Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS X99-M WS
CPU
i7-5820K
Graphics
HD 7950
Zotac H55ITX-A-E DSDT

Please do not post my guide and or DSDT files anywhere else.

Update October 11, 2011
Zotac H55ITX-A-E Is History, Consider Zotac H67ITX-C-E
Even if you can find a Zotac H55ITX-A-E consider a Zotac H67ITX-C-E instead. I won't be doing a guide because the Zotac H67ITX-C-E is almost vanilla with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card. It doesn't require an edited DSDT, possibly only for audio, but HDMI is vanilla and a AppleHDA Rollback apparently works but I don't use it. USB2 and eSATA are vanilla, yes eSATA really works on this board. The Mini-PCIe wifi card is the RaLink chipset, as usual it can be replaced with an Atheros or Broadcom, Apple Airport compatible, readily available on eBay. My CPU is i7-2600K. As always do your homework and see what CPU's an iMac12,2 uses before buying.

Here are the basic install requirements for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and Lion 10.7.1 . . .
Boot Loader: Chameleon 2 RC5 r1517 (or any that support Lion)
com.apple.Boot.plist: "GraphicsEnabler=No" for ATI Radeon HD 5770
Extra > Extensions: FakeSMC.kext 3.1.0, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
smbios.plist: for iMac12,2
Themes: what ever you like

Note that Extensions.mkext file is not required.

Note: To enable sleep and wake from sleep, you must remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. To do that you need the SpeedStepper fix, search Google to find it. Even though it's intended to fix speedstep, this board has vanilla speedstep. SpeedStepper fixes other issues that stop the use of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext having kernel panics. If you use SpeedStepper fix, you must use smbios.plist for iMac12,2 else you will get kernel panics.

The onboard HD3000 graphics work, but unfortunately I can't reproduce how I got it to work. If you want great performance and the ability to connect 3 monitors, get an ATI Radeon HD 5770 with two DVI ports and a DisplayPort. You will need an Active DisplayPort to DVI adapter, and have to install these three ATI kexts version 1.6.26 from Snow Leopard 10.6.7 . . .
ATI5000Controller.kext
ATIFramebuffer.kext
ATISupport.kext

To install Lion see my guide below for the USB thumb drive installer. You will have to install the required files listed above on the USB installer, replacing the entire contents of the Extra folder. I have done clean installs and migrated my files from other Snow Leopard installs. The USB installer boots in only a few seconds on as system with an SSD and the ATI 5770.

My Geekbench mark is about 11,500. The ATI Radeon 5770 gets 50 fps in Cinebench. Average CPU temp is 40ºC.

Update August 3, 2011
Zotac H55ITX-A-E Smooth Sailing with Lion
I'm running smooth in Lion, love this OS X upgrade, it's the best ever. I have all my apps updated that need to be, many run better than in Snow Leopard and in some cases old issues have disappeared. I can find nothing wrong so far. Best of all everything that was working on the Zotac board under Snow Leopard is working in Lion.

Update July 31, 2011
Lion Self Bootable Installer

Here's the simplest way to make a bootable Lion Installer using a USB Jump Drive. The purpose is to make a small portable installer that can boot your Hackintosh, without requiring any other boot disks installed. It can be used to make a clean Lion install on existing and new systems, or to upgrade an existing Snow Leopard 10.6.8. It will also serve as a boot drive to fix problems on an installed system if the need arises. This method will give you a full screen resolution installer, if you have the support files installed that work.

The installer will work for any Hackintosh provided you use tested and proven support files.

SEE page 31 of this post for all the details.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=173926#p173926

Update July 27, 2011
Lion CMOS Reset Fix
A common issue with Lion has surfaced. After invoking sleep, on rebooting the BIOS resets to defaults. The fix is to patch AppleRTC with the following terminal command . . .
Code:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\xBC\x00\x74\x10|\xBC\x00\xEB\x10|; s|\x45\xB8\x74\x08|\x45\xB8\xEB\x08|; s|\xD0\x00\x74\x13|\xD0\x00\xEB\x13|; s|\x45\xCC\x74\x0B|\x45\xCC\xEB\x0B|;' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC
The fix works 100% to restore sleep functions as they were in Snow Leopard. If your Zotac H55ITX-A-E had any other sleep issues this will not fix those. You will have to try to resolve that with other advice offered in this thread.

