Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon (Gen 3, 2015 Model) using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My turn to give something back - here's an EFI folder for OpenCore 0.7.6, with all of the latest drivers as at December 2021.

The good news...
  • Everything is working - keyboard shortcuts and backlight, sleep/wake, audio, ethernet, wifi, Bluetooth, USB (using USBMap - note I don't have a docking station so this is just the native ports), webcam, FileVault and iMessage
  • It's been rock solid for me over the past couple of months
  • You can use Software Update as normal
Caveats...
  • Make sure you update the MLB, SystemSerialNumber and SystemUUID in the PlatformInfo section before using this
  • This is set up for a DW1560 wireless and Bluetooth card, so you'll need to update if using something else
  • I've tweaked the VoodooInput kext so the touchpad is a bit smoother and lowered the typing timeout. This does mean it's an older version, so make sure you disable 'Force Click and haptic feedback' in touchpad settings

Credits to @jcsnider and @RehabMan for the original guide, and @miskz for porting it over to OpenCore

Attachments

• X1C3-OC076-DW1560.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 196
Thanks for sharing @thechris.sn

I just now got around to upgrading my X1C to Monterey and using your configuration above made it super simple. I haven't really tested much yet except I am at the desktop and everything 'appears' to be working.

Thanks to the folks behind OpenIntelWireless I am back to using the Intel 7265 wifi card that came with my Thinkpad for beautifully functional wifi in windows, osx, and linux. (I do not care about continuity or any of the advanced wifi features, just basic web browsing so I cannot really attest to if those features work -- they probably do not.)

Glad to be rid of the 1820A though -- it never worked well in Windows and booting into OSX only worked 20% of the time with it due to various issues I could never solve.

If anyone follows my footsteps it's pretty straight forward.. but modify his config.plist and change the ScanPolicy so it will show your install media as a boot option.

Edit: I am having trouble with my Trackpoint/Trackpad.... if I use Rehabman's VoodooPS2Controller.kext the trackpoint works fine, but the trackpad has what feels like a sensitivity issue.. the mouse hardly moves and is very jerky.

If I use the newer VoodooPS2Controller by Acidanthera the touchpoint does not work at all, and the trackpad only works for a few minutes but then it just stops moving. (I can still click but no movement at all.)

Any advice?

Edit 2: Seems to work okay using VoodooRMI + Acidanthera's VoodooPs2Controller.... That said the trackpoint isn't nearly as smooth but workable at least.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing @thechris.sn

I just now got around to upgrading my X1C to Monterey and using your configuration above made it super simple. I haven't really tested much yet except I am at the desktop and everything 'appears' to be working.

Thanks to the folks behind OpenIntelWireless I am back to using the Intel 7265 wifi card that came with my Thinkpad for beautifully functional wifi in windows, osx, and linux. (I do not care about continuity or any of the advanced wifi features, just basic web browsing so I cannot really attest to if those features work -- they probably do not.)

Glad to be rid of the 1820A though -- it never worked well in Windows and booting into OSX only worked 20% of the time with it due to various issues I could never solve.

If anyone follows my footsteps it's pretty straight forward.. but modify his config.plist and change the ScanPolicy so it will show your install media as a boot option.

Edit: I am having trouble with my Trackpoint/Trackpad.... if I use Rehabman's VoodooPS2Controller.kext the trackpoint works fine, but the trackpad has what feels like a sensitivity issue.. the mouse hardly moves and is very jerky.

If I use the newer VoodooPS2Controller by Acidanthera the touchpoint does not work at all, and the trackpad only works for a few minutes but then it just stops moving. (I can still click but no movement at all.)

Any advice?

Edit 2: Seems to work okay using VoodooRMI + Acidanthera's VoodooPs2Controller.... That said the trackpoint isn't nearly as smooth but workable at least.

Good to know the Intel card is now well-supported - the DW1820 I've got seems to top out around 240Mbps while also being heavy on CPU - I might try putting the original back in.

Re the trackpoint/trackpad I had issues with the latest drivers too - in the zip there are previous versions of VoodooPS2Controller and VoodooInput which seem to work well. Very occasionally the touchpad won't work on boot but a reboot sorts it. Both touchpad and trackpoint are happy with normal-ish settings and multi-touch works. The only downside is that you have to disable Force Click otherwise it thinks pressing down on the pad is special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back