Contribute
Register

Minimal Cutting Mac Pro Mod

Yes, the motherboard is quite tightly secured to the case.

I first took out the original standoffs (just snapped them, quite easily). Then attached to the motherboard so I get the positions correct. Finally I glued the standoffs to the case with the motherboard PCIe slot aligned correctly. For correct placement, you can attached the graphic card as well.

The glue I used wasn't that good, a few of the standoffs were not glued properly but overall the motherboard was quite tightly attached.
That’s exactly what I did with my G5 case mod. I haven’t found a glue strong enough to hold them in place though, they always seem to come unstuck. I rely on the 6700XT and PSU to hold everything in place!.

That’s exactly what I did with my G5 case mod. I haven’t found a glue strong enough to hold them in place though, they always seem to come unstuck. I rely on the 6700XT and PSU to hold everything in place!.
I think an epoxy based one (those where I need to mix two types together) would do better. But no need to try anyway.

I also have a USB PCIE card which pins the motherboard to the case so even without the GPU it is still tight. I also notice that for my particular Huananzhi motherboard, some components (I think the CPU power fans) helped to support the motherboard at the bottom.

I think an epoxy based one (those where I need to mix two types together) would do better. But no need to try anyway.
I’m not sure an epoxy is the way to go, that’s what I started with and after setting they’d come would un-stuck after about a month. I think the trick is to scratch the surface area where the epoxy joins the case, but I wasn’t prepared to do that. I mean c’mon, scratch my G5, I don’t think so.

Back