Contribute
Register

Stuck on apple logo after disconnecting/reconnecting hardware components (macOS Sierra 10.12)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I took my machine apart this weekend to give it a detailed clean (alcohol and cotton swabs on the fans, blowing out dust). My intention was to verify all of my components, with the intention of planning an upgrade to a newer graphics card, so I could install a more modern macOS.

Everything was carefully disassembled and reassembled. After everything was put back together, I powered on, and got the normal boot process (Gigabyte logo, Clover screen) up until the Apple Logo, where it hangs indefinitely with the loading bar at zero.

I wonder if taking apart the computer may have reset some settings, like maybe some hardware ids have changed? I was careful to document all of the cable connection positions and replicated them precisely when re-assembling everything.

I am not sure where to start troubleshooting.

On hand I have...
-time machine backup of the computer in last working state
-a few folders under `/EFI Backups` on the Sierra drive (i think these were created on the boot disk automatically, i don't think these were manual backups I created however it has been so long I can't remember.)
-a screenshot from the last multibeast configuration I made in 2017.
-an untitled .mb file which looks to be a multibeast config file? Honestly I can't recall.

I will appreciate any suggestions you can offer! Thank you

Replace the CMOS battery ? If so that would revert BIOS settings to defaults.

with the intention of planning an upgrade to a newer graphics card, so I could install a more modern macOS.
Did you replace the Nvidia card with an AMD ? Try entering -v at the Clover boot screen menu. Then see where it is hanging up. Take a picture.

« trs96 said:
« Did you replace the Nvidia card with an AMD ?

All of the components remained the same - nothing was changed from the original configuration (same as in my signature.)

Last edited:
Replace the CMOS battery ? If so that would revert BIOS settings to defaults.
I did not replace the CMOS battery, but it is 7 years old so I thought maybe it has very little charge left. I did wonder if the BIOS settings may have been reset to default.

I was able to access the Gigabyte BIOS menu screen, but I don't know off the top of my head what my configured BIOS settings were... is there an easy way to tell if the BIOS reverted to defaults?

Does it still keep accurate time or not ?
It is showing the correct date (03/30/2024) but the hour is off by 3 hours and 9 minutes.

It is showing the correct date (03/30/2024) but the hour is off by 3 hours and 9 minutes.
I would get a new one since it is so old. Then search for some Z170X guides with the BIOS settings and set yours accordingly. Try and boot again.

Awesome, thank you @trs96 I will locate some Z170X guides and confirm the BIOS settings.

For what it is worth - I also booted up in verbose mode and this was what I saw - I don't know if this provides any insight or not, but here it is:

Attachments

• 20240330_163649.jpg
    20240330_163649.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 7
When running macOS, the BIOS clock (RTC) keeps UTC time, not the local one.
Is this your case ?

Back