Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] Wi-Fi 6 Intel AX210 on macOS Sonoma

Both are available.
4g is out to the other one. I've also tried different constellations, but nothing works
Hello,

See posts starting #136.
==================

So, in BIOS Setup, you have these settings :
Above 4G > Enabled
Resize Bar support > Disabled

But your boot-args line is like this :

1712447946900.png

where neither (npci=3000) nor (npci=0x3000) should be used.

The above is based on Dortania recommendation:
1712448184968.png

I do not know if this helps, but it should be corrected anyway.

Cheers :)

Hello

Above 4G > Enabled

This was deleted for a quick start:
keepsyms=1 debug=0x100

Also :npci=0x3000

But it all came to nothing

Are you using the latest Airportitlwm.kext for Sonoma 14.4+?

You need to check the order of the kexts in your config.plist, as BlueToolFixup shouldn't be placed before IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext, never mind being second in the list of kexts!

You should remove the Broadcom Kernel > Delete entries, if you are using an Intel WiFi/BT card, as they are not required. You should also undo any other changes you made when implementing the OCLP Root patches for the Broadcom WiFi.

USBInjectAll.kext and enabling the Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit option isn't meant as a long term option for your USB configuration.

Attachments

• AirportItlwm-Sonoma14.4-v2.3.0-DEBUG-alpha-68dcd1b.zip
    14.4 MB · Views: 15
Hello

Above 4G > Enabled

This was deleted for a quick start:
keepsyms=1 debug=0x100

Also :npci=0x3000

But it all came to nothing
I also move to the latest (14.4.1) Sonoma and also without any success with WiFi (BT working smooth).
Moreover, I bought PCI card with empty M2 slot, to move AX210 to another PCI slots using it. I see, how slot changed via System info(I fill DeviceProperties for that), but nothing changes: WiFi still death under MacOS (not Windows).

I also move to the latest (14.4.1) Sonoma and also without any success with WiFi (BT working smooth).
Moreover, I bought PCI card with empty M2 slot, to move AX210 to another PCI slots using it. I see, how slot changed via System info(I fill DeviceProperties for that), but nothing changes: WiFi still death under MacOS (not Windows).
The Wifi problem is solved but the computer goes back and I switch to Intel. There are simply still too many problems.

I have now bought a Lenovo ThinkCentre M70q I5 at auction for 150 euros and hope that it meets my requirements.

The Wifi problem is solved but the computer goes back and I switch to Intel. There are simply still too many problems.

I have now bought a Lenovo ThinkCentre M70q I5 at auction for 150 euros and hope that it meets my requirements.
please! how you solve it????

I'll provide you with the Efi when I'm back from vacation in a week

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-06 um 08.46.39.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-06 um 08.46.39.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 13
Hi,

I'm on macOS Sonoma 14.4. Have AXE3000RGB card
Fenvi card

I use Airportitlwm.kext:

open core kext.png

Hackintool picks up the device:

wifi 6e.png

and the pci device is:
pci device.png

If I switch to my Wifi 2 ("en2") it does not activate: The toggle does not work or allow me to switch wifi 2 on.
NOTE: wifi 1 ("en1") is working.
wifi 2.png

In IOReg it picks the card up:
ioreg.png

What I'm I doing wrong ? I'm not sure if I need to block IOSkywalk or list them under kext ?

ioSkywalk.png

Please advice because I want to be able to connect to wifi 6e devices ?

Note: Thanks @Edhawk for your help.

Preface

macOS Sonoma removed drivers for Broadcom Wi-Fi cards found in Mac models prior to 2017. One of the affected cards is the Fenvi T-919, widely used in Hacks. OCLP developers published a fix that allows these Wi-Fi to work in Sonoma, adding this feature to the root patches that OCLP can apply. In order to apply root patches, OCLP requires macOS to run with some relaxed security features: SecureBootModel disabled and SIP partially disabled. This still represents a certain loss of security in macOS, as some users have noted.
Here I propose a model of Intel Wi-Fi card that by default lacks support in macOS but can be used in Sonoma thanks to the work of the OpenIntelWireless site.

