Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 4.03.52 PM.png
The macOS 14 Sonoma Public Beta is now available. Apple wants as many users as possible to test macOS Sonoma to provide constructive feedback before the official release later this fall. To participate in the free Public Beta, you must enroll in the Apple Beta Software Program using your Apple ID.

Enroll in the Free Apple Beta Software Program
https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/welcome

This site will allow discussion of this software and its installation for those who have enrolled. Therefore we’ve added new subforums for the beta where users can post for support: Sonoma Desktop Support, Sonoma Desktop Guides, Sonoma Laptop Support and Sonoma Laptop Guides.

If you're installing the Public Beta, let us know how it goes!

Related:

Last edited:
Please post help requests in the Sonoma Desktop Support Forum section (not in this thread).

Pre Update Notes
:
- This update may break some of your Ventura functions. Make sure you backup first. :thumbup:

Note: Before you update:
- make sure your USB ports are properly mapped. I recommend you use this procedure:

Here's the step by step way to update OC:
- Make sure you use the latest versions of the Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext and WhateverGreen.kext.

:ch:
Backup your current installation using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;

Update to the latest Clover or OpenCore 0.9.3 or newer.
See the tonymacx86 Clover Builds (in Download menu) to update Clover. To update your OpenCore, see this guide. To convert from Clover to Open Core, see this guide.
:ch: Download OCAuxiliaryTools (OCAT):
https://github.com/ic005k/OCAuxiliaryTools
:ch: Follow the OCAT Guide:
https://github.com/5T33Z0/OC-Little-Translated/blob/main/D_Updating_OpenCore/README.md
:ch: After completing the Update, reboot.
:ch: Upon reaching the Desktop, open the Terminal and execute:
Code:
nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:opencore-version
Confirm you have updated OC to 0.9.3 or newer.

Download the Sonoma Pubic Beta. Update from Apple's Mac App Store using System Preferences > Software Update, and run it - the updater will reboot upon completion.
Note: Update will reboot two times; each time Clover/OpenCore picks the correct boot partition. So, sit back and relax.​

Done! So far, another easy update!
:thumbup:

Please post help requests in the Sonoma Desktop Support Forum section (not in this thread).

Now that we can talk about the public beta, Apple removed IO80211FamilyLegacy support, and as such, WiFi is broken for our Fenvi cards. This stack was responsible for supporting the majority of wireless cards used on Macs, including machines up-to iMac18,x. Thus, USB wifi, or Ethernet will be necessary for Internet for now.

Is there even a Broadcom wifi card available at retail with native macOS Sonoma support... ?

Apple has clearly signalled that it is has begun the march towards the end of life for Intel macOS support. It is just a matter of time before the hammer is dropped in favor of Apple Silicon.

Now that we can talk about the public beta, Apple removed IO80211FamilyLegacy support, and as such, WiFi is broken for our Fenvi cards. This stack was responsible for supporting the majority of wireless cards used on Macs, including machines up-to iMac18,x. Thus, USB wifi, or Ethernet will be necessary for Internet for now.

Is there even a Broadcom wifi card available at retail with native macOS Sonoma support... ?

Apple has clearly signaled that it is has begun the march towards the end of life for Intel macOS support. It is just a matter of time before the hammer is dropped in favor of Apple Silicon.
Support for Intel WiFi in Sonoma.

So far the Wi-Fi is not working, but I was able to build everything up to date on my ThinkPad T480s.
2023-07-13.png

Continuity, AirPlay, Location Services, ApplePay doesn't work with those drivers.
Correct, unfortunately the Cards that do work in Sonoma to give the full Apple Experience like the Fenvi in Ventura no longer work in Sonoma. The ones that do work or all under license to Apple and not available to third party manufacturers.

The OCLP Devs are working on a solution but it is reported that the process could take up to and beyond 6 months, so if you depend on full Apple functionality, it's best to stick with Ventura and use Sonoma as a plaything.

There is an extensive reference list of Cards available that do work but unfortunately not available on the open market (at the moment) for the reason mentioned.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 00.55.05.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 00.55.05.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 316
Correct, unfortunately the Cards that do work in Sonoma to give the full Apple Experience like the Fenvi in Ventura no longer work in Sonoma. The ones that do work or all under license to Apple and not available to third party manufacturers.

The OCLP Devs are working on a solution but it is reported that the process could take up to and beyond 6 months, so if you depend on full Apple functionality, it's best to stick with Ventura and use Sonoma as a plaything.

There is an extensive reference list of Cards available that do work but unfortunately not available on the open market (at the moment) for the reason mentioned.

Strange situation considering all the older Macs that do support Sonoma. Mind you, we are at early beta just now.

Perhaps Intel wireless can be used instead? If a motherboard doesn't have it built-in, cards can be bought cheaply.

zxystd over on OpenIntelWireless seems to suggest itlwm.kext will work for now while he works on an upgrade.

Not a full solution for those who need the extra Apple services.

Strange situation considering all the older Macs that do support Sonoma.
Yes quite true, I don't know the technical ins and outs of that situation but aren't those Macs have the Combo Cards soldered onto the board? I don't know why the marginal difference that should/would make oppose to say a Fenvi or any other third party card.

Also Apple has dropped the Legacy kext that allowed the third party Cards to work as previous. This is all above my very limited knowledge on the subject but I think Apple won't restore the connectivity in Sonoma as in previous as we are 3-4 Betas in and nothing has changed in that direction.

The current WiFi work around is very limited and is only suited for mobility (Laptop) in my opinion and nothing else. My Fenvi offers excellent B/T but alas no WiFi in Sonoma but on the plus side I have Ethernet connection. I switch to Ventura for the full Apple Experience i.e 'Air Drop' and 'iPhone Camera to Mac' which I use on a daily basis.

At the moment Sonoma offers me nothing new that is earth shattering on my Hack apart from a bit of New OS feeling and Eye Candy and that's it that's where the excitement ends.

Back