Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Celeri's "Silent Mini Beast" — Z690M-ITX/ax + i5-12600 + RX 6600

Thanks for the heads-up @CaseySJ, do you know if there are some replacement M.2 modules on the market that work under Sonoma with all the "Apple features"?
At this time there are none! But we have been attempting something here (still a work in progress):

@Celeri

MOBO: ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax
CPU: Intel 15-12600k
GPU: ASRock Radeon 6600
RAM: G Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB)
NVme: 2 x WD 2TB

I have been following your guide based on my "best" programming instinct and brain.
I have created Mac install USB using Appstore download (Monterey) and command line (sudo xx). Then I have downloaded 0.8.3 original EFI from the guide, GenBIOS, then ProperTree to add Intelwifi and BT kext (as I intend to use onboard card).

I have followed to set the BIOS setting as well (I couldn't find config lock that Celeri mentioned--but I did find CFG lock under CPU management and I assume this is same.)

I can boot into the driver. However I cannot install as after I select "Install macOS Monterey"--Apple logo shows up and it stops there.

I am fairly noob with OC and programing in general... I had built my older one with clover back when Skylake had came out (yes, I know it is old.)--it lasted me up until this year and it canned itself.

I know clover had -v argument put in to see the debug but I am not sure what to do with OC.

I am not sure what I have done wrong here.

I have attached EFI I had been using. Thank you for any help in advance.

PS I did not include APPLE folder in my EFI folder-based on Dortania's guide, it seemed unnecessary....maybe I am wrong.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    33.1 MB · Views: 23
The first question that comes to my mind is: which version of Monterey are you trying to boot? The Radeon 6600 is supported only in Monterey 12.1, so if you happen to have used a 12.0 installer, then it may be the reason.

Last edited:
As a quick follow-up, I can report that this build still holds on pretty well with the recently released Sonoma 14.2, still with OpenCore 0.9.3.

Just like 14.0, everything works — except WiFi, of course, since the drivers for the BCM94360NG module have been removed in Sonoma. Thus, you can safely update to 14.2, except if you rely on WiFi for any kind of need: internet, LAN, and specific Apple features like Airdrop, Unlock with Apple Watch, Handoff, etc.

Last edited:
@Celeri

MOBO: ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax
CPU: Intel 15-12600k
GPU: ASRock Radeon 6600
RAM: G Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB)
NVme: 2 x WD 2TB

I have been following your guide based on my "best" programming instinct and brain.
I have created Mac install USB using Appstore download (Monterey) and command line (sudo xx). Then I have downloaded 0.8.3 original EFI from the guide, GenBIOS, then ProperTree to add Intelwifi and BT kext (as I intend to use onboard card).

I have followed to set the BIOS setting as well (I couldn't find config lock that Celeri mentioned--but I did find CFG lock under CPU management and I assume this is same.)

I can boot into the driver. However I cannot install as after I select "Install macOS Monterey"--Apple logo shows up and it stops there.

I am fairly noob with OC and programing in general... I had built my older one with clover back when Skylake had came out (yes, I know it is old.)--it lasted me up until this year and it canned itself.

I know clover had -v argument put in to see the debug but I am not sure what to do with OC.

I am not sure what I have done wrong here.

I have attached EFI I had been using. Thank you for any help in advance.

PS I did not include APPLE folder in my EFI folder-based on Dortania's guide, it seemed unnecessary....maybe I am wrong.
I have the exact same problem. Stuck on Apple logo at booting. Loading bar does not progress. Followed every BIOS config. Did you find out some solution?

Mobo: ASRock Z690M-ITX ax
CPU: i5 12600k
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16x2GB
Nvme: WD Blue 570 2TB

You should activate verbose mode to check at which step the booting process gets stuck: it often helps knowing what is wrong with a config!

You should activate verbose mode to check at which step the booting process gets stuck: it often helps knowing what is wrong with a config!
I don't know how to do that. I'm trying to read something about it, but cannot find it. Could use some help, seems the easiest thing to do but this is my first build and I am fairly noob! Thank you!

EDIT: I found the way. Indeed easy. This is what it shows. I'm willing to understand, but right now I'm lost. Would appriciate the help.

Attachments

• 20240129_104112.jpg
    20240129_104112.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I don't know how to do that. I'm trying to read something about it, but cannot find it. Could use some help, seems the easiest thing to do but this is my first build and I am fairly noob! Thank you!

Have you created your own EFI folder or are you just using someone else's unmodified one?

Have you created your own EFI folder or are you just using someone else's unmodified one?
I am using Celeri's with my own generated SMBIOS. Same motherboard, gpu, also Alder Lake, same RAM, SSD and Wi-Fi/BT adapter. I figured there wasn't a lot to change for a first boot try.

