Contribute
Register

Sequence of Mac OS X Progression from Yosemite

Motherboard
Motherboard OR System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7 > Need full CPU model name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Howdy!

I have put off updating the Max OSx Yosemite and would like help understanding the most sensible approach on the installation of newer OS systems. Should I create the USB boot drive with El Capitan, install it on the SSD drive, then make a new USB Boot Drive every time with the next MacOS X that follows, ei Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and then finally land on Sonoma? Or can I skip a all or few of the Mac OS X updates and go from Yosemite to Ventura for instance.

Thanks

Howdy!

I have put off updating the Max OSx Yosemite and would like help understanding the most sensible approach on the installation of newer OS systems. Should I create the USB boot drive with El Capitan, install it on the SSD drive, then make a new USB Boot Drive every time with the next MacOS X that follows, ei Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and then finally land on Sonoma? Or can I skip a all or few of the Mac OS X updates and go from Yosemite to Ventura for instance.

Thanks
Hello,
First, check if your hardware can run Ventura/Sonoma.
Before any "transitioning" make some tests ( for Ventura/Sonoma/apps etc) on a spare storage.
So, you can keep safe your original storage and "detect" any inconsistencies with the new environment

Keep studying.

Cheers :)

Make a new USB Boot Drive every time with the next MacOS X that follows, ei Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and then finally land on Sonoma? Or can I skip a all or few of the Mac OS X updates and go from Yosemite to Ventura for instance.
This is why filling out the hardware profile completely and accurately is part of the site rules.
It's the only way others can effectively help out people with questions like this. It's impossible
to give advice or help without knowing the end users hardware specs.

Back