Contribute
Register

[solved] Acer E5-471P - Sierra fully working (incl. ALC283 audio and ath9565 wifi/bt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Acer E5-471P
CPU
Core i3 4030u (haswell)
Graphics
intel hd 4400
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all

I have succesfully got pretty much everything to work on an Acer E5-471P, which has the following config:
CPU: Intel i3 4030U (Haswell)
GPU: Intel HD4400
LAN: Realtek 8168
WLAN/BT: Atheros 956x
Audio: ALC283
display: 14" 1366x768

Over a couple of days I have resolved most issues, so currently I have everything working, including the dreaded Atheros 9565 wifi and bluetooth!

The last thing remaining is ALC283, which I can't seem to get to work no matter what I do.

Anyway, if anyone has the same or similar laptop, this is a little guide to get where I am now:
First of all, it is useful to have a USB keyboard and mouse, as until you get VoodooPS2 in, the laptops keyboard and touchpad do not work at all. With that in mind, what I did:

1. Install Sierra from Unibeast with no extra customizations - using EFI mode
  2. Upon first run install Clover to the HDD/SSD where it is installed
  3. Install VoodooPS2Controller.kext (v1.8.24) to gain keyboard and touchpad
  4. RealtekRTL8111.kext installed to enable LAN network
  5. Installed kexts for Intel HD4400 + clover config designed for HD4200/4400/4600
    1. kexts used: FakePCIID.kext, FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext, FakeSMC.kext
    1. At this point you have full acceleration available, although the backlight sets itself to a very low level during boot
  6. Read&edited EDID of my laptop display, and injected through Clover Configurator --> to fix issue with Display Pane being unavailable
  7. Install ACPIBatteryManager.kext to get battery status on the laptop
  8. Patched DSDT and SSDT-5 fixes + set DropOEM to True in clover config
    • Fixes used on DSDT.aml:
    • Fix _WAK Arg0 v2; HPET Fix; SMBUS Fix; IRQ Fix; RTC Fix; OS Check Fix; Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel; Fix PNOT/PPNT; Add IMEI; 7-series/8-series USB; Haswell LPC; Rename GFX0 to IGPU; Rename B0D3 to HDAU; [bat] Acer Aspire E1-571
    • Fixes used on SSDT-5.aml
    • Rename GFX0 to IGPU; Brightness fix (Haswell); Rename B0D3 to HDAU
    • After this I gained ability to control display backlight
  9. Followed a guide to install Atheros 9565 kext for Sierra (remove IO80211 family kexts from S/L/E, then inject changed ones in clover).
    • the kexts and the guide I found on google on a youtube video:
    • At this point unfortunately the wifi was still not working, Sierra didn't see any wlan/bt devices. I have pretty much given up, but read on - it started working later after Multibeast
  10. Giving up on the wifi, I tried the simplest way to install audio, and used Multibeast to install support of AppleHDA for ALC283
    • audio didn't appear after reboot, however for unbeknown reason, the wifi actually did appear.. after a while I noticed that BT also works, although it does not show up everytime. What usually works is to boot into Windows (i have set the system for dual boot) then boot back to MacOs and BT seems to be available and work.

That's pretty much the whole story how to get it working up to the point where only Audio is missing.

So far I have tried all kinds of guides for ALC283, installed codeccommander, new alc283 kexts, further DSDT patches (Audio Layout 12, 3, manually also changed to 86 as one guide suggested).

Sadly, nothing seems to work.

If anyone can give me any advice on how to get audio working, you will make me a very happy hackintosh user :)

Last edited:
Hi all

I have succesfully got pretty much everything to work on an Acer E5-471P, which has the following config:
CPU: Intel i3 4030U
GPU: Intel HD4400
LAN: Realtek 8168
WLAN/BT: Atheros 956x
Audio: ALC283
display: 14" 1366x768

Over a couple of days I have resolved most issues, so currently I have everything working, including the dreaded Atheros 9565 wifi and bluetooth!