I have the exact same problem. Stuck on Apple logo at booting. Loading bar does not progress. Followed every BIOS config. Did you find out some solution?

Mobo: ASRock Z690M-ITX ax
CPU: i5 12600k
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16x2GB
Nvme: WD Blue 570 2TB
I could boot thanks to specific SSDT to i5 12600k and disabling E-cores, as advised here:
** Quirks and Features **
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.
(w/apologies to Doug DeMuro)​

Enable Aquantia AQC107 10GbE Ethernet
Apply the following patch to enable Aquantia AQC107 10GbE Ethernet driver:
  • Identifier: com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
  • Comment: AQC 107 10 GbE v2
  • Find: 0F84C002 0000
  • Replace: 660F1F44 0000
  • Count: 1
  • Limit: 0
  • Skip: 0
  • Enabled: True
For Monterey 12.3 we need the following patch (included in the EFI folder for OpenCore 0.7.8):
  • Identifier: com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
  • Comment: AQC 107 10 GbE v3
  • Find: 0F844503 0000
  • Replace: 660F1F44 0000
  • Count: 1
  • Limit: 0
  • Skip: 0
  • Enabled: True

Enable Aquantia AQC113 10GbE Ethernet
This is a newer version of the 10GbE Ethernet controller. To enable this controller in macOS, perform these steps:
  1. First apply the Kernel patch described in the AQC107 section above. That patch is necessary.
  2. Then add the attached SSDT (SSDT-AQUANTIA-AQC113C.aml) to OpenCore by:
    • Copying file to EFI/OC/ACPI folder
    • Adding an entry in config.plist --> ACPI section
Note that the SSDT assumes AQC113 is on RP01. If it's on a different PCI root port, please let us know or modify the SSDT appropriately. Use IORegistryExplorer to determine the root port of the Aquantia 10GbE device.

A cold boot is necessary to activate AQC113. Cold boot means: Shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds, then power the system back up.

Credit: @Elias64Fr

15 Jan 2022: This section has been deprecated (i.e. do not use): CPU Core Settings for Multi-Boot Systems
As stated in the build guide (post 1) there are two CPU core configurations that work with macOS. The configurations depend on whether Hyper Threading is enabled or disabled:
  1. Hyper Threading Enabled:
    • P-cores may be enabled
    • E-cores must be disabled
  2. Hyper Threading Disabled:
    • P-cores may be enabled
    • E-cores may be enabled
However, Windows 10 and Windows 11 support the asymmetric BIG.little architecture of Alder Lake. Unlike macOS, these operating systems will work when P-cores, E-cores, and Hyper Threading are all enabled. As for Linux, depending on the kernel version, all P-cores, E-cores, and Hyper Threads may also be workable.

On a multi-boot system, therefore, the ideal configuration is to enable all P-cores, E-cores, and Hyper Threads for the benefit of operating systems that can take advantage of that topology. But for macOS, we can apply a SSDT that will filter out E-cores and allow macOS to run on P-cores and Hyper Threads.

Benchmarks performed in macOS indicate that option 1 above yields better results than option 2. Hence, using an SSDT that filters in all P-cores and Hyper Threads, but filters out E-cores, provides a good overall solution. To set this up, there is an SSDT specific to i5-12600K, and another that is specific to both i7-12700K and i9-12900K.

Credit: @StefanAM and @sjoseph
BIOS Settings:
  • Hyper Threading → Enabled
  • P-cores → Enabled (all)
  • E-cores → Enabled (all)
For i5-12600K systems:
  • Check OFF:
    • SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml
    • SSDT-PLUG-ALT-16.aml
  • Check ON:
    • SSDT-PLUG-ALT-12.aml
For i7-12700K and i9-12900K systems:
  • Check OFF:
    • SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml
    • SSDT-PLUG-ALT-12.aml
  • Check ON:
    • SSDT-PLUG-ALT-16.aml
These SSDTs are included in the OpenCore EFI for Gigabyte Z690 Aero G, but are also attached here for other board owners.

The OpenCore kernel quirk ProvideCurrentCpuInfo must be enabled in order to use these SSDTs. This quirk is already enabled in the OpenCore EFI folder for Gigabyte Z690 Aero G posted in this thread.
View attachment 535315
Below we can see that Windows 11 is using all 16 threads on i5-12600K because P-cores, E-cores, and Hyper Threads are enabled in BIOS. On the left side pane we can see that both Intel UHD 770 and AMD RX 6800 XT are enabled and available.

View attachment 535373

Updates:
  • 22 Nov 2021: First version of Quirks and Features.
Now installing Monterrey.

Back