Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a second SSD named HD1 that I mirror from my main SSD names HD. (The names are from a long time ago when they were actually spinning hard drives.) I used SuperDuper to clone HD to HD1 before upgrading to Ventura because the CPU is a Haswell generation so I wanted an easy way to go back just in case everything went south. It didn't and Ventura is running well on the Haswell processor. The problem (really just cosmetic) is that in the OpenCore picker, both drives show up as HD while in the Finder, diskutil, and Disk Utility, one is HD while the other is HD1. I don't believe this is the Finder renaming the drive so two drives with the same names don't show up. HD1 is the name I gave it when I installed it.

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 11.32.23 AM.png

The screenshots below show details of what I'm about to describe.

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 11.07.33 AM.png

This screenshot is a portion of the listing of drives in diskutil showing HD1's 5 APFS partitions.

I mounted the Preboot volume of HD1 according to the directions from https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/issues/779 and checked the name in .disk_label.contentDetails.

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 11.07.48 AM.png

Even though the name in the Finder is HD1, the name stored in Preboot is HD. I'm guessing that's because SuperDuper cloned the Preboot partition from the HD drive to HD1.

Now that I know where this information is, is there any way to change it? As I said it's really cosmetic in the OC picker and I know which is which.

And, just out of curiosity, does anyone know where the OC picker gets volume names?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a second SSD named HD1 that I mirror from my main SSD names HD. (The names are from a long time ago when they were actually spinning hard drives.) I used SuperDuper to clone HD to HD1 before upgrading to Ventura because the CPU is a Haswell generation so I wanted an easy way to go back just in case everything went south. It didn't and Ventura is running well on the Haswell processor. The problem (really just cosmetic) is that in the OpenCore picker, both drives show up as HD while in the Finder, diskutil, and Disk Utility, one is HD while the other is HD1. I don't believe this is the Finder renaming the drive so two drives with the same names don't show up. HD1 is the name I gave it when I installed it.

View attachment 577695

The screenshots below show details of what I'm about to describe.

View attachment 577693
This screenshot is a portion of the listing of drives in diskutil showing HD1's 5 APFS partitions.

I mounted the Preboot volume of HD1 according to the directions from https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/issues/779 and checked the name in .disk_label.contentDetails.

View attachment 577697

Even though the name in the Finder is HD1, the name stored in Preboot is HD. I'm guessing that's because SuperDuper cloned the Preboot partition from the HD drive to HD1.

Now that I know where this information is, is there any way to change it? As I said it's really cosmetic in the OC picker and I know which is which.

And, just out of curiosity, does anyone know where the OC picker gets volume names?

Thanks in advance for any help.
there has been talk about this before and apparently installing and running Intel Power Gadget sorted this out

read up on page 2

there has been talk about this before and apparently installing and running Intel Power Gadget sorted this out

read up on page 2
Thanks. A lot of work and the possibility of really messing something up for something that's just cosmetic. Then I would have to redo any time I cloned the drive again. When I have some time, I might run the installer over top of the current install to see if that makes a difference.

Back