Motherboard
Gigabyte H270-HD3
CPU
i5-7500
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. MacBook
So, I have been stuck on High Sierra for a while since I still have a Nvidia graphics card, which never got any drivers for later versions. Now with steam turning off support for OSX soon, I need some kind of upgrade plan.
Anyone has any good suggestions what would be the easiest to upgrade, in terms of hardware and software?

So, I have been stuck on High Sierra for a while since I still have a Nvidia graphics card, which never got any drivers for later versions. Now with steam turning off support for OSX soon, I need some kind of upgrade plan.
Anyone has any good suggestions what would be the easiest to upgrade, in terms of hardware and software?
easy way is to remove your nvidia card and use your intel graphics, you can upgrade to Ventura if required

Thank you. I'll probably get a second hand graphics card to swap it out, I was just worried if there were any other pitfalls to be aware of.

Thank you. I'll probably get a second hand graphics card to swap it out, I was just worried if there were any other pitfalls to be aware of.
Make sure you get a supported AMD graphics card (e.g. RX 580) instead of a Nvidia card if you want to use a dedicated graphics card instead of the CPU integrated graphics. Then you can upgrade to a more recent version (up to the latest Sonoma) if necessary.

Well, it looks like I made a bit of a mess, I tried to upgrade now and upgraded clover to 5157, where I now don't see my osx partition any more, just the windows one.

Also I am unsure how to actually upgrade, I tried to download the installers from the App Store, but it always says that the purchase could not be completed since the os doesn't support this machine.

Well, it looks like I made a bit of a mess, I tried to upgrade now and upgraded clover to 5157, where I now don't see my osx partition any more, just the windows one.

Also I am unsure how to actually upgrade, I tried to download the installers from the App Store, but it always says that the purchase could not be completed since the os doesn't support this machine.
when you upgraded clover, did you also add in all the new opencore elements that are required in your config.plist?

when you upgraded clover, did you also add in all the new opencore elements that are required in your config.plist?

I am afraid not, I just used the direct prompt to update when opening the clover partition with clover configurator.

I am afraid not, I just used the direct prompt to update when opening the clover partition with clover configurator.
ahh, that is the reason it won't boot

use your working original usb installer to boot back into mac and then copy back over your working EFI

It looks like this is going to take longer. The old USB installer shows the osx partitions, but can't boot into them.

Back