2. iOS
Pulpinex's New Hackintosh
MSI Z790-P WIFI, 32GB DDR5, i9-13900K, AMD Radeon Vega64 RX 6900 6800 XT

NOTE: I apoligize for my imperfect english, but I'm Italian

Screenshot 2023-11-03 alle 18.26.26.png

and now:
Screenshot 2023-11-18 alle 10.15.35.png

First of all:
THX to people that use their own know how to share with us (at least "me") the opportunity to make an Hackintosh. "Those kind people paired with the hard workers of OpenCore and Dortania deserve a round or three of whatever makes them happiest."

(cit: NorthAmTransAm)

To start I'm inspired (as is not tailored on my hardware) to this Post:
It was just the first guide to avoid several major mistake and to have a first compass...

This isn't my first Hackintosh (I started on Tonymacx86 with Snow Leopard...), and I did at least 4 or 5 hackintoshes till today. But probably this is mi last build due to M platform introduction by apple.
For this reason I didn't mind spending a few extra euros, because this build will have to last me several years.

I'm moving forward from the Z390 to the new Z790.

Planned OS: Ventura 13.6 (and within few mounts weeks: Sonoma!) + Windows 10 11.
UPDATE: moved to Sonoma on November 18th, 2023 --> Updated EFI Folder with EFI 0.9.6_Sonoma.
Heavily changed config.plist in EFI
(my 0.9.5 EFI has been my first release and was immature; with a lot of mistakes).

MY NEW HARDWARE

MoBo: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI

CPU: Intel i9-13900K

dGPU: Sapphire 6900 XT

dGPU: PowerColor Red Devil RX6800XT

I'll try also the (with NootRX kext) the Radeon RX-6700 XT MECH 2X 12GB
In this days, to avoid any misatke, I'm using my old Vega 64
... but I'll put in my PCIe the RX6900XT in the next days (unless the 6700XT performs well; but this will'arrive later).
DONE --> dGPU --> Updated to RX 6800 XT

Memory
:
Kingston Fury Renegade DDR5 6400 2x16GB
NOTE: This memory are not well supported by MoBo.
I've some instability issue (some unexpected freeze)-
I REPLACED THE TWO MEMORY BANK WITH
Corsair Vengeance 6000 Mhz DDR 2x16Gb

DISK:
- 2 3 x 4TB NVme Seagate Firecuda 530 as DATA DISK (in JBOD raid)

NVme Heatsink
- 3 x Thermalright HR-09 2280 PRO

NOTE: NVme Disk reach hight temp without the heatsink.
The firecuda I used are with their own HeatSink, but i replaced the heatsink with this new one. Result: 8-10° less in temp under stress.
READ: How to replace the Firecuda 530 heatskinh

You need to use the hairdryer to heat the back surface of the FireCuda, for about 1 min. It reaches a temperature of around 70/80°C.. after about 1 minute, at which point you can gently detach the SSD from the radiator. Do not force the disc with anything that levers for any reason.

Keyb + Mouse
Mouse:

MX Anywhere 2S have also horizontal (more or less like Magic Mouse) scroll... ;)

Keyb:

Why this two Logitech device? Take a look at:

ALREADY OWNED:
The Power Supply, Case, Cooler, SSD Sata and NVMe disk is the same I used in my actual Hackintosh, with Fenvi Card for Bluetooth and WiFi... (that I plan to sell due the new BT/WiFi on my new MoBo).

- 1 x FireCuda 530 2 TB NVME Disk as MacOS boot disk (UPDATE --> upgraded to another 4 TB FireCuda 530 2TB NVME Disk)

- 1x Nvme Samsung SSD 960 PRO 512GB as Windows disk

- NZXT Kraken X63

- NZXT h510i Case

- PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000W Titanium 80+

- SATA Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB as swap disk between MacOS and Windows, formatted as ExFat

FIRST STEP:
- Backup every single file, partition etc... at least in two different place (I'm a little paranoid!).
Syncronize the Time Machine Backup!
- Copy needed files in a separate pen drive, with all the occourring: OC 0.9.5 Release, Hackintool, KextUpdater, OpenCore Configurator or PlistEdit Pro, USBInjectAll.kext, Carbon Copy Cloner.. and so one...
Get:
- a USB3.0 flash-drive or device (I suppose that your Keyb/mouse are USB 2.0).
- a USB C device
Separate USB 2 and USB 3 and USB C devices are necessary for USB port mapping as described later.