The last thing remaining is ALC283, which I can't seem to get to work no matter what I do.

Anyway, if anyone has the same or similar laptop, this is a little guide to get where I am now:
First of all, it is useful to have a USB keyboard and mouse, as until you get VoodooPS2 in, the laptops keyboard and touchpad do not work at all. With that in mind, what I did:

1. Install Sierra from Unibeast with no extra customizations - using EFI mode
  2. Upon first run install Clover to the HDD/SSD where it is installed
  3. Install VoodooPS2Controller.kext (v1.8.24) to gain keyboard and touchpad
  4. RealtekRTL8111.kext installed to enable LAN network
  5. Installed kexts for Intel HD4400 + clover config designed for HD4200/4400/4600
    1. kexts used: FakePCIID.kext, FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext, FakeSMC.kext
    1. At this point you have full acceleration available, although the backlight sets itself to a very low level during boot
  6. Read&edited EDID of my laptop display, and injected through Clover Configurator --> to fix issue with Display Pane being unavailable
  7. Install ACPIBatteryManager.kext to get battery status on the laptop
  8. Patched DSDT and SSDT-5 fixes + set DropOEM to True in clover config
    • Fixes used on DSDT.aml:
    • Fix _WAK Arg0 v2; HPET Fix; SMBUS Fix; IRQ Fix; RTC Fix; OS Check Fix; Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel; Fix PNOT/PPNT; Add IMEI; 7-series/8-series USB; Haswell LPC; Rename GFX0 to IGPU; Rename B0D3 to HDAU; [bat] Acer Aspire E1-571
    • Fixes used on SSDT-5.aml
    • Rename GFX0 to IGPU; Brightness fix (Haswell); Rename B0D3 to HDAU
    • After this I gained ability to control display backlight
  9. Followed a guide to install Atheros 9565 kext for Sierra (remove IO80211 family kexts from S/L/E, then inject changed ones in clover).
    • the kexts and the guide I found on google on a youtube video:
    • At this point unfortunately the wifi was still not working, Sierra didn't see any wlan/bt devices. I have pretty much given up, but read on - it started working later after Multibeast
  10. Giving up on the wifi, I tried the simplest way to install audio, and used Multibeast to install support of AppleHDA for ALC283
    • audio didn't appear after reboot, however for unbeknown reason, the wifi actually did appear.. after a while I noticed that BT also works, although it does not show up everytime. What usually works is to boot into Windows (i have set the system for dual boot) then boot back to MacOs and BT seems to be available and work.

That's pretty much the whole story how to get it working up to the point where only Audio is missing.

So far I have tried all kinds of guides for ALC283, installed codeccommander, new alc283 kexts, further DSDT patches (Audio Layout 12, 3, manually also changed to 86 as one guide suggested).

Sadly, nothing seems to work.

If anyone can give me any advice on how to get audio working, you will make me a very happy hackintosh user :)
I'm attaching my clover folder from EFI partition, and an saved datafile from IOJones, if it helps anyone.

ALC283 is the same as my Lenovo u430. You can use AppleHDA_ALC283.kext in my u430 repo...

https://github.com/RehabMan/Lenovo-U430-Touch-DSDT-Patch

Requirements:
- Clover bootloader
- config.plist must have the four AppleHDA patches from my config.plist in the repo
- AppleHDA.kext must be vanilla
- CodecCommander.kext installed to /S/L/E: https://github.com/RehabMan/EAPD-Codec-Commander
- AppleHDA_ALC283.kext installed to /S/L/E
- rebuild cache following the procedure detailed in the u430 guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...ideapad-u330-u430-u530-using-clover-uefi.html
- DSDT patches "IRQ Fix" and "Audio Layout 3".

