Contribute
Register

(Success) ReWrite: Yosemite 10.10.2 MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | i5-4460 | Asus Strix GTS 960: Silent Beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Success)ReWrite: Yosemite 10.10.2 MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | i5-4460 | Asus Strix GTS 960: Silent Beast

Thank you for your help.
I was able to install finish the basic installation today. I have to get a 8GB USB though. I had before 16GB and 32GB but none worked. Also I have to use -v -x
One thing I notice is now there is a "RAID" mark on my boot drive icon on the Chimera boot screen. Is that how it should be? Is there any advantage/disadvantage of this Logical Volume thing? Do you have the same? Should I convert it back to GUID or something?

(Success)ReWrite: Yosemite 10.10.2 MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | i5-4460 | Asus Strix GTS 960: Silent Beast

Hi!

I've updated my card from gtx660 to gtx960 (gigabyte) on a Yosemite 10.10.2 system. I've installed the new drivers from nVidia without problems, but sometimes they load and sometimes they don't.

The first time that I rebooted after the driver installation, it was OK, the drivers worked. I selected in the panel "nVidia web driver" instead of Mac OS X ones, but then I rebooted again and I couldn't reach the desktop. I reinstalled the drivers (booted using nv_disable) and it worked again. One more reboot and it stopped working.

Has anyone the same problem? Why is it that right after the installation the drivers work and then they don't work anymore?

Thank you!

Please re-read this:

THE NEXT STEP:

Go here : http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...ate-graphics-drivers-10-10-2-343-02-02-a.html

And download the Nvidia web drivers and go here http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

Make sure to get the latest CUDA drivers and install Cuda first and them the Nvidia web drivers. The Web ons will force a restart Don't do it yet just ignore the window;

A word from tony:
"1. Open Finder
2. Navigate to /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist
3. Open in TextEdit
4. Add nvda_drv=1 to Kernel Flags as shown:

Example Usage:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000]
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>nvda_drv=1</string>[/COLOR]
5. Save and reboot

You should be on the new NVIDIA drivers."

NOW if the lines are already there then fine go ahead and restart and REMOVE THE USB with your unibeast on it.

You should be treated with Chimera and just boot right in with -v just to make sure everything is still working, and no kernel panic happens. If no KP happens move to, LAST LAST STEP. If you get a KP manual shut down and reload using "nv_disable=1" no quotes will get you back into the loading screen, usually if you can't get to the desktop it is because you needed to add the kernel flag and string. here is what my plist looks like:

LAST LAST STEP:
Once this is done, and you can successfully load into the desktop make sure you select this:
Otherwise you'll load after install graphics card with 7-8mb for memory because your still selecting default drivers and it boots the graphics into some sort of safe mode. Shut down again and then install the Graphics card. Then start it up and you should be just fine. I ran LOL at a constant 60 FPS on medium settings. I could probably get better but this is just fine for me

Here is a screen of my About this mac window:
If you screen shows you have 7-8 mb on your graphics it is because you missed the kernel flags in plist and i would check them again and to select NVIDIA WED DRIVERS in the nvidia control panel or on the task bar:

Here is my Benchmark on extreme settings. I usually play on Low or medium and this same Benchmark on low settings tripled the frame rate:

Please recommend if this work for you! Leave a comment if help is needed! Hoping to build more! Happy Trails.

Original thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...7mx-gaming-5-i5-4460-gtx-960-first-build.html changed a lot at first i was going for a gigabyte board. MSI was chosen for the color scheme.

Second Build: Silent Cheap Beast: Will post guide soon it is a MSI Z97 SLI Kraken MOBO. WITH BUILD PICTURES!

I believe you are missing "nvda_drv=1" in your .plist

Thank you for your help.
I was able to install finish the basic installation today. I have to get a 8GB USB though. I had before 16GB and 32GB but none worked. Also I have to use -v -x
One thing I notice is now there is a "RAID" mark on my boot drive icon on the Chimera boot screen. Is that how it should be? Is there any advantage/disadvantage of this Logical Volume thing? Do you have the same? Should I convert it back to GUID or something?

I myself do not have a clue on the raid thing it is not anything i have noticed on my computer...I would try posting in the Yosemite Desktop support forums for that one. if you have a cell phone try to take a picture and post it here if you can.

