Register

Lenovo P53 Catalina Help

Motherboard
Lenovo p53
CPU
i7-9850H
Graphics
UHD 630 / Quadro T1000
Hi its been a long time since ive been to the forum, i first installed osx on a dell mini 10 a lot of years ago followed by a lenovo x220 .
I upgraded to an x270(I didnt see any guides at the time and gave up on having osx on it) and now on a p53 id like to install osx to.

At the minute i have osx catalina downloaded, I used BDU to create the usb stick (the only working osx i have is on the x220 and would have to dig out and dust it off) and the recommended kexts from this thread - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

I have a separate ssd to install catalina on to which is the next step i think .

Has anyone been able to get osx on the p53 with success? i was reading another thread but it seems he had the xeon processor and possibly thats why it wasnt working for him

Any Help or advice would be most welcome :)

Cheers

Hi its been a long time since ive been to the forum, i first installed osx on a dell mini 10 a lot of years ago followed by a lenovo x220 .
I upgraded to an x270(I didnt see any guides at the time and gave up on having osx on it) and now on a p53 id like to install osx to.

At the minute i have osx catalina downloaded, I used BDU to create the usb stick (the only working osx i have is on the x220 and would have to dig out and dust it off) and the recommended kexts from this thread - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

I have a separate ssd to install catalina on to which is the next step i think .

Has anyone been able to get osx on the p53 with success? i was reading another thread but it seems he had the xeon processor and possibly thats why it wasnt working for him

Any Help or advice would be most welcome :)

Cheers

Hi Featech thanks for the reply :)

So after you posted that i abandoned the other guide with clover instructions (to be honest i think ive had a bit of information overload and one of my usb sticks wont show up in windows no matter how i format it or make sure its active etc but still shows up on osx) I dusted off my x220 hackintosh to use any of the programs that you need a mac for)

So after attempting to use the opencore i kind of got somewhere , I say that because of all the previous boot attempts failed where i seemed to actually have osx running on the laptop with the caveat of having no wifi(need a compatible wifi card) or audio but another thread suggested it should work,

This is where i messed up having read different guides i was sure i needed to copy the efi from the usb and copy it to the efi of the boot drive, i copied over the efi successfully and i think it rebooted ok (just after so many attempts im not sure any more) So i found the updated p52 github and copied the files and now im back to square one lol its not booting again but having gotten it to boot before i know i can just wipe the drive and start fresh.

Where im stuck is for example when im in the clover menu before i pick a boot option do i need to change anything in the clover options or is that all handled by the config.plist file?

And once i successfully get mac osx booted again do i need to copy over those files from thew usb EFI to the system/EFI after mounting it ?

Cheers

Hi Featech thanks for the reply :)

So after you posted that i abandoned the other guide with clover instructions (to be honest i think ive had a bit of information overload and one of my usb sticks wont show up in windows no matter how i format it or make sure its active etc but still shows up on osx) I dusted off my x220 hackintosh to use any of the programs that you need a mac for)

So after attempting to use the opencore i kind of got somewhere , I say that because of all the previous boot attempts failed where i seemed to actually have osx running on the laptop with the caveat of having no wifi(need a compatible wifi card) or audio but another thread suggested it should work,

This is where i messed up having read different guides i was sure i needed to copy the efi from the usb and copy it to the efi of the boot drive, i copied over the efi successfully and i think it rebooted ok (just after so many attempts im not sure any more) So i found the updated p52 github and copied the files and now im back to square one lol its not booting again but having gotten it to boot before i know i can just wipe the drive and start fresh.

Where im stuck is for example when im in the clover menu before i pick a boot option do i need to change anything in the clover options or is that all handled by the config.plist file?

And once i successfully get mac osx booted again do i need to copy over those files from thew usb EFI to the system/EFI after mounting it ?

Cheers
basically it is just a case of copying over a working EFI folder to the EFI partition on the hard drive

the EFI partition on the hard drive needs to be mounted with EFI mounter or hackintool software

the clover boot menu reads the config.plist and related files, so not sure what you are asking about that

basically it is just a case of copying over a working EFI folder to the EFI partition on the hard drive

the EFI partition on the hard drive needs to be mounted with EFI mounter or hackintool software

the clover boot menu reads the config.plist and related files, so not sure what you are asking about that

I managed to copy over the efi to the hard drive before i messed everything up its just i hadnt seen it mentioned in the guides i was looking at but vaguely remembered it(im not saying it wasnt in any of the guides just it might have been lost in my head somewhere:) )

The thing i was asking about the clover options menu where you can toggle different things on and off, So for example one i seen was usomething like usb injection usb ownership(this is from memory and currently attempting another boot so not 100% of what the names were)

I was wondering if i needed to change anything in there or if the edits i have made in propertree are all thats needed

I managed to copy over the efi to the hard drive before i messed everything up its just i hadnt seen it mentioned in the guides i was looking at but vaguely remembered it(im not saying it wasnt in any of the guides just it might have been lost in my head somewhere:) )

The thing i was asking about the clover options menu where you can toggle different things on and off, So for example one i seen was usomething like usb injection usb ownership(this is from memory and currently attempting another boot so not 100% of what the names were)

I was wondering if i needed to change anything in there or if the edits i have made in propertree are all thats needed
yes, you can change the options in there to get it to boot

and then you can edit the config.plist after booting to make those changes stick

Back