Thanks to blackosx and others for sorting this out so quickly.

Update July 17, 2011
Exciting News!!
I have ATI Radeon HD 5750 working flawlessly with DSDT support. I moved it to my Lian-Li PC-Q08B system with i5-750 CPU, and Snow Leopard 10.6.8. HDMI audio is working and the card supports 3 monitors at full resolution. The performance is noticeably better than the nVidia GeForce GT 220 I was using. In case you are not familiar with these cards the one I have requires an ATX power supply with PCIe power cable.

Update July 5, 2011
Zotac H55ITX-A-E Snow Leopard 10.6.8 Update
How To Avoid The "[ PCI Configuration begin ]" Issue

For more about "[ PCI Configuration begin ]" issue see . . .
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=22882

This problem is related to graphics cards from different manufacturers with the same chipsets. I had no issues with a EVGA GT 220, but did get the "[ PCI Configuration begin ]" issue with a Asus GT 220.

Two kexts in System/Library/Extensions are being updated on some machines and not others. AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.3.5 and IOPCIFamily.kext version 2.6 are being replaced with AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.3.6 and IOPCIFamily.kext version 2.6.5. The simple solution is to restore the older versions.

Here's what you do . . .

Before you begin, in case you get stuck, it's a good idea to have a backup of your working system on a separate hard drive, either internal or an external USB drive. To make a backup easily, clone your existing system to the other drive, be sure to run MultiBeast to just install Chameleon, else it will not boot. And test your backup drive for boot. If you run into trouble go into the BIOS and set the backup as the boot and work from there to fix the 10.6.8 updated system. You can manually install kext and use MultiBeast System Utilities to cleanup before rebooting, be sure to target the correct system.

1.. Before running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 update Go to System/Library/Extensions folder and Command key select AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext

2.. Then Control key click on one of the 2 and select Compress 2 Items, they will be archived to the Desktop

3.. Run SL 10.6.8 Update, and allow it to restart

4.. Go to System/Library/Extensions folder to check the version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext

5.. If they are AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.3.6 and IOPCIFamily.kext version 2.6.5 then open the archive of the previous versions and run Tonymacx86's KextBeast

6.. Also open Disk Utility and run repair permissions

Reboot and all should be well.

On the system I had trouble, I allowed reboot and the system came back, however it was the next reboot that I saw the "[ PCI Configuration begin ]" problem, and spent several hours sorting it out.

There is no need for the various fixes offered, they don't make sense to me, and might become issues later on. This problem appears to be Apple system configurations that the updater thinks we have, it's a fix or preparation for Macs that need it.

I leave the deeper reason for this problem to other brains to sort out.

Thanks

Update: Feb. 16, 2011- CPU Temps
If you use iStat, all versions after 3.05 do not report CPU temps (up to 3.12 as of post). For FakeSMC later than 2.1 you may need to install FakeSMC plugins, in particular IntelThermal.kext. MultiBeast 3.2.0 installs FakeSMC 3.1.0, the plugin package option installs 3 kext in Extra, only IntelThermal is essential to get CPU temps. I've given up using iStat because the System Logs are reporting an issue with a support file it installs called MenuCracker. Instead I use "Hardware Monitor", while not as elegant it does report CPU temps without any issues. Also iStat and Hardware Monitor report the same temps, my i5-750 is 32ºC while typing this post.

Also, Hardware Monitor doesn't require any FakeSMC plugins, no need for IntelThermal.kext.

Update: Mar. 14, 2011- AppleHDA 1.8.7
I have tested a better AppleHDA that supports HDMI audio by Taruga. The audio quality is much better and stronger.

Google this "AppleHDA_1.8.7f1_ALC888_LayoutID_888" to find it. I found a listing for it on MediaFire downloads.

There are 2 files, AppleHDA and HDAEnabler, install both in "System/Library/Extensions. You can use KextBeast if you don't know how to any other way. KextBeast is here . . .
viewforum.php?f=69

Update: Mar. 14, 2011- Buying tip
Before buying anything from Amazon or Newegg see this here at tonymacx86, and save money . . .
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=14398

Update: Mar. 17, 2011- My Guide and Files
Please do not post my guide and or the DSDT files anywhere else. All updates, revisions and news will be posted here on page one of this guide post. If you have a guide revision request, or feature contribution, or suggestions please let me know via PM.

