CPU
i5-750/P55
Graphics
HD 7870
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
On my hack, I'm currently running Sierra, as in High Sierra and later, I just get no signal after verbose unless I use Mini DisplayPort, to use HDMI or DVI I have to run Sierra, which is an issue for me, as I no longer have access to a mini displayport monitor and my monitor hooks up via DVI, and since Firefox has recently ended support for Sierra, I want to get Big Sur or Catalina working. What could I do to get it working? I've attached my config.plist.

Attachments

• config.plist
    32.1 KB · Views: 9

I've already seen this, that guide is for Clover, I'm using OpenCore, and it tells you to put things under the Graphics and KextstoPatch section, neither of which exist in OpenCore.

I'm using OpenCore, and it tells you to put things under the Graphics and KextstoPatch section, neither of which exist in OpenCore

Framebuffers are in Device properties in Opencore.

Framebuffers are in Device properties in Opencore.
How would I put it under DeviceProperties though? How would I select the framebuffer in OpenCore (I also dont know which framebuffer I should select -- i have 5 physical connectors but 6 show up under the bios decoders), and would I still do the find/replace thing for patching the framebuffer or would I do that differently in OpenCore?

A long shot but before trying anything else, add -raddvi to your boot arguments and see if it makes any difference.

A long shot but before trying anything else, add -raddvi to your boot arguments and see if it makes any difference.
I forgot to mention in my original post, I did try all of the AMD bootargs, the only one that had any change was -radvesa, which stops the screen from going off, but does cause it to stay in verbose mode and not load the GUI (likely VESA is limiting it to the point where it can't load the GUI)

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 04.32.55.png

The obvious solution is to use one of these cables but I bet you forgot to mention that you already tried that too.

I haven't, because that wouldn't work. My GPU takes Mini DisplayPort, not standard DisplayPort, and my monitor isn't actually DVI, it's VGA with an adapter (ik VGA isn't the cause of the issue, i tested with an old HDMI TV i had, same issue there.)

You keep telling only part of the story.

VGA is unsupported, Apple don't use it.
That said, some configurations do work but most don't.

Back