Contribute
Register

M.2 SSD Not Recognized In Monterey Installer

This is resolved. If I had only waited 1 more day. Ha ha ha. I used

1) your suggestions above
2) https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...k-on-opencore-booter-looking-for-help.324558/
3) https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...elite-with-rx-6600-and-opencore-0-8-6.322865/

None of these worked completely because I simply had the wrong BIOS settings. When I corrected the BIOS settings, I activated SSDT-PMC.aml from #3 above. This provides NVRAM support for BIOS'es that do not support NVRAM. I noticed that once I removed the USB drive that installed or attempted to install Ventura, OpenCore remained an option in my EFI choices. This was odd to me in that OpenCore was only on the EFI of the USB installation drive. I expected that choice to disappear once I removed the USB drive and I never expect it to be written to the EFI choices. Once I realized this, I removed SSDT-PMC. My PC went to sleep around 12 AM EST. I was able to awake my PC for the first time in Ventura just now.

I will recheck my BIOS settings but it seems that everything now works flawlessly. My sole disappointment is that I purchased 2 Crucial P3 Plus 4TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2 SSD's (CT4000P3PSSD8). These drives are wicked fast. I have not found any way to install macOS to them. It appears that only a small subset of M.2 drives are compatible with macOS. This Crucial drive is not part of that subset. It works flawlessly with my other OS'es. The 2 drives show up in Disk Utility as "CT4000P3PSSD8 Media" drives.

You are a superstar. Thanks so much for your help. I had to learn a lot recently seeing as though it was trivially easy to install Sierra. Monterey and Ventura definitely not so much. Thanks again!

You are very welcome, but the superstars here on tonymac are the moderators. I'm just a user.

You probably want to boot MacOS from the Crucial SSD(s), but of course they have to be formatted as GUID Partition Map if so. (If just used as data storage, they could be EXFAT which is readable by both MacOS and Windows.) FWIW, I use a WesternDigital WDSN850X 1 TB and a Samsung 970Pro 1 TB NVMe SSD as boot disks. The WD is faster than the Samsung on boot, due to that "TRIM" problem with the Samsung controller. But they both work.

I'm in process of building my (probably last) computer, but it has to run Windows 11, not MacOS. The graphics card is an AMD RX 6400, which is Navi 24 not supported by the MacOS. It will use Crucial CL40 DDR5 RAM (4800 MHz) but a WDSN850X 1 TB SSD.

What driver/kext are you using to get your M.2 drives to show up during installation? My SSDs are visible but not the M.2's. I devote 2 TB to each OS. There are 2 TB of uninitialized space for macOS. The M.2 drives never are visible in Disk Utility during installation.

Last edited:
What driver/text are you using to get your M.2 drives to show up during installation? My SSDs are visible but not the M.2's. I devote 2 TB to each OS. There are 2 TB of uninitialized space for macOS. The M.2 drives never are visible in Disk Utility during installation.
Hello,
Some times slots are shared. As such, some combinations are "un-expected".
Check carefully your setup !

Cheers :)

==================
Have a look here :

*1 The PCIe x4_3 slot shares bandwidth with PCIex1_3. The PCIe x4_3 is default set at x2 mode.
*2 When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA mode, SATA port 1 will be disabled.
*3 When the M.2_2 Socket 3 is operating in PCIEX4 mode, SATA port 5. 6 will be disabled.
*4 This function will work depending on the CPU installed.
*5 Intel® Optane Technology only supported when using 7th Generation Intel® Processors. Before using Intel® Optane memory modules, ensure that you have updated your motherboard drivers and BIOS to the latest version from ASUS support website.
*6 Due to limitations in HDA bandwidth, 32-bit/192kHz is not supported for 8-Channel audio and due to Windows 7 limitations, 32-bit playback is unavailable for Windows 7.
*7 2 x USB2.0 port at mid-board comes from the ROG extension (ROG_EXT) port.
*8 Windows® 8.1 64-bit and Windows® 7 32/64-bit are only supported when using 6th Generation Intel® Processors
*9 ROG GameFirst technology is only available for Windows 10/8.1 64-bit

I am now running Ventura exclusively. The only issue I have is MacOS will not wake up from a sleep. Completely black screen. Everything else works. Screensaver comes on just fine. The computer sleeps at the 1 hour idle mark. That's the end. I have to do a hard reboot. Monterey did not have this problem. Neither do my other OS's.

Thanks, @Cosmix , I had read the user guides of the BIOS and the motherboard a number of times. Both M.2_1 and M.2_2 are set to x4. This disables PCIex1_3 and SATA 5 & 6. No issues. The problem was the RX 6600 was not securely seated in the PCI slot. This caused the random reboots and instability in all OS's not just MacOS.

I have come a long way since upgrading from Sierra. I have learned a lot. I will resolve the waking issue then tackle installing MacOS on a Crucial 4 TB NVMe drive. Thanks again, guys, you have been immensely helpful.

Last edited:
Back