HOW TO CREATE A:
- Ventura installation USB Disk

- Sonoma installation USB Disk:

NOTE:
I Start with Ventura as described later.
I'll upgrade to Sonoma in the next weeks. DONE! I Replaced EFI contents to fit Sonoma and upgrated to 14.1.1.

NOTE 2:
As suggested by CaseySJ in his post
in the "Make a Backup", I did (and I suggest too) a backup of my OS Boot disk (I used a 64Gb SD Card, because you need only the few GB occupied by the OS, even if the disk is of 1, 2 or 4 TB).
Negligible investment (a couple of ten of euro) but could be useful to save a lot o time if needed.
I put the "MacOS" Sd Card in a safe place, forgetting of it, for any future uses.

BIOS SETTINGS
Follow this post or look after in this my post:

USP PORT MAP:
Use this GREAT method by @CaseySJ :

COMMENTS

The Build

The Motherboard, Why this MoBo?
- Supports 4 x DDR5 memory bank (BUT: only if you really need more than 96GB of RAM you should use all 4 bank, otherwise is it's much better if you only use two banks; significant speed penalty using 4 sticks instead of 2 due to daisy chain memory topologies, which is optimized for 2 DIMM)
- Have Lan Controller Intel i225-V
- Have 4 M.2 NVme slot
- Have Intel WiFi/BT that is now supported
- And.... you don't have to sell a kidney to buy it

The Case, Why this CASE?
- Very Small (may be not the smallest, but very very small for ATX MoBo)

NVme SSD, why this NVme SSD?
- Very Fast, with a balanced price performances ratio

RAM, why this DDR5 RAM?
- Very Fast, buyed at bargains

dGPU, why this dGPU?
- Natively supported, buyed second hand at a decent price, very good performances

CPU, why this CPU?
After reading:

--> https://chriswayg.gitbook.io/opencore-visual-beginners-guide/advanced-topics/using-alder-lake
I decided for the 13900K.
I think the (this) CPU is the most important piece of the build.

CPU Tips (thx to @Colton328 for his considerations, see for a complete description)
I used "CPU Lite mode" to AUTO 12 17 (range: 1-23 in my MoBo)
Simply set "CPU Lite Mode" to 1, boot your machine, and run a stress test (CineBench).
At "1" my system crashed, so I moved it to 2, 3, 4.. and so more.
Mode 9 and 10 is definely the better choise (at least for me) and system became stable without freeze or reboot, with better performances too (less CPU Thermal Throttling).

INSTALLATION
I have Ventura from my previous build (Z390 Aourus Pro) in the same disk (Nvme Firecuda 530 2TB).
The only change I would make is in the EFI Folder, to adapt/create a new one compliant with my new configuration.
In my case I don't create an USB installation disk, but you can follow the link above.
I'm simply doing a Ventura "migration"... :)
(UPDATE --> moved to Sonoma)

BIOS SETTINGS
First: updated BIOS (mine BIOS Ver: E7E06IMS.A90 7E06vAA Rel. date 2023-11-01)
After Loading Default Setting you have to Modify:

• fTPM2.0 --> OFF
  • XMP Prifile --> 1 (with My DDR5 Ram it goes to 6400MT/s)
  • Settings \Advanced\ Integrated Peripherals --> Ignore
  • Settings \Advanced\ Integrated Graphics Configuration --> IGD Multi Monitor --> Disabled
  • Security \Secure Boot --> Secure Boot --> Disabled
  • Security \Secure Boot --> Secure Boot Mode --> Custom
  • Security \Trusted Computing --> Security Device Support --> Disable
  • Overclocking\ CPU Features --> CFG Lock --> Disable (otherwise don't boot with my EFI --> how to -->)
  • Overlocking\Advanced CPU Configuration --> Intel Speed Shift Technology --> Enabled
  • Overlocking\Advanced CPU Configuration --> Hyper-Threading --> Enable
  • Settings\ Boot --> MSI Fast Boot --> Disable (if Enable MSI Fast Boot you cant' access to Bios pressing F2 or DEL --> how to -->
  • Setting\Boot -->Fast Boot --> Disable
  • Settings\Advanced\ Power Management Setup --> ERP Ready --> Enable
  • Settings\Advanced\ Wake Up Event Setup --> Resume By USB Device --> Enable DISABLE (note: if you "enable" Resume by USB Device, you may have a problem with shutdown that reboot instead of shutdown)

NOTE: You can download directly the bios profile .zip file attached to this post and import it in your OC Profile :).
  • Probably you will find some little (or big) differences (in that case I'll write what I changed)

USB PORT MAP
Here what i activated and what I keep disabled (you can do it depending on your needs).

