Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already updated my guide with respect to X.M.P. .... Once more thanks for the constructive reminder !

Not it reads:

View attachment 276495

After Updating System time and System Date, enable X.M.P for your DDR4 modules. Don't forget to enable the EZ XMP Switch previously to this step on your ASUS Mainboard! Subsequently switch form the easy to the advanced ASUS BIOS Setup mode by pressing F7.

As I said... I basically forgot to update and mention this basic requirement subsequently in my guide. The included picture was misleading without any bad intention and originated from a very early setup of my build. Thus the guide was indeed wrong and not complete at this place! One more many thanks for your constructive reminder!
You are of course welcome.

Please accept some other advice:
To improve the readability of your guides, avoid the use of "previously" and "subsequently" within steps of the guide. I'm not specifically talking about those two words, but instead about "temporal relocation". It can make an otherwise simple sequence of steps confusing for new hackers. Image a cooking recipe where the author kept talking about things that would be required when cooking, during description of ingredient preparation, and left out important prep points until the description of cooking. It is like watching one of those awful movies where the timeline keeps jumping forward and backward - "flash backs" and "flash forwards". Instead I recommend a simple sequence (1, 2, 3, ...) perhaps broken into major sections as you have done (eg Prerequisites, BIOS, Creating Installation Media, First Boot, ...).
Also:
- avoid external references to (or worse, dependencies upon) other guides;
- avoid mixing talk of upgrade/clean install (these should be separate guides);
- avoid waffle about your future aims; and
- avoid celebrating your own achievement (if you do this others will take care of that for you).
All of these things detract from the readability that would otherwise result in more acclaim for your guide (if that is your goal).
Most important of all - particularly given the history, fragmentation, constant change and general user experience level of this endeavour (and other fora) - ALWAYS explain succinctly WHY you are advising a particular step be performed or configuration option be selected so that it is clear that the step is indeed necessary and so people with slightly different situations can judge for themselves if those actions are appropriate to their circumstances. It will greatly improve the value of your guides to a wider audience.

Actually, that is true.. sometimes it's not so easy to understand everything...
but I like very much that 'different" way.. how he do it :)
and understand problem is more 'my problem' or people like me 'with some language wholes/lacks'
At this moment I can't say anything to improve that guide because IT's IS AMAZING :D
Like I said before... so huge and detailed :D - I really like it very much!
First real 'pro' guide with all things 'from A to Z' like we said in France or Poland :p

PS: BTW your long posts are good motivation for me - to move my ass
and learn more EN language (because after 8years in France with french, my english is much worst than before...) :p

Last edited:
I'm certain it is much better than my Polish or German. I always try to resist judging English spelling or grammar on web fora because, despite the extent to which it can make my eyes bleed, I would much prefer non-English speakers make a reasonable effort at English than withdraw completely to their native fora and deny us their potential insight.

I had 2 little questions, but I found answer so.... :D
hmm.. we can't delete our posts :p

Last edited:
Wow. I've been following this thread since it started and was a little surprised to see that the page count had suddenly jumped up by about 5 pages. That surprise turned to disappointment when I discovered that most of it was pointless bickering.

Guys, you need to remember that this is a collaborative forum. KGP, whilst we're all appreciative of the work you've done, you do come across as a little too aggressive in the defence of your methodology. There's no need to be so hostile. If you disagree with someone, fine - explain why, but do so politely. No one is here to cause trouble or to sabotage your work.

Anyway, I look forward to continued development of X299 builds and can't wait to see some more build guides :)

I had 2 little questions, but I found answer so.... :D
hmm.. we can't delete our posts :p
Wow. I've been following this thread since it started and was a little surprised to see that the page count had suddenly jumped up by about 5 pages. That surprise turned to disappointment when I discovered that most of it was pointless bickering.

Guys, you need to remember that this is a collaborative forum. KGP, whilst we're all appreciative of the work you've done, you do come across as a little too aggressive in the defence of your methodology. There's no need to be so hostile. If you disagree with someone, fine - explain why, but do so politely. No one is here to cause trouble or to sabotage your work.

Anyway, I look forward to continued development of X299 builds and can't wait to see some more build guides :)

I don't really know what to say in response to your comment... and the last thing I want is to continue with the entire unpleasant discussion... so please lets stop at this point! I just question myself on how to answer polite on hostil, offensive and unfair comments or statements in public.. Things certainly can be said, adressed and discussed in a different, more professional and more polite way at both sides. While I get suspended from the forum because of minimal issues for several days, apparently my thread seems to be an open trash pin for anybody not sharing my opinion and approach...

Well... what to say... I am thinking seriously on stopping my apparently anyway not very welcome support and contributions to avoid a repetition of the unpleasant experience I had to face this weekend..

All the best,

KGP

KGP - please don't take my comment as an attack. I was trying to be constructive with my comments. I truly do appreciate the work you are doing and hope you continue to do so :) I was merely trying to say that criticism can often be helpful and shouldn't always be so fiercely resisted!

KGP - please don't take my comment as an attack. I was trying to be constructive with my comments. I truly do appreciate the work you are doing and hope you continue to do so :) I was merely trying to say that criticism can often be helpful and shouldn't always be so fiercely resisted!

I did not take your comment bad at all... Don't worry ;)

You could use imagemagick. With homebrew:
Code:
$ brew install imagemagick
$ convert -strip -quality 75 in.png out.jpg
If you want to resize:
Code:
$ convert -strip -quality 75 -resize 1280 in.png out.jpg
BTW - I forgot to mention you can also do this using built-in tools.

sips -o -Z 1024 -s dpiHeight 72.0 -s dpiWidth 72.0 -s format jpeg -s formatOptions 80 image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back