Update: Mar. 17, 2011- Getting Help
To ask for help, for example with the DSDT you must provide clear details about your system specs and what you need help with. Don't assume we know what you are doing, or post in cryptic language, or expect us to go looking in previous posts for your specs. The following must be posted when asking any questions . . .
Zotac H55ITX board model, A-E or C-E, i.e Zotac H55ITX-A-E
Installed Zotac BIOS version, i.e. A130PA24
Graphics Card manufacturer, chipset and RAM size, i.e. EVGA GT220, 1GB
Mac OS X version, i.e Snow Leopard 10.6.6
Case Model and power supply size, i.e. Silverstone Sugo SG05-B, 300 Watt PSU
Type of monitor and connection, i.e. LCD VGA, or LCD DVI

Update: Mar. 26, 2011- Snow Leopard 10.6.7
It's a go for Snow Leopard 10.6.7 update. Download the update and install from your hard drive, make this your routine for all Apple updates and upgrades for trouble free installs.

You will have to re-install audio kext, i.e. AppleHDA 1.8.7 (Taruga & Kabyl patched version).

I upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.7 and have no issues to report, went like a normal Mac update. I only had to reinstall AppleHDA 1.8.7 (taruga & kabyl patched version). The ethernet worked untouched. I had to update SpamSieve, but that's a normal procedure every time Apple updates Mail. I don't have iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad to test, but all other USB seem to be OK. Tested connecting a drive and camera.

AppleHDA update: I'm using the AppleHDA 1.9.9 (Taruga & Kabyl patched version) but it does not support HDMI. The audio quality is the same, so use the 1.8.7 version if you want HDMI audio. Google search for "ALC888_AppleHDA_199f12_LayoutID_888" to find a download.

Enjoy and Thanks

First I'd like to thank tonymacx86 for hosting this project. I'd also like to thank Neil43 for posting the original project, testing my DSDT and his support and blessing to move the project here. Since it started using tonymacx86 tools and they continue to be the best for this board and all levels of Hackintosh building experience, including those new to Hackintosh, it is like a home coming. The project is now where it should be. There are also many people to thank for the programming aspects, so I thank them all.

The is a shortened version of what I wanted to post, due to upload limits on this site. For the whole story, Guide with pics and my DSDT files please download this package . . .
ZotacGuide.zip

As some of you know since last June 2010 we have had this board working fairly well with just a kext based install, the method of install was with iBoot and MultiBeast. Now I want to introduce you to my DSDT to fully enable Snow Leopard functionality.

This post will cover how to edit and install your own DSDT. I'll cut to the chase for those who have existing systems and want to upgrade to the DSDT. I have attached my vanilla DSDT and my edited version for BIOS version A130PA24 so you can compare your DSDT's to mine and make proper edits. I've also included a list of the edits to make searching the DSDT's easier (see revision note at top).

Zotac H55ITX-C-E board users are welcome to explore using my DSDT and to post results here. Thanks to SpeedracerX I had a chance to compare the Zotac H55ITX-C-E vanilla DSDT to the Zotac H55ITX-A-E, they are very similar. Following my prescribed edits should work, USB3 may require a small variant.

About The DSDT
First the DSDT news. I have 2 systems running Snow Leopard 10.6.6, Intel i3-550 and i5-750. There are others that have successful builds base on variants of i3, i5 and i7 that will post their results here. Keep in mind all of the following is relative to Snow Leopard 10.6.6.

Everything is working including the eSATA port, a bonus not supported by Apple. The most popular wishes of the past work now and have been verified, Speedstep, SPDIF audio, HDMI audio, Mic input, iPhone & iPod Touch connect with iTunes, and Graphics card support for full performance.

The graphics inclusion of the DSDT only supports variants of nVidia GeForce. This inclusion provides 2 key benefits, full graphics performance and HDMI audio support. Graphics performance, that seemed OK using Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler, was always slightly lacking. I would see jerky behaviour in some apps, such as moving windows. The result with the DSDT is very smooth action in all apps. The DSDT can be edited to support nVidia GeForce 8xxx and later, 8xxx, 9xxx, GT220 and GT240 have been successfully tested. I have provided detailed info as to how to do the edits correctly.

