Register

Direct update from Mojave to Ventura?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS ULTRA GAMING WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
I am trying to update my Hackintosh from Mojave 10.14.6 (clover) to the latest Ventura OS. Is it possible to do a direct update? I did a vanilla install back in 2018 using clover and can't remember when I updated last.

I have tried several times the past couple of days on a clone of my main Hackintosh with no success. First a direct update from Mojave to Catalina following the update guide on this site (which failed). Then Mojave to Ventura (which failed again). My Hack is running Clover v5.9.3.0 (current boot revision 5105). I updated clover, kexts, and smbios (firmware only) on my clone using the config.plist for each update attempt, sometimes it didn't boot back up in order to install update. Other times when I was able to get back into the clone after updating clover and kexts, the install would freeze at the apple logo with no loading screen.

I know this is long winded, but I want to update. Other forums suggest to move to opencore, but I also really don't want to have to start fresh.

it might be more advisable to get a new disk/ssd, and install Ventura fresh
(in case things really foul up, you hv something to go back to)

I may try that, but I am interested in updating from my current SSD running Mojave.

I may try that, but I am interested in updating from my current SSD running Mojave.

Hi there.

If you wish to jump straight to Ventura you need to make a full backup of your apps and data for safety. This is because the intervening macOS versions actually updated a lot of core software incrementally. For example the APFS file system has been tweaked and improved on the way. This may be why your attempts at updating have failed - the jump is too far.

Really, @centraljava is right, you should install afresh to a second SSD.

But if you have a good reason to continue in your upgrade in one go, then you need the latest Clover bootloader, but be aware you still need to learn what is new because since your version the codebase has been changed fundamentally and now runs on top of the OpenCore runtimes. You need to set the correct "quirks" for example.

Your hardware is fine for Ventura, but there is a learning-curve even if you stick with Clover.

It might be better to upgrade to Catalina, then Big Sur, then Ventura.

Then perhaps you should make a bootable clone of your Mojave installation on a second SSD, making sure the clone boots and everything works fine, and then attempt to upgrade the original or clone, keeping the other SSD for backup?

But still I agree with the others that you really should just try to install Ventura on a brand new SSD instead of upgrading. Then after the new OS is working perhaps try to use Migration Assistant to migrate your data over.

Back