ALC283 is the same as my Lenovo u430. You can use AppleHDA_ALC283.kext in my u430 repo...

https://github.com/RehabMan/Lenovo-U430-Touch-DSDT-Patch

Requirements:
- Clover bootloader
- config.plist must have the four AppleHDA patches from my config.plist in the repo
- AppleHDA.kext must be vanilla
- CodecCommander.kext installed to /S/L/E: https://github.com/RehabMan/EAPD-Codec-Commander
- AppleHDA_ALC283.kext installed to /S/L/E
- rebuild cache following the procedure detailed in the u430 guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...ideapad-u330-u430-u530-using-clover-uefi.html
- DSDT patches "IRQ Fix" and "Audio Layout 3".

Thanks RehabMan - that's one of the things I have tried multiple time, specifically that guide that you mentioned... Maybe it's because it's a yosemite guide, or something is different here, but it doesn't seem to work for me :(
I did all the AppleHDA, codeccommander and AppleHDA_ALC283, installed through KEXT Utility, so the cache is always rebuilt..
IRQ fix and Audio Layout 3 I have also applied to DSDT... but doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks RehabMan - that's one of the things I have tried multiple time, specifically that guide that you mentioned... Maybe it's because it's a yosemite guide, or something is different here, but it doesn't seem to work for me :(
I did all the AppleHDA, codeccommander and AppleHDA_ALC283, installed through KEXT Utility, so the cache is always rebuilt..
IRQ fix and Audio Layout 3 I have also applied to DSDT... but doesn't seem to make any difference.

Let's check your work...

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Provide output (in Terminal):
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y applelpc
kextstat|grep -y applehda

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Attach output of (in Terminal):
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Compress all files as ZIP. Do not use external links. Attach all files using site attachments only.

Alright,
just to be sure I did the whole guide for your lenovo again to make sure i didn't miss anything.
Turns out I was actually missing the 4 ALC283 patches to clover config -- but still, even now that they are in, no difference, audio device is nowhere to be seen :(

So here is the attached zip with clover folder, ioreg export, and the two terminal commands..

FYI from the first batch of kextstats the only one which doesn't say anything is kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
the others seem fine..

Attachments

• e5_clover_ioreg_kextstats.zip
    13.8 MB · Views: 311
Alright,
just to be sure I did the whole guide for your lenovo again to make sure i didn't miss anything.
Turns out I was actually missing the 4 ALC283 patches to clover config -- but still, even now that they are in, no difference, audio device is nowhere to be seen :(

So here is the attached zip with clover folder, ioreg export, and the two terminal commands..

FYI from the first batch of kextstats the only one which doesn't say anything is kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
the others seem fine..

You should not use the .zml patch. That is for a different AppleHDA technique (and breaks AppleHDA_ALC283.kext).

You should not use the .zml patch. That is for a different AppleHDA technique (and breaks AppleHDA_ALC283.kext).
OK, removed ZML patch from the config, rebooted.
Still no audio devices (input or output) though, must be something else there as well.

OK, removed ZML patch from the config, rebooted.
Still no audio devices (input or output) though, must be something else there as well.

Did you rebuild cache as mentioned? It is not optional.
Also, why is realtekALC.kext installed? It is not mentioned in post #2.

Did you rebuild cache as mentioned? It is not optional.
Also, why is realtekALC.kext installed? It is not mentioned in post #2.
Realtek might be result of my previous tries including multibeast... i'll delete it and rebuild again.

as for the cache rebuild - I did boot "without caches" and did a rebuild using the
command... is that the right way to do it?

Realtek might be result of my previous tries including multibeast... i'll delete it and rebuild again.

You must insure your situation regarding AppleHDA meets all the requirements in post #2, and that you didn't do anything "additional".

Note also that your kextcache output shows AppleHDA_ALC283.kext is not installed.

as for the cache rebuild - I did boot "without caches" and did a rebuild using the
command... is that the right way to do it?

That is correct, but not expected to work if you have incorrect kexts installed.

On 10.11+ you can also use the shortcut:
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back