For audio I have chosen to implement a kext solution, a modified AppleHDA that supports HDMI audio. I did not include HDEF in the DSDT, this allows use of user preferred kext based audio such as AppleHDA and VoodooHDA variants. I tested several HDEF based solutions and AppleHDA variants and combinations of both. Some worked partially, incorrectly or not at all. I also tried "macman's" AppleHDA here at tonymacx86, but it didn't work. And none of the MultiBeast audio solutions work either. I have found all versions of VoodooHDA to date are buggy on this board, later versions are fatal, if you must have it use VoodooHDA 0.2.1, but you will not have HDMI audio. On that I chose to use a modified AppleHDA version 1.7.9 that works very well, providing audio quality better than VoodooHDA. It is the only one that registers ports correctly in "Sound Preferences" and supports HDMI and SPDIF audio, and Mic input. It doesn't have all rear ports enabled, but does provide typical Mac configuration.

Most important, now that we have proper power management everything works better and faster. The i3-550 in 64-bit mode gets GeekBench marks of 6736 and i5-750 gets 7724. Some of these improvements are thanks to Chameleon RC5 r699, and are also generally a combination of Chameleon, Snow Leopard 10.6.6, the DSDT and current Zotac BIOS version.

With better power management it is clear that a PSU (power supply unit) smaller than 200 watts will be inadequate, power users should use 300 watts and better. Before the DSDT, I had a build with i3-550 and 150 watt PSU that functioned well, with the DSDT installed I had system shutdowns and lockups, caused by insufficient power. 150 watts is possible but the CPU speed has to be reduced via the BIOS, i.e. I dropped the speed from 3.2GHz to 2.8GHz and it seemed to work fine. Since this is not a reliable solution, I replaced the PSU with a 275 watts unit. Now it's rock solid.

Important Compatibility and Performance Considerations
My DSDT has only been tested extensively with BIOS version A130PA24. It may work as well with earlier versions starting with A130PA19. Versions earlier than A130PA19 such as A130PA17 are not recommended because of key issues that were fixed after that. Early on there were reports and fears of bricking these boards, if you have BIOS A130PA17 or later you are good to go, just follow Zotac's guide. So far 4 have been reported to me as having no problems.

Since I won't be providing backward support with my DSDT, you should update your BIOS to A130PA24 or later for best results. Zotac has included a very good illustrated PDF guide with the updater. You will need "Windows Vista" or "Windows 7" to run the update software. I had no issues updating A130PA17 and A130PA19 to A130PA24. To do the update I used a 2.5" hard drive connected to an internal SATA port to install and run Vista. I also disconnected my Snow Leopard drives as safety precaution. Before disconnecting all the Snow drives I used "Disk Utility" to FAT format the drive with 2 partitions. I copied the Zotac BIOS files to the 2nd partition to make finding them easier while booted in Vista. I printed the BIOS install guide, disconnected my Snow drives and installed Vista. I didn't set anything up in Vista other than the requirements to get to the desktop. Vista came up in low resolution but that was fine to do the update. In only a few minutes the update was done, the update app backs up the current BIOS ROM and displays success verification at each step. When all done and back in Snow, I plugged the 2.5" drive in via USB and copied the backup BIOS to the Snow drives.

DSDT and Snow Leopard Installation Overview
For existing Snow Leopard systems skip step 2.

1.. Set your BIOS.
2.. Boot with iBoot (current version) until Snow Leopard updated to 10.6.6.
3.. Install the minimum requirements using MultiBeast (current version).
4.. Extract and edit your DSDT.
5.. Install your DSDT and any elected kext such as audio support.

Minimum Required Resources
A purchased Snow Leopard install DVD (10.6.0 and later, 10.6.3 or later recommended).
Current tonymacx86 iBoot and MultiBeast installers.
DSDTSE app (to extract and compile your own DSDT).
Apple Developer Tools "FileMerge" (to compare DSDT's)
Apple's "Text Edit" to edit your DSDT.
My DSDT's (to compare and edit to suite).
Your vanilla extracted DSDT using DSDTSE.

iBoot and MultiBeast installers are at tonymacx86 downloads page, login to download.
viewforum.php?f=69
For DSDTSE app Google search "DSDTSE", it's currently v1.4.3.
"FileMerge" is found in "/Developer/Applications/Utilities/" folder.
(You will need to install the Developer Tools when you Install Snow Leopard)
See the update notes at the top of this page for other recommendations.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Welcome Zotac H55ITX-A-E crew- this guide is super detailed! I'm massively impressed!

