RX 6900 XT / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello hope all are well here!

I used to clone with Carbon Copy Cloner and get a full bootable backup. I could do one partition to a partition, and this worked with Mojave. However, Catalina and after went deeper into snapshots and sealing the system volume

What is the consensus now on Ventura? Are we mostly moving to data only backups and fresh installs + migration assistant? Or does someone have a go to method?

I've tried these methods recommended online:

- Disk utility restore, from a different boot, from the same boot, from a recovery boot. Tried 2 different OSes, gets stuck on validating source, for an hour. Eventually I turn it off and it seems everytime that the system volume is correct, still named ASR, but the size is correct and the data volume is created but never begins

- Acronis True Image 2021. Pretty much stuck at 5% (right where it starts) for over 30 minutes. Even if it moved to 6% at that point, it would be 30x95 minutes, which is insane

- Clonezilla, seemed to work but said over 8 hours for 500gb. A bit unrealistic

- CCC, using the legacy method, takes extremely long then fails. It worked on my random slim OS, which had about 60gbs in total, but it took 3 hours. And this is an internal nvme going to an external nvme, in a 20gbps enclosure :O

For some additional insight, I'm looking to make a backup of my main, Ventura, about 500gbs. I also have a side Ventura, which I tested above just to test the cloning procedure with a different source.

I think something might be wrong with that nvme in the external, considering the ridiculous speeds. I'll try another one and chime back, meanwhile, does anyone else have any go to methods?
Are they bootable and how long do they usually take?

Thanks all!

I have the same question and this thread was the top answer...

I have the same question and this thread was the top answer...
My issue ended up being a faulty NVMe. I tried with a different one and CCC's legacy method and SuperDuper! Both worked a charm. SuperDuper doesn't give you a detailed progress bar, or speed, but it felt a bit faster than CCC

CCC's legacy method worked for me in Ventura:

1. Launch CCC
  2. Set Source and Destination
  3. Right click Destination and select "Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant"
  4. Click "Allow CCC to erase"
  5. Click Start and wait to complete
  6. Open HackinDROM
  7. Mount EFI partitions on Source and Destination
  8. Copy EFI folder from Source to Destination
  9. Test by rebooting and selecting the backup from the OpenCore Boot Picker

Last edited:
Apple's Disk Utility Restore worked a charm today too. Just no speed / progress bar, just like Super Duper. I can recommend CCC the most but it is also the only paid option of the 3

Also, RE: 7, I would not recommend mounting both EFI partitions at the same time, macOS has (or at least had) a bug where it can't work with 2 EFIs mounted at the same time. It will mostly work fine but once or twice is enough to make one use a different method lol.

So copy it to the documents or where ever, unmount the source EFI, then mount the destination, and copy the folder. for the truest of testing, you can even disconnect the source (back in the day if you made a clone, they would both have the same UUID and partition UUID, so sometimes Clover would try to boot your new clone, and end up booting the source, and vice versa. you can also double check by running disk utility after it boots and checking disk0. I think most cloners now generate a new UUID at the end for this reason and this most likely isnt an issue now. I remember this with Clover though lol)

I've done it recently.
  • Cloned the system drive with SuperDuper
  • Mounted both EFI partitions (the old one and the new, empty, one)
  • Copied the entire content of the old EFI partition to the new EFI
  • Rebooted and set up BIOS to boot from the new EFI.

Back