPU dependent and only work with a Xeon).
Yeah that Land is really a crazy car - it's owned by a friend - it's a 1959 model IIRC. :D

Last edited:
Glad to be back with my brand new second hand mobo and new specs as shown on the screen. Thank you all for your support.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 2.16.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 2.16.11 PM.png
    437.3 KB · Views: 75
Hi GB,
I finally updated my Bios from F5 to F7 and replaced my quad core with a six core W3680. So much better! Thank you for the recommendation. Stay healthy in this covid. Time for Big Sur....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back