Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 8930 Big Sur 11.4 (upgraded from Catalina 10.15.7), RX580/UHD630, OpenCore

Just to report:

- latest Big Sur 11.7.6 update;
- OC 0.8.8 (no need for me to goes higher now);
- latest BIOS update 1.1.30.

Everything running perfectly!

Hello !
Did someone try to install Sonoma on the Dell 8930 ?
It should not be too difficult, except from the WIFI thing which requires some kexts and tweaking + OCLP...

Hello !
Did someone try to install Sonoma on the Dell 8930 ?
It should not be too difficult, except from the WIFI thing which requires some kexts and tweaking + OCLP...
Sorry, just installed latest Ventura yesterday. I was still on Big Sur 11.7.10…

Well, back to Big Sur: random black screen (once or twice a week) in Ventura with no reaction after sleep. Some message related to SAT0 not entering suspend mode in logs… Same when I tried briefly Sonoma.

A bit off topic but I do not like the way MacOS is going, more like iOS but I also understand that Mac Intel is near the end and the M chips are Apple’s future now!

Your main macOS drive is a SATA one or the internal NVME SSD ?
On mine standby / sleep mode works great. Had only to disable completely Hibernate mode because it had some random impacts from time to time.

Sonoma is 100% OK, I only had to apply this guide :

It allows to enable WIFI on Broadcom chip (Sonoma dropped WIFI support on these cards).

Your main macOS drive is a SATA one or the internal NVME SSD ?
On mine standby / sleep mode works great. Had only to disable completely Hibernate mode because it had some random impacts from time to time.

Sonoma is 100% OK, I only had to apply this guide :

It allows to enable WIFI on Broadcom chip (Sonoma dropped WIFI support on these cards).
Internal NVME and I’ve just made officially (today!) the transition from Ventura to Big Sur. This, by cloning the external SSD Big Sur test drive to the NVME I was using since my latest reply. No random out-of-sleep-black-screen-needing-hard-reset trouble :) with Big Sur.

I‘ve still re-tested Ventura (as it was still on the NVME) once in a while and discovered that my newly acquired Pioneer BDR-XD07S (3 or 4 days ago, nothing to do with the SAT0 log messages) external USB3 DVD BluRay writer had problems with Ventura (not recognized randomly).

I think it has to do (maybe) with my choice of SMBIOS (iMacPro1,1) as the Ventura boot verbose was polluted with some messages like (not mine, found elsewhere):

Code:
[ 1038.918994]: [AHCI][PRT][00170050] AbortCommands::5382:Port 5 - called, deviceWithError 0, errCode = 0xe0030005
[ 1039.922332]: [AHCI][PRT][00170050] AbortCommands::5382:Port 5 - called, deviceWithError 0, errCode = 0xe0030005
[ 1040.926057]: [AHCI][PRT][00170050] AbortCommands::5382:Port 5 - called, deviceWithError 0, errCode = 0xe0030005

As I’ve learnt, Ventura doesn’t expect a SATA DVD writer on an iMacPro and throw these messages…

The messages I had after failed sleep/black screen in the PM logs were something like (again, not mine):

Code:
2020-02-07 10:57:52 -0500 Failure Failure during sleep: SAT0(AppleIntelPchSeriesAHCI): Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState

Even with a special SSDT inserting some PTS (Prepare To Sleep) delay, it was still no dice!

Sure, I could had tested with another SMBIOS or simply unplug the internal SATA CD/DVD writer but like said, I also found Ventura quite weird (for me) and also, none the least, that the CPU was idling at a much higher temp than in Big Sur. Yes, verified that CPU power management was ok with Intel Power Gadget but definitely noticed that general CPU usage looked to be higher, even on idle.

As for Sonoma, it was a pain to make my ASUS Wifi PCIe (Broadcom 4360) card running with the help of OCLP and I would guess that the maneuver would have to be done each time there is an upgrade to Sonoma. BTW, sleep-wake-black screen happened way more often during my brief Sonoma tests!

So, this one will remain at Big Sur and I am not worried as my old MacBook Pro early 2011 stayed on Sierra and my DAW machine (Gigabyte Designare Z390) will stay forever on Mojave…

However, glad to know that you have a well working XPS 8930 under Sonoma and sorry for my looooong rant and explanation :).

Last edited:
No it was interesting to read !
It's weird about the Broadcom issue because on my Ventura Setup, my Broadcom is detected and fully operational out of the box without any kext or OCLP.
OCLP is only needed in Sonoma because Apple dropped all support for all the Broadcom chips (except those in the latests iMac that you can only find on these iMacs, soldered chips. You can't buy them separately).

And regarding Big Sur, Apple dropped all the software support last month for this version so you won't receive any updates (fix or security) on it. I really recommend that you upgrade at least on Monterey, but try to make the journey to Sonoma. And yes you will need to apply OCLP after each update, but it takes only 30 seconds + 1 reboot to do so. And that's only for WIFI. I'm connected through wired Ethernet so WIFI is only for Airdrop / handoff / continuity features...

No it was interesting to read !
It's weird about the Broadcom issue because on my Ventura Setup, my Broadcom is detected and fully operational out of the box without any kext or OCLP.
OCLP is only needed in Sonoma because Apple dropped all support for all the Broadcom chips (except those in the latests iMac that you can only find on these iMacs, soldered chips. You can't buy them separately).

And regarding Big Sur, Apple dropped all the software support last month for this version so you won't receive any updates (fix or security) on it. I really recommend that you upgrade at least on Monterey, but try to make the journey to Sonoma. And yes you will need to apply OCLP after each update, but it takes only 30 seconds + 1 reboot to do so. And that's only for WIFI. I'm connected through wired Ethernet so WIFI is only for Airdrop / handoff / continuity features...
Thanks for the suggestion and the warning about end of support for Big Sur. However, I am not afraid (and know the risks involved) to stay on a good old unsupported MacOS version (Sierra, Mojave and Big Sur).

As already said, my Sonoma experience wasn’t that great but sure, I could test drive a Monterey install.

Patrice

Back