:clap: :clap:

Hello, thanks for your guide! Worked fine on my zotac h55 itx board (which I assume is A-E). Sleep and shutdown which I had problems with work properly now :)

However, I tried to enable my GT220 by using the dsdt as well, but it failed to get correct resolution. How do you mean by - "You may have to change the location of the graphics support in the DSDT, if you get a low resolution screen when Snow Leopard is running."?

Should I move the "Device (GFX0)" to the vanilla position if it doesn't work?

cheers

olav said:
Hello, thanks for your guide! Worked fine on my zotac h55 itx board (which I assume is A-E). Sleep and shutdown which I had problems with work properly now :)

However, I tried to enable my GT220 by using the dsdt as well, but it failed to get correct resolution. How do you mean by - "You may have to change the location of the graphics support in the DSDT, if you get a low resolution screen when Snow Leopard is running."?

Should I move the "Device (GFX0)" to the vanilla position if it doesn't work?

cheers

Hi;

Do not touch the vanilla "Device (GFX0)", the documentation advises that. The "Device (GFX0)" that supports your card is within a different device.

To see the correct location for your card, open IORegistryExplorer, in Utilities folder in Applications folder.

Type "display" in the search box.

In the left column you will see a hierarchy of items, look for something like "P0P1@1" 0r "P0P3@3".

Lets say it's "P0P3@3". In your DSDT the "Device (GFX0)" that needs to be added should be within "Device (P0P3)". Make sure you include the "Device (HDAU)" and "Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)" that follows the "Device (GFX0)" in the example code.

If it still eludes you lets us know.

Thanks

Thanks! Now I got it right, moved GFX0 section to P0P1, and now it's working perfect :)
I noticed that the performance of the graphics card is better now as well, 100 fps in WoW and before about 70 fps.

The line out is the yellow output now, I'm only getting mono from the green output (when selecting built in), maybe I damaged this one with my iphone headphones...

olav said:
Thanks! Now I got it right, moved GFX0 section to P0P1, and now it's working perfect :)
I noticed that the performance of the graphics card is better now as well, 100 fps in WoW and before about 70 fps.

The line out is the yellow output now, I'm only getting mono from the green output (when selecting built in), maybe I damaged this one with my iphone headphones...

Hi olav;

That's the kind of news I like to hear, about the graphics and all good things.

If you used the AppleHDA I referred to the Orange port on the A-E is line out. I have nothing from the rest. SPDIF is reported to work by another user. I have confirmed HDMI audio works. Front side port works and is indicated as Headphones is Sound Prefs. The front mic is registered as line in, and the rear mic works a mic, i.e. a typical PC headset with mic jack will work.

If you have USB3 then your board would be the C-E model. Could you please confirm so others know what board your issues and success are related to.

Thanks for reporting the results.

Hi, I have the A-E board (no USB3). The system feels really snappy now, comparing with other dsdt:s I tried before, the cpu temp seem to be lower when idling also (maybe placebo or change in ambient level).

Regarding sound I've tried line out on the back (orange) and it works. The frontpanel outputs audio when headphones is selected, but it only worked for line level, not headphones (tried it with an active speaker set and it sounded fine, but not for the two pair of headphones I've tried).

cheers

olav said:
Hi, I have the A-E board (no USB3). The system feels really snappy now, comparing with other dsdt:s I tried before, the cpu temp seem to be lower when idling also (maybe placebo or change in ambient level).

Regarding sound I've tried line out on the back (orange) and it works. The frontpanel outputs audio when headphones is selected, but it only worked for line level, not headphones (tried it with an active speaker set and it sounded fine, but not for the two pair of headphones I've tried).

cheers

Hi olav;

Lower temps is a attributed to code added to the DSDT. Accuracy we are not sure of, but using the touch test feels right. iStat and Hardware Monitor get similar readings.

On a relative basis I saw temps drop as much as 10ºC, which at least indicates the DSDT inclusion works. We now also know that we are using more power, which you would think should have raised the temps, so the end result adds up to an important improvement.

I have an i3-550 system that had temps on cold boot of about 35ºC, now they are as low as 20ºC and average 25ºC at idle. Some ventilation improvements helped, but your reports confirm what I found with 2 of my systems, a significant drop.

It's jus as important to post results of what is working, and benchmarks, as is to report issues. So please keep it all coming.