I was able to fix that issue by reversing the Core Volume thing back to normal.
Now I face with a new issue.
Everything was ok until the point I plug in the graphic card. I turn the computer on. I chose the new Yosemite boot drive and boot with -v. It still boots ok up to the point of showing the regular Mac Login Screen where you type in the password, my monitor turn black like there was no signal at all. Now I dont know what to do.
Edit: I forgot to mention I did include the nvda_drv=1 in the plist which happened after installation of CUDA and Web Driver. Also, I was able to reach the desktop right before I plugged in the card

Finally, I was able to get to the desktop with GraphicsEnabler=Yes
I will report back for any issue.
For now, thanks all for your help :mrgreen:

Finally, I was able to get to the desktop with GraphicsEnabler=Yes
I will report back for any issue.
For now, thanks all for your help :mrgreen:

That's awesome! Only thing is you shouldn't need GE=Yes at all. Make sure when u get back into the desktop select the nvidia web drivers again. I had to do that after getting the card in there and reboot without GE=YES and see what happens.

Thanks for the great guide.

I have the same motherboard and case but a GTX-970 in SLI but I can't even get into the installer no matter what boot flags or combination of boot flags. The install hangs at the Apple logo and the progress bar is about 10-15% or without the graphic boot it stops at "BluetoothHCIController - completed" which is just before the graphics are loaded from my research which leads me to believe the problem is with my video card setup.

I am going to try again (maybe the SLI is a problem?) using your guide and take out one video card but a few questions:

1. I'm using the latest BIOS v1.8, I'm assuming you took those screenshots before you updated?
2. What video cable are you using? DVI, Displayport, etc?

Thanks for the great guide.

I have the same motherboard and case but a GTX-970 in SLI but I can't even get into the installer no matter what boot flags or combination of boot flags. The install hangs at the Apple logo and the progress bar is about 10-15% or without the graphic boot it stops at "BluetoothHCIController - completed" which is just before the graphics are loaded from my research which leads me to believe the problem is with my video card setup.

I am going to try again (maybe the SLI is a problem?) using your guide and take out one video card but a few questions:

1. I'm using the latest BIOS v1.8, I'm assuming you took those screenshots before you updated?
2. What video cable are you using? DVI, Displayport, etc?

I am using hdmi.

I can tell you if you are attempting to boot with graphics installed you will get a hang. You must not put graphics in the system. Use the on board hdmi to install yosemite. If that still doesn't work I guess try GraphicsEnabler= Yes like a previous poster and see what that does. I don't believe I needed it. What it sounds like is you already installed the graphics card. Like I said if so take it out and reattmpt. I only need -v to get to installer which just gives you verbose mode in case something happens and doesn't proceed you can debug. Please post back. If you get into the installer great now try to get into the main desk top. Once I get your guy's success I'll add trouble shooting section.

Edit: I feel like a moron I just now realized you have 2 of these cards, please take them both out! Haha. If you really must boot with one in please use nv_disable=1 this will make the screen really chopy but you'll be able to get in and do everything. The smoothest install for me on the 7 board was to not install graphics hardware and just use onboard.

Also I am still on 1.7 bios but it should not matter unless the options you disable in Boise are not there.

Last edited:

I used MacPro 3,1 which is Mac Pro (early 2008) but have since change it to iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) which is iMac 14,2 for my audio when my mac goes to sleep and come back up I was having no sound so i fixed it with that.

TylerWorth, I followed your guide and got everything working with my 960!! As a note, I couldn't boot without changing my system def to iMac 14, 2 so you may want to mention that in the guide itself. It also may have fixed my audio as it wasn't working in the past (ASUS H97M-PLUS). I'll post my benchmark results in the main 960 thread. I also have a post about some issues I had and their solutions that I'll link here.

Thank you so much!!!

TylerWorth, I followed your guide and got everything working with my 960!! As a note, I couldn't boot without changing my system def to iMac 14, 2 so you may want to mention that in the guide itself. It also may have fixed my audio as it wasn't working in the past (ASUS H97M-PLUS). I'll post my benchmark results in the main 960 thread. I also have a post about some issues I had and their solutions that I'll link here.

Thank you so much!!!

Your welcome man, Thanks for the Credit when posting you found a solution in your other threads. I see some potential issues with your boot file. I will write to it in a minute. I did notice we used different boards and that may be why you had so many issues because my boot.plist is for my board. But I am glad you let me know I helped and that there may be some things others may need to watch for. I will update this soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back