Motherboard
Gigabyte H67A-UD3-B3
CPU
i5-2300
Graphics
HD 5700
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
The installation guide say "please update clover". I´ve downloaded it - but unlike an installer like in Multibeast, I find only a collection of folders.

Now I COULD copy these into the efi-partition of the drive to be updated. But then.... surely one or the other kext or whatever else would be missing? Which I think BECAUSE: The whole downloaded Clover V2 Folder (including one called EFI, which I suspect means to to replace the "old" EFI-Volume contents?) has only about 14 MB. While the old existing EFI partition of my drive has 24,2 MB.

Could someone please clarify what to do? Should I replace all old EFI-Volume contents? Including the separate "boot" file below the EFI-folder?
Or do I have to "selectively replace" things?

And should I really add all the additional folders, besides the actual EFI folder, which "could" replace the old existing one?

And: No "Multibeast" needed any longer for Ventura, when updating from El Capitan?

Thanks so much!

The installation guide say "please update clover". I´ve downloaded it - but unlike an installer like in Multibeast, I find only a collection of folders.

Now I COULD copy these into the efi-partition of the drive to be updated. But then.... surely one or the other kext or whatever else would be missing? Which I think BECAUSE: The whole downloaded Clover V2 Folder (including one called EFI, which I suspect means to to replace the "old" EFI-Volume contents?) has only about 14 MB. While the old existing EFI partition of my drive has 24,2 MB.

Could someone please clarify what to do? Should I replace all old EFI-Volume contents? Including the separate "boot" file below the EFI-folder?
Or do I have to "selectively replace" things?

And should I really add all the additional folders, besides the actual EFI folder, which "could" replace the old existing one?

And: No "Multibeast" needed any longer for Ventura, when updating from El Capitan?

Thanks so much!
I have moved your post to Desktop Support

you may be best in looking into OpenCore instead

...well open core leads to the same questions: what will I do with the old EFI-Volume content (delete it?), and will I have to copy ALL of the new content "as downloaded" into the EFI volume?

And is this really so universally working, that even on my picky sandy bridge system sound and graphics will work?

THX

...well open core leads to the same questions: what will I do with the old EFI-Volume content (delete it?), and will I have to copy ALL of the new content "as downloaded" into the EFI volume?

And is this really so universally working, that even on my picky sandy bridge system sound and graphics will work?

THX
I suppose you could keep your old EFI as a backup just in case

also have a read up on:

Well I found the "Clover EFI" r5157 installer package on sourceforge, and updated to what seemed to be the latest clover version. The UI looks a bit like Multibeast, so I thought "go". All entries left standard. Of course.... now it boots no more. It displays no image or name of the drive to boot from, and the first symbol of the Clover boot prompt, which appears, appears broken. Its explanation reads something like "Boot shell 64". This I entered - and black screen resulted.

Will now recopy the old EFI content to the EFI volume to make the volume bootable - but am not any wiser.

I´ve compared the EFI contents: Besides a few updated files, which were there before, nothing like folder structure e.g. has actually changed.

For Ventura, are there additional EFI contents necessary?

Well I found the "Clover EFI" r5157 installer package on sourceforge, and updated to what seemed to be the latest clover version. The UI looks a bit like Multibeast, so I thought "go". All entries left standard. Of course.... now it boots no more. It displays no image or name of the drive to boot from, and the first symbol of the Clover boot prompt, which appears, appears broken. Its explanation reads something like "Boot shell 64". This I entered - and black screen resulted.

Will now recopy the old EFI content to the EFI volume to make the volume bootable - but am not any wiser.

I´ve compared the EFI contents: Besides a few updated files, which were there before, nothing like folder structure e.g. has actually changed.

For Ventura, are there additional EFI contents necessary?
with later versions of clover, they have had to mash in a lot of opencore elements, this goes back to Big Sur as only opencore was the only boot loader that could boot Big Sur properly

because of this, clover now has to have a lot of opencore elements that needs to be added to the config.plist to make it work

so you now have a choice, and that is to learn new clover with opencore

or like a huge majority here, to learn just the one bootloader, opencore

it is a lot cleaner and once you have grasped it, a lot easier to use

Well... after reading a bit in the after El Capitan sections, it now appears I should first update to Sierra and then so on... or even the wrong System definition (like "Mac Pro early 2008", which appears to be no longer supported) may kill it. Looks like a lot of work, and no way to skip all the in-betweener updates....

Well... after reading a bit in the after El Capitan sections, it now appears I should first update to Sierra and then so on... or even the wrong System definition (like "Mac Pro early 2008", which appears to be no longer supported) may kill it. Looks like a lot of work, and no way to skip all the in-betweener updates....
correct, a lot of reading to do... especially before updating to a later bootloader.....

By the way... is it possible, that Apple requires the "last" El Capitan version installed for any higher version like Sierra? No it isn´t... says system requirement for it would be 10.7.5

I checked it through the app store, and all they offer to me is 10.11.6. Current is bit earlier. When I search for "Sierra", no update pops up. System definition been changed to iMac 14.2 as recommended.

By the way... is it possible, that Apple requires the "last" El Capitan version installed for any higher version like Sierra? No it isn´t... says system requirement for it would be 10.7.5

I checked it through the app store, and all they offer to me is 10.11.6. Current is bit earlier. When I search for "Sierra", no update pops up. System definition been changed to iMac 14.2 as recommended.

As you can see, prior to High Sierra you have to download directly and go through the procedure Apple outlines to get the installer. After that, the App Store should work.

:)

Back