Contribute
Register

GA-B75M-HD3 / PNY GeForce GT640 /Intel Gigabit CT / Soundblaster Omni Surround Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B75-HD3
CPU
i5-3470
Graphics
PNY nvidia GeForce 640
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Successfully upgraded the above hardware to OS X 10.10 this weekend. Everything is working right now except USB 3.0. Below are the steps I followed.

1) Back up your OS X 10.9 drive. This is extremely important, and it is the only way you're going to be able to return quickly to a working state if something goes wrong (and the chances are high that something will go wrong). I highly recommend using SuperDuper as a backup tool. It clones your drive to a bootable copy that Chimera will immediately detect and offer as a start menu option. Rolling back couldn't be easier.

2) Run a quick permissions repair in Disk Utility. In my case it did not fix anything, but this can only help.

3) If you have the SB Omni Surround (or any third party USB sound card for that matter) disconnect it and ​uninstall any third party drivers. There are no Yosemite-compatible SB drivers as of this time and they will screw up your installation.

4) Boot your machine to BIOS and disable the XHCI controller (this is specific to this mobo; other models may not have to do this).

5) Disconnect any non-essential hardware- scanners, printers, etc. from the machine. Install the latest version of Chimera and copy the MultiBeast Yosemite edition to your drive so that you can run it later.

6) Do not start the upgrade from within OS X 10.9. This method is not compatible with Chimera. Instead, boot your machine from the UniBeast created OS X Yosemite USB and follow the on-screen instructions to install over your OS X 10.9 instance.

7) When the install is complete, restart your machine per the instructions. If it fails to boot, try booting with the -v and -x flags. If you get the "unable to find mach_kernel" error, specify the following boot line:

/System/Library/Kernels/kernel -x -v (note: -x and -v are optional, use them if you need to)

8) When the setup/optimization process is complete, run Multibeast. This is what I selected (again, specific to my hardware- does not apply to all configurations):

mbeast.jpg

9) Once MultiBeast completes, reboot the machine; again, if reboot hangs or fails try with the -v option.

10) Once the system has booted successfully and is stable, connect your peripherals once again one at a time. The SoundBlaster will work with the native OS X drivers albeit without all of the effects and the equalizer. Numerous customers have already demanded driver updates for Yosemite from Creative Labs...they will be forthcoming, hopefully.

Once you're satisfied with the configuration and the operation of the system you can once again use SuperDuper to move it over to wherever you like (if you're like me, you did your testing on a spare mechanical drive as I don't have extra SSDs). Before you attempt to use SuperDuper to migrate a Yosemite installation, make sure to upgrade it to the latest, Yosemite-compatible version.

If I get USB3.0 working (not a top priority for me because I use eSATA drives) I will share what I did.

Bask in the glory...

I also have the GA-B75M-HD3 motherboard and I use the standard Realtek ethernet NIC. Can I ask why you decided to go with the Intel Gigabit CT card and does it work in OS X without adding an Intel NIC option from MultiBeast?

Is there any speed or reliability improvements with large file movements over ethernet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back