Thanks

Hi Mactition,

nice to see you "on the road" again.
Many thanks for the detailed guide and your dedication to the Hackintosh community.

My build:

Zotac h55 A-E (last bios)
i3 550
OCZ 8x2 gb ddr3 low voltage*
EVGA GT 240 1gb ddr3
Sugo SG05 case
Western digital 500 gb 2.5 HD
Sony Optiarc DVD 7700s
Swapped original azurewave wifi card with an ABR72 Atheros wifi card from a macbook

*RETURNED, because faulty. I am now running on 2 x1 GB of borrowed micron (aka crucial) RAM

The machine runs VERY smoohtly, sleep seems to work fine.
Audio works well, so far I tried yellow line out.
I did not tried HDMI or ethernet so far. Wi-fi works perfectly.

Geekbench scores 6630.

According to Temperature Monitor, the system is idling around 35 C.
While running geekbench temperature rose up to 60 C!

Too high...

This is probably due to my stock intel cooler, small case and cables clutter.
I will post more updates when I will tie the cables and close the case properly, I am still waiting for my new RAM.

Only weird thing, I am getting 4 cores temperatures...not two, with two cores idling let's say around 35-40 and two around 25-30...
Istat (any version pro/menus/2.0/5.0),does not work, I get no CPU temperatures.

PChealth from BIOS is providing a different temperature, CPU is idling around 45–50 C.
is it a realistic value?

Many Thanks

Machiavellic said:
Hi Mactition,

nice to see you "on the road" again.
Many thanks for the detailed guide and your dedication to the Hackintosh community.

My build:

Zotac h55 A-E (last bios)
i3 550
OCZ 8x2 gb ddr3 low voltage*
EVGA GT 240 1gb ddr3
Sugo SG05 case
Western digital 500 gb 2.5 HD
Sony Optiarc DVD 7700s
Swapped original azurewave wifi card with an ABR72 Atheros wifi card from a macbook

*RETURNED, because faulty. I am now running on 2 x1 GB of borrowed micron (aka crucial) RAM

The machine runs VERY smoohtly, sleep seems to work fine.
Audio works well, so far I tried yellow line out.
I did not tried HDMI or ethernet so far. Wi-fi works perfectly.

Geekbench scores 6630.

According to Temperature Monitor, the system is idling around 35 C.
While running geekbench temperature rose up to 60 C!

Too high...

This is probably due to my stock intel cooler, small case and cables clutter.
I will post more updates when I will tie the cables and close the case properly, I am still waiting for my new RAM.

Only weird thing, I am getting 4 cores temperatures...not two, with two cores idling let's say around 35-40 and two around 25-30...
Istat (any version pro/menus/2.0/5.0),does not work, I get no CPU temperatures.

PChealth from BIOS is providing a different temperature, CPU is idling around 45–50 C.
is it a realistic value?

Many Thanks

Hi Machiavellic;

I love the good news.

I don't think you need to upgrade the CPU cooler. Take a close look at how ventilation is working first, including the PSU's ventilation. If heat from other components such as GPU, PSU and HD's is being sucked into the CPU cooler then cooling is reduced.

In a compact case build using i3-550 I tried two non-Intel coolers with about 60 CFM fans and they made no difference worth mentioning, in fact increased noise levels. What did make a big difference was swapping the 60mm case fan and adding a 2nd 60mm fan. I used Silenx fans, they are almost silent and move lots of air. And I re-installed Intel stock cooler, which runs almost silent too. The stock Intel 1156 coolers are rated at about 35 CFM.

The net result is a super quiet cool running system. It does prove that ventilation is a very important factor, as we had suspected in early discussions. But it's not the only factor.

I'm planning to post that build ASAP.

Monitoring heat has been a problem, we don't know how accurate any of the readings are. That's why as a last resort I use touch test. If it was higher than 40ºC I think it would be too hot to touch. I don't think 60ºC under load is too high, it's well below the max. safe level of 72.6ºC. When GeekBench 64-bit runs it uses all cores and tops them out.

For iStat I use version 3.05, it displays all the CPU cores, later versions don't. The current version of Hardware Monitor displays all cores.

The extra cores reported for i3-550 might mean a DSDT tweak is needed, else it's Chameleon RC5. I'll look into this later.

I'm interested in hearing all news, good and issues.

Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back