Screenshot 2023-10-29 alle 08.55.49 copia.png

Panel USB MAP.jpg

UTBMap.kext is inside my EFI.
NOTE: UTB Map Kext that you find in my last OC EFI File has only one of the two front (panel) port activated (the other one in my case is broken), In the EFI_OC-0.9.6.zip you find also the kext with all the two front panel port enabled).

EFI PARTITION
You find EFI Folder and NVRAM folder.
Copy EFI folder in the boot Partition.
NVRam folder will be created following the procedure to activate emulated NVRam.
See below to activate emulated NVRam (NOTE: I'm not using Emulated NVRam anymore)

Used OPENCORE 0.9.5 --> moved to 0.9.6

ACPI SECTION:

I used this guide to make my own xxx.aml files.

In my EFI (attached) you will find the file I created and the patch generated by ssdttime.
Now my Hack boot and works, but I need more fine (not only "fine") tuning and is almost perfect!
Attached you find My EFI Folder (with random populated MLB, SystemSerialNumber, SystemUUID --> change these value using GenSMBIOS or directly in OpenCore configurator.

Emulated NVRAM (TRY IT: should works without emulated NVRam)
I'm not sure if My moBo (chipset) support or not NVram nativley, so I emulated it
how to -->
EFI:
KEXT Section -->
NOTE: I strongly suggest (if you don't know what you'r doing) keep unmodified the sequence of kext

NOTE: In EFI zip you will find a folder called NVRAM that is used by the RC Script to write emulated Nvram

In my last attached EFI I put inside also some workaround to avoid shutdown/reboot issue, sleep wake and so more...
System works, but need more improvement.
I'll update EFI as soon that I change it.

What Works
  • Stable operation
  • Shutdown, restart
  • Ethernet port (onboard 2.5GbE)
  • on board WiFi, Bluetooth (see What doesn't work for Bluetooth)
  • Audio
  • Quick Look, Preview
  • iCloud, App Store, Apple TV
  • Amazon Prime, Video in Safari
  • Manual Sleep (CPU and case fans stop)
  • Auto sleep/wake
  • Wake from sleep but only by power button
  • Hardware Acceleration (as expected)
  • Quite good performances without overclocking (Cinebench R23: about 36400 pt/Geekbench6: about 20.000)
Screenshot 2023-11-01 alle 00.19.47.png

Screenshot 2023-11-01 alle 13.03.05.png

Screenshot 2023-11-02 alle 21.33.38.png

Screenshot 2023-11-02 alle 21.35.57.png

OpenCL and Metal score probably can be a little highter.... but... it's ok (for now)!

Screenshot 2023-11-01 alle 13.00.56.png

Screenshot 2023-11-02 alle 12.20.00.png

Not yet tested

• Automatic Sleep
  • Messages, FaceTime (I dont'use it...)
  • Universal clipboard, Continuity, AirDrop (I dont'use it...)
  • Cloud, App Store, Apple TV
  • Amazon Prime Video in Safari
  • AirPlay Receiver (I dont'use it...)
What doesn't work
  • Wake from sleep by mouse/keyboard (probably I've to make a new and more precise USB port map) SOLVED - Enable "wake from USB" on BIOS
  • Poor CPU Performances --> geekbench 6 Multi core: 10.000 (more or less); in Windows about 21.000... :(
  • iGPU (UHD 770) is not supported in macOS
  • After wake from sleep bluetooth stop working... (some times works, usually don't!).

Important: if you do same migration as I did, please don't remember to remove all "com.apple.PowerManagement.plist" from /Library/Preferences otherwise sleep/wake may won't work properly.

In the next days I'll do fine tuning for performances improvement, wake from sleep end solve other small issue.
(I hope test also the RX 6700 XT with NootRx kext).
The improvement I've to do is in graphics performances (OpenCL and Metal).