This is the Intel AX210S PCIe WiFi 6E card that can work with regular macOS security conditions without needing to relax Apple Secure Boot or SIP. It may be interesting for those who lack Wi-Fi in Sonoma or for those who want to keep the security of their system without resorting to OCLP patches.

Hardware

The card can be purchased in 2 different ways:
  • fully assembled by Ziyituod and others: WiFi 6E Intel AX210S PCIe
  • in 2 parts, card itself on the one hand (WiFi 6E Intel AX210 NGW Bluetooth Card for Laptop with M.2/NGFF Connector) and adapter on the other (PCIE X1 to M.2/NGFF A+E Key Adapter for WiFi Bluetooth Module).

Revert OCLP patch and config.plist changes​

If you have been using Fenvi or Broadcom Wi-Fi, you must revert all the settings related to config.plist and OCLP root patch.

In config.plist:
  • disable kexts (IOSkywalk.kext, IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext and AirPortBrcmNIC.kext)
  • disable ``IOSkywalk.kext` blocking
  • change csr-active-config to 00000000
  • change SecureBootModel to a value other than Disabled.
From OpenCore-Patcher (OCLP) >> Post-Install Root Patch >> Revert Root Patches.

Installing wifi module​

The 2 kexts are available on the OpenIntelWireless site. There are 2 ways to install Wi-Fi:
  • itlwm.kext: uses IOEthernetController instead of IO80211Family so the connection spoofs as Ethernet even though it works as wifi. It does not use the macOS Wi-Fi menu, instead you have to use the HeliPort application. On Ventura you need itlwm v2.2.0. On Sonoma you need itlwm v2.3.0.
  • AirportItlwm.kext: uses IO80211Family so it works like the rest of the system's Wi-Fi connections. It provides minimal Continuity features (Handoff and Universal Clipboard, not always available) but cannot connect to hidden networks. No HeliPort needed. On Ventura you need AirportItlwm v2.2.0. On Sonoma prior to 14.4 you need AirportItlwm v2.3.0 for Sonoma 14.0.
Both kexts should not be used at the same time, only one of them. I have tried both and they seem to have worked well. The card is well detected, as you can see in Hackintool.
Note: macOS 14.4 has changed parts of the Wi-Fi stack. If you update to this macOS version you must get AirportItlwm v2.3.0 for Sonoma 14.4. All kexts are avalilable in the releases page.

I am using HeliPort from diepeterpan, it is a fork of the original but has performance and interface improvements. From the HeliPort icon in the menu bar you can connect and disconnect Wi-Fi networks as well as set it to be added to the startup items.
Installing Bluetooth module

On Monterey and newer you have to install 3 extensions:
  • IntelBTPatcher.kext, requires Lilu 1.6.2 or newer >> fixes a bug in bluetoothd by correctly initializing the bluetooth module.
  • IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext >> load the firmware to the device and set the device name in USB Host Controller to Bluetooth USB Host Controller.
  • BlueToolFixup.kext (available in Acidanthera's BrcmPatchRAM package) >> on macOS Monterey IntelBluetoothInjector.kextstopped working due to changes made by Apple to the Bluetooth stack.
IntelBTPatcher.kext and IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext are inside the IntelBluetooth package available in the releases page. Latest version is 2.4.0.

Performance

The Intel wifi card has performance slightly better than the Fenvi with Broadcom. As for the 2 ways to install it, AirportItlwm.kext gives a better score.

Summary

This hardware is a valid option for those who do not have Wi-Fi in Sonoma or do not want to apply OCLP patches. It is not expensive and is easy to install. As a main drawback, the features of the Apple ecosystem are lost (all with itlwm.kext and most with AirportItlwm.kext). Airdrop does not work in any way and this is the feature that I miss the most with respect to the Fen

If you have 2 x Intel WiFi cards installed, as it appears is the case in the IOReg screenshot above. I would recommend physically removing (or disabling in the BIOS) the card you don’t want to use (en1). See if the 6e card then becomes active.

I would also recommend deleting the Networkinterfaces.plist and AirportInterfaces.plist and any backup files from the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder. Plus the two WiFi devices from System Settings > Network pane. Assuming both WiFi devices have been added to the Network Settings menu.

Back