Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon (Gen 3, 2015 Model) using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, updated version of my EFI.

Changes:
  • OpenCore 0.5.5, accompanying kexts updated to most recent versions where possible (pretty much everything bar CodecCommander and IntelMausi)
  • USB Ports mapped, no longer relying on USBInjectAll (yes, I mapped with official docking station so no worries there)
  • ACPIBatteryManager.kext replaced with VirtualSMC battery plugin, no longer reports faulty battery but needs long term testing if reporting is correct
  • AirportBrcmFixup.kext , BrcmPatchRAM3.kext and other stuff for DW1560 wireless/bluetooth
  • Sleep on lid close seems to be better but still hit or miss [edit]after a day I'd say it's working fine, might take time to kick in when not on battery but I think that's expected[/edit]
Usual disclaimer on dummy serial number, please generate valid one for FaceTime, compile own ACPI hot-patch files etc. OpenCore config will have some settings specific to my locale (default language, wireless region), should be trivial to change (I live in PotatoLand but only ironically).

Might retry with DW1820A again and sell DW1560 to some sucker. I swear I'm starting to think some people discourage DW1820A for shady reasons. I'm looking at you, mods at /r/hackintosh locking all DW1820A threads after pinning parroted garbage as top-level comment. This might be tinfoil1000 but I believe they might own a stock of DW1560/DW1830 they need to resell at current absurd prices.

Thank you, I have used the EFI you provided, it's excellent, but there is a small problem, my laptop wakes up from sleep mode with a black screen, how can I solve this problem?

Thank you, I have used the EFI you provided, it's excellent, but there is a small problem, my laptop wakes up from sleep mode with a black screen, how can I solve this problem?
Does that happen every time? Mine generally works, wake from sleep issue happens but is very rare. Also, to make sure, you're waking with power button, right?

Does that happen every time? Mine generally works, wake from sleep issue happens but is very rare. Also, to make sure, you're waking with power button, right?

Yes, it happens everytime.
Now I have HIDPI turned on, but no EDID is injected (https://github.com/xzhih/one-key-hidpi), and the wake from sleep issue does not happen, but the black screen issue happens when booting, I need to long press the power button or press ctrl + shift + Insert to light the screen.
And when I inject EDID (https://github.com/xzhih/one-key-hidpi), the wake from sleep issue happen, and the black screen issue will not happen when booting.
So how can I solve this problem?

Last edited:
Enable legacy boot in bios?

Enable legacy boot in bios?

After enable legacy boot, the issue still happens. Could you tell me how you fix the EDID?

Furthermore, it is stuck on the the progress bar interface when it wakes from hibernate (mode = 25)?

Last edited:

Changes:
  • OpenCore 0.5.5, accompanying kexts updated to most recent versions where possible (pretty much everything bar CodecCommander and IntelMausi)
  • USB Ports mapped, no longer relying on USBInjectAll (yes, I mapped with official docking station so no worries there)
  • ACPIBatteryManager.kext replaced with VirtualSMC battery plugin, no longer reports faulty battery but needs long term testing if reporting is correct
  • AirportBrcmFixup.kext , BrcmPatchRAM3.kext and other stuff for DW1560 wireless/bluetooth
  • Sleep on lid close seems to be better but still hit or miss [edit]after a day I'd say it's working fine, might take time to kick in when not on battery but I think that's expected[/edit]
Usual disclaimer on dummy serial number, please generate valid one for FaceTime, compile own ACPI hot-patch files etc. OpenCore config will have some settings specific to my locale (default language, wireless region), should be trivial to change (I live in PotatoLand but only ironically).

Might retry with DW1820A again and sell DW1560 to some sucker. I swear I'm starting to think some people discourage DW1820A for shady reasons. I'm looking at you, mods at /r/hackintosh locking all DW1820A threads after pinning parroted garbage as top-level comment. This might be tinfoil1000 but I believe they might own a stock of DW1560/DW1830 they need to resell at current absurd prices.
I'm not super sure how to use opencore, I am familiar with clover but I think I might be looking at switching now. Do you have any resources that helped you understand opencore? I was looking at the vanilla install guide they have for laptops and was definitely struggling to understand some of the pieces they were describing. So I guess there's two things I'm looking for here. First, how do I actually use this EFI that you've created? Second, is there a comprehensive guide or resource out there to help me understand how to use opencore(similar to the rehabman content).
Thanks a bunch!

Hi, I'm trying to install catalina with OC but even if everything is set correctly I can't start the installation. it is as if you have problems with NVRAM. could you give me the detailed bios settings? i have the latest official version of bios.

Changes:

for some reason this package oc does not show the installation media and only shows nvram

Changes:

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Note that in order to get this working with FileVault I had to make the tweaks set out here: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/security/filevault.html

One question about Bluetooth - I'm on Mojave so the PatchRAM3 + BrcmBluetoothInjector combo isn't working for me. I've tried every permutation of PatchRAM2 with/without injector and FirmwareData/FirmwareRepo but Bluetooth doesn't want to play. I'm wondering if there's a USB mapping setting I need to tweak - any ideas?

Maybe related - I'm seeing an 'OCS failed to parse string field of type 2' warning at power on, though this doesn't seem to affect boot.

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Note that in order to get this working with FileVault I had to make the tweaks set out here: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/security/filevault.html

One question about Bluetooth - I'm on Mojave so the PatchRAM3 + BrcmBluetoothInjector combo isn't working for me. I've tried every permutation of PatchRAM2 with/without injector and FirmwareData/FirmwareRepo but Bluetooth doesn't want to play. I'm wondering if there's a USB mapping setting I need to tweak - any ideas?

Maybe related - I'm seeing an 'OCS failed to parse string field of type 2' warning at power on, though this doesn't seem to affect boot.
with OpenCore, this layout should work:
Code:
<dict>
                <key>Arch</key>
                <string>x86_64</string>
                <key>BundlePath</key>
                <string>AirportBrcmFixup.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext</string>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <key>ExecutablePath</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>MinKernel</key>
                <string>19.0.0</string>
                <key>PlistPath</key>
                <string>Contents/Info.plist</string>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Arch</key>
                <string>x86_64</string>
                <key>BundlePath</key>
                <string>AirportBrcmFixup.kext</string>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <string>Contents/MacOS/AirportBrcmFixup</string>
                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>MinKernel</key>
                <string>19.0.0</string>
                <key>PlistPath</key>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Arch</key>
                <string>x86_64</string>
                <key>BundlePath</key>
                <string>BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext</string>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <string></string>
                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>MinKernel</key>
                <string>19.0.0</string>
                <key>PlistPath</key>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Arch</key>
                <string>x86_64</string>
                <key>BundlePath</key>
                <string>BrcmFirmwareData.kext</string>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <string>Contents/MacOS/BrcmFirmwareData</string>
                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>MinKernel</key>
                <string>19.0.0</string>
                <key>PlistPath</key>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Arch</key>
                <string>x86_64</string>
                <key>BundlePath</key>
                <string>BrcmPatchRAM3.kext</string>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <string>Contents/MacOS/BrcmPatchRAM3</string>
                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>MinKernel</key>
                <string>19.0.0</string>
                <key>PlistPath</key>
            </dict>

and make sure to setup your usb ports properly otherwise it will not work (make sure wifi is set to internal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back