My EFI will be updated every time I modify it.

During stress test my CPU temp stay at 98-100°C with a peack of about 300W Power consumption (iStatMenu)

If you have some questions, I will kindly answer in my free time.

EFI Update History (starting from 11.13.2023):
November 13th, 2023

OC still 0.9.5 - Updated EFI Partition, changed some ACPI files - RestrictEvents.kext updated to 1.1.3
November 17th, 2023
OC updated to 0.9.6 - Updated EFI Partition, changed ACPI files and patch - Updated Kext
Results: improved stability; still some issue
Screenshot 2023-11-17 alle 11.30.51.png

- November 18th, 2023
Moved to Sonoma 14.1 --> Open Core still 0.9.6 with some changed kext to fit Sonoma; note that I updated only some Kext regarding BT and WIFI (Attached: EFI-096_Sonoma) (note: as usual SMBios, UUID, ROM... are randomly generated)
- November 24th, 2023 - Open Core still 0.9.6 with complete config.plist review.
NOTE: UTBMap.kext has only 13 port (one one my front case USB port is broken... i removed it from UTBMap.kext); I upload also the "UTBMap-2port front.kext" that has all the 2 ports working. I removed also the internal port dedicated to "MysticLight" on port HS02 that create sleep/wake issue.
What doesn't work: after wake from sleep, bluetooth stop working... (some times works, usually don't!).
- December 18th, 2023 - Open Core still 0.9.6 with complete config.plist review and iMacPro1.1 Platform.
New EFI: EFI iMacPro1.1.zip (UUID, MLB, SN etc.. must be changed, inside config.plist are populated with a random generated info. NOTE: same UTBMap.kext with only 13 port - New MsOcFile18122023.ocb.zip BIOS configuration file.
REMEMBER: don't forget to reset/clean NVram when you change OC version!

NOTE: Added BIOS (file: MsOcFile18122023.ocb.zip) profile (you can simply download it, unzip, and import it in bios settings)

UPDATE (01/23/2024):
- Bios update to 7E06vAB
- bios configuration file updated for download to the new bios version (File --> AB023012024.ocb.zip)

(note: I disabled the resume from USB device to avoid reboot on shutdown)

Update 01/27/2024
- Update to OC 0.9.7
- Update to MacOS 14.3
- replaced dGPU with a Powercolor Red Devil RX 6800 XT
Attached new EFI Folder with new OC 0.9.7 (EFI OC 0.9.7 iMacPro1,1.zip), don't forget to clean NVRam.

Update 03/03/2024
- Update to OC 0.9.8
- Update to MacOS 14.3.1
- replaced dGPU with a XFX MERC 319 RX 6950 XT 16 GB
In the post
#63 you will find new EFI (with spoofed 6950XT) and some info.

NOTE 2: future minor updates will be added in the next post reply

Only major/big update will be added in this post

Hope this poste can helps!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-01 alle 00.44.51.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 alle 00.44.51.png
    225.6 KB · Views: 177
  • EFI_096.zip
    85.8 MB · Views: 293
  • UTBMap-2port front.kext.zip
    2 KB · Views: 62
  • EFI_OC_0.9.6._Sonoma.zip
    30.5 MB · Views: 176
  • EFI iMacPro1.1.zip
    74.2 MB · Views: 156
  • MsOcFile18122023.ocb.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 35
  • AB023012024.ocb.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 26
  • EFI OC 0.9.7 iMacPro1,1.zip
    64.3 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Some adjustament here (so I've not to modify every time the main post)

I WROTE:
Important:
if you do same migration as I did, please don't remember to remove all "com.apple.PowerManagement.plist" from /Library/Preferences otherwise sleep/wake may won't work properly.

BUT YOU HAVE TO READ AS:
--> Important: if you do same migration as I did, please don't forget to remove all "com.apple.PowerManagement.plist" from /Library/Preferences otherwise sleep/wake may won't work properly.

UPDATE: Continuity works from iPhone to Hackintos but not vice versa.
And I can answer a call from my Hack (works well)!

