Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] USB ports map for macOS with USBToolBox

@MissCatD
I have never needed usbdump to do the port mapping in Windows, I really don't know what the problem you have may be.
2 years ago, when I made my first port map, I did it precisely with Hackintool and it worked fine. The advantage of USBToolBox in Windows is the ease of doing it but, if it doesn't work for you, you can try Hackintool.
I can't find any recent instructions for doing this with Hackintool. Hackintool's help has some useful instructions, although they are a bit out of date.
You have another option: corpnewt's usbmap, with instructions made by the OpenCore developers.

Yeah, I just ended up resorting to Hackintool. (> <) Seems fine, so far, but still need to test port speeds. (^ ^) ..Still experiencing issues getting my Bluetooth to turn on while using my mobo-Intel card, though.. Hm.. ...I could just plug in my Fenvi, but I'm stubborn, and still want to try to get it working, without it. (T¬T)

I went through the issues on the USBToolBox site and there are others where the tool does not gather the controllers. The writer of the toolbox notes to try this version in this link: Version for Controller gathering stall
I have not tried it so I cannot report. However, others report their Bluetooth controller being the issue, and or driver, and moving to Win 11 from 10 cures the stall problem.
You must have a GitHub account to download from the supplied link.

Yeah, I finally gave up and just plugged in my Fenvi. Bluetooth all good, now. Very unusually, though, both Mac and Windows are now picking up both my Fenvi and Intel Wifi signals (when both are plugged in, of course). It makes selecting Wifi a little wonky, in Mac, but if I toggle things on and off enough, I seem to be able to get the improved speeds of the Intel card (a whopping 100-200mbps faster), alongside the Airdrop benefits of my Fenvi's Bluetooth. Hm. Weird. But works for now.

Besides that, after a successful USB Map, I plugged in a ton of LEDs on an attached internal-USB-hub, and suddenly... I lost my case's front 2.0 ports. (-___-) Sigh. Time for a re-map.... ..Strange, I didn't think using a USB-hub would contribute to the cap. My mistake, I suppose.

Yeah, I finally gave up and just plugged in my Fenvi. Bluetooth all good, now. Very unusually, though, both Mac and Windows are now picking up both my Fenvi and Intel Wifi signals (when both are plugged in, of course). It makes selecting Wifi a little wonky, in Mac, but if I toggle things on and off enough, I seem to be able to get the improved speeds of the Intel card (a whopping 100-200mbps faster), alongside the Airdrop benefits of my Fenvi's Bluetooth. Hm. Weird. But works for now.

Besides that, after a successful USB Map, I plugged in a ton of LEDs on an attached internal-USB-hub, and suddenly... I lost my case's front 2.0 ports. (-___-) Sigh. Time for a re-map.... ..Strange, I didn't think using a USB-hub would contribute to the cap. My mistake, I suppose.
Turn off the onboard intel card wireless and bluetooth in the bios if you only want to see the Fenvi card

Turn off the onboard intel card wireless and bluetooth in the bios if you only want to see the Fenvi card
Well of course! (^ ^) Through a series of unplugging and plugging back in both, I tested each. I'm rather in favor of having airdrop through the Fenvi and a higher internet speed through the Intel. We'll see if it holds up. if not, I'll just end up unplugging the Intel. All good.

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I'm using USBToolBox to map my USB ports on an ASRock Z490 Phantom ITX/TB3 board. I'm running the Windows version of USBToolBox from a Windows PE boot disk. I'm still a little confused about companion ports. I've disabled the automatic binding of companion ports in the settings.

All my physical Type A ports are USB3. There is one Thunderbolt port. Let's say for example I plug a USB2 drive into one port. In USBTB, it shows port 4 as a Type A USB 2.0 port with the drive attached. When I plug in a USB3 drive to the same port, it shows up under port 18 which is the companion of port 4 and shows as a USB3 Type A.

Now when I go to select and map the ports, it now shows the port 4 guess as a Type A USB2 | USB3 port and the result in the kext output will show it as type 3 (Type A USB3).

So my question is, do I still need to select port 18 as well as port 4? They both show up in the kext as type 3. I did enable both for all my ports and it is working but just wondering if that was really necessary. It puts me right at the 15 port limit as it stands now if I counted correctly. The Thunderbolt port uses one port from the main controller 26, but also uses a USB2 and a USB3 from a secondary 4 port controller, so I didn't count those 2 slots in the 15 since they are on a separate controller.

I could force the USB 2.0 ports (like port 4) to type 0 (Type A USB 2.0) and still have port 18 enabled as type 3 if that would make a better difference.

If you want 4 and 18 to work as a slow and fact port, they both must be chosen, and Type'd separately if Binding is off.
Thunderbolt is most likely a separate controller except for the slow companion, so it has its own 15 max limit as you said. If there are companions that you want active, and one is 3.0 and one is 0 then choose 3 for both not 0 and 3.
Edhawk can clarify if I am wrong.

You are not wrong. Both ports should be set with the same connector type, in this case USB3 (3).

Although I don't understand the logic of turning off the companion port discovery, it is a helpful feature if you are aware of what it does and its limitations.

When it is enabled you still need to test each port with both a USB2, USB3 or Type-C device to confirm which port is which. It just gives you a pointer as to which port you should expect to be paired with another.

@brucehvn
As @Edhawk says, both USB2 and USB3 ports are typed as 3. Internal ports (those on the motherboard) are typed as internal 255 although a lot of users set them as 3 and they work fine.
For me was easier to build the kext on Windows turning off companion ports.

I remember recalling certain ports take up "2 ports". Is that right? I just want to make sure before buying my motherboard that has 11 USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports (USB-A). Asking whether that means only half are used?

Back