Contribute
Register

[Solved] NVIDIA Web Driver iBooks Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, guess what I just did? The security thing bugged me after all (no pun intended).

A kernel extension with equal effect but no security impact is available at:

https://github.com/mologie/NVWebDriverLibValFix/releases

I strongly recommend every user of the old kernel extension to switch over to the new one. I'll keep the old project online and unmodified, because disabling library validation system-wide is useful for other purposes (though you don't want to have it disabled on your desktop system. Really.)

The original download page now points to the new project, too.

Pinging @UtterDisbelief, @boywithaxe and @D-vise, because we specifically discussed this issue in the last few posts.

Thanks a lot bro, much appreciated! I already converted to Calibre but I guess iBooks is back in the game thx to you.

I just wanted to report that everything is still working with High Sierra and the latest Nvidia web drivers.

Thanks again, mlg!!!

I got same problem with instruments and found solution here - https://stackoverflow.com/a/43569895/2064576

applied same method for xcode
Code:
sudo codesign -f -s - /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/MacOS/Xcode
and it worked as well. just took a little time. no reboots, no additional kexts.

I have a GTX 670 and have been using the default OSX drivers with Sierra since this bug first appeared. However, I just upgraded to High Sierra with the supplemental update, and I'm using the latest Nvidia web drivers (378.10.10.10.15.120), and iBooks appears to be working just fine without any additional fixes.

macOS High Sierra, version 10.13.1 (17B48) with clean install:
iBook, Xcode (Debug View Hierarchy and Debug Memory Graph) working properly without any hacks!
Also Mouse Cursor issue on Dell 5K is no longer present.

Thank you, @mlg! This is a brilliant, focused solution.

Hi mlg,
With the latest release of Lilu/NvidiaGraphicsFixup (1.2.0), should we disable your NVWebDriverLibValFix kext?
Thanks

Hi @mlg , i have same question i've got
  • macOS 10.12.6 Sierra and NVIDIA Web Driver 378.05.05.25f01
with Clover installed and also i have NvidiaGraphicsFixup. So while you are saying it's incompatible...
What are the steps for not damaging my installation?

Thanks in advance

Hi @mlg , i have same question i've got
  • macOS 10.12.6 Sierra and NVIDIA Web Driver 378.05.05.25f01
with Clover installed and also i have NvidiaGraphicsFixup. So while you are saying it's incompatible...
What are the steps for not damaging my installation?

Thanks in advance

Delete my extension before you install the latest release of NvidiaGraphicsFixup. Having both installed at the same time will at best have no effect and at worst cause a kernel panic on boot. No steps other than deleting my extension are required, because all modifications are made in RAM when the system boots and disappear when rebooting.

Hi everyone. I wrote a kernel extension, which resolves the problem for those of us without the option to enable an internal GPU. It permits iBooks, Little Snitch and other software to do their rendering with the NVIDIA Web Driver.

EDIT 2: Use this new, secure version instead: https://github.com/mologie/NVWebDriverLibValFix/releases

Hello! First of all thank you @mlg for the clean solution. I've got a noob question, something is wrong with the command string: first line works okay, It downloaded the kext tar.gz just fine. On the second code line (sudo tar -xv -C /Library/Extensions -f ~/Downloads/NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext.1.0.0.tar.gz) the terminal says:
tar: Unrecognized archive format
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back