PS: you will find some kext that are there as "slag" of my previous EFI test... you can delete it completely if not used in config.plist

UPDATE 03/15/2024
In recent days I purchased (strictly second hand!) an iPhone and an Apple Watch (I was the last "Android user" in my family).
"Appetite comes with eating" (it's a saying in Italy)...
At this point I felt the need to have AirDrop working and to be able to use more functions of my Hackintosh (unlock with apple watch for example)...
I then bought a Fenvi T919 (...used!) and implemented WiFi and BT on Sonoma. Obviously I disabled WiFI and BT on the motherboard.
In the meantime:
- Updated to 14.4
- Updated to OC 0.9.9

To upgrade to the Fenvi T919 I looked around a bit and followed this post:

Result: everything works perfectly!
I attach new EFI with
- OC 0.9.9 (the serial number/UUID etc are randomly generated)
I remember that "0.9.9 - 6950XT FENVI T919.ZIP" is for 6950XT dGPU and Fenvi T919 card

MEMO:
- clean nvram
- when upgrade to OC 0.9.9 i repeated the step to emulate NVRam due to a change in LogoutHook
as suggested here: https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/releases -->
  • Updated Launchd.command to work with macOS Sonoma (re-run ./Launchd.command install after upgrading to Sonoma)
At the moment my hackintosh is almost perfect!!!

Hope this helps
:)

UPDATED

What Works
  • Stable operation
  • Shutdown, restart
  • Ethernet port (onboard 2.5GbE)
  • on board WiFi, Bluetooth
  • Audio
  • Quick Look, Preview
  • iCloud, App Store, Apple TV
  • Amazon Prime, Video in Safari
  • Manual Sleep (CPU,dGPU, case fans stop)
  • Auto sleep/wake
  • Wake from sleep, but only by power button
  • Hardware Acceleration (as expected)
  • Quite good performances without overclocking (Cinebench R23: about 38800 pt/Geekbench6: about 2017.000) - See various posts to understand why. Load Line set to 5.... better Cinebench Score but poor GeekBench 6 score
  • Sleep/Wake from sleep works flawlessy
  • Messages, FaceTime
  • Continuity, Handoff, AirDrop, Call transfer from iPhone to Hack works well, Watch Unlock
  • Cloud, App Store, Apple TV
  • Amazon Prime Video in Safari
What doesn't work
  1. Wake from sleep by mouse/keyboard (I keep disabled in bios to avoid some other issue like reboot instead shut down)
UPDATE: I noticed that disabling wifi/BT on board (intel) and using the FENVI T919 the restart problem disappeared (restart instead shutdown). At this point I left "wake from USB device" active in bios. The problem was related to the USB ports used by the on-board devices.

My Hackintosh now seems/works really as an original mac!
  1. iGPU (UHD 770) is not supported in macOS
  2. After wake from sleep sometimes (with probability of 1%) bluetooth stop working... (99%, works).

I'm using Logitech MX Keyboard (MacOS Version) and Logitech MX Anywhere 2s mouse, both connected with the Unify receiver.
Obviously there is no difference using an apple keyboard and mouse connected via bluetooth (now, with Fenfi, sporadic BT disconnection after wake from sleep are disappeared)

Attachments

• 0.9.9 - 6950XT FENVI T919.zip
    69.8 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Great build!
do you have any plans to install supported Wi-Fi and BT cards? in future

Last edited:
I got my inte
Ciao @Detectivepundit,
I'm using the BT/WiFi integrated in my MSI PRO Z790-P WiFi (Intel® Wi-Fi 6E and BT 5).
I've no reason to install others cards.

If you are in similar situation look at:

https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless/IntelBluetoothFirmware --> for Intel Bluetooth

and

https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless/itlwm --> for Intel WiFi card
I got my intel BT and Wifi working but was curious as Airdrop clipboard and contunity hand off not working in Intel cards. your one working? or you don’t need those features?

Also I have seen a few kexts that’s are not related to Intel wifi. something like brcm kexts. for what are you using those kexts? please

I got my inte

I got my intel BT and Wifi working but was curious as Airdrop clipboard and contunity hand off not working in Intel cards. your one working? or you don’t need those features?

Also I have seen a few kexts that’s are not related to Intel wifi. something like brcm kexts. for what are you using those kexts? please
Not yet tested. To be honest I dont need it and I dont use it.
UPDATE: continuity works from iPhone to Hackintos but not vice versa.
I can answer a phone call from Hack (and works well)!

PS: The others kext are there as "slag" of my previous test... you can delete it completely

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back