Contribute
Register

Where is the guide for entering bootflags from the picker in Opencore?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
I was screwing around and now my Hackintosh freezes 3/4 of the way through the boot. I want to enable verbose (-v) and safety mode (-x), but I don't know how to do it in Opencore. I pressed the spacebar and found OpenShell, but now I have no idea what to do. I can't find the videos / guide on this. Please advise.

Former Clover user, I suppose? OpenCore does not let you change boot flags from the picker; edit config.plist.

If OpenCore is set to pass keys to macOS, you can use Cmd-V for verbose.

OpenCore is set to pass keys to macOS
No idea. Googling this set of words gave me nothing. Hitting cmd-v did nothing so far as I could tell.

edit config.plist.

Please direct me to the guide on how to do this with openshell. I've been unable to locate it. If I edit the config.plist won't it be permanent??

I was screwing around and now my Hackintosh freezes 3/4 of the way through the boot. I want to enable verbose (-v) and safety mode (-x), but I don't know how to do it in Opencore. I pressed the spacebar and found OpenShell, but now I have no idea what to do. I can't find the videos / guide on this. Please advise.
if in your config.plist you have PollAppleHotKeys set to true..

then at the opencore picker, press cmd+v or alt on a normal keyboard, the press enter, that will do verbose

Verbose mode worked until about 1/4 of the way through the boot, then the screen blanked and flashed back to a progress bar. I gave up and managed to boot from a backup. I'll try to fix my problems from there. I'm giving up on trying to understand openshell.

OpenShell drops you to the UEFI shell, which you can select directly from the boot manager (F11, or whatever) without going into OpenCore at all. It is useful to perform firmware upgrades, not to change configuration on the fly.

Verbose mode worked until about 1/4 of the way through the boot, then the screen blanked and flashed back to a progress bar.
That is the normal and expected boot process.

The Verbose text stops after about 25% of the way through the OpenCore/Clover & macOS boot process. Processes are then managed and handled by the OS, hence the progress bar usually in two phases. The progress bard is what would be shown on the display of a real Mac while macOS was booting to the OS login screen.

Clover and OpenCore are completely different animals when it comes to pre-boot options. Clover has lots of options, OpenCore very few. You need to have access to a system to edit the config.plist if you want to change boot arguments in OpenCore. Whether that be a Mac, Hack or other OS with a compatible Plist Editor.

Clover and OpenCore are completely different animals when it comes to pre-boot options. Clover has lots of options, OpenCore very few. You need to have access to a system to edit the config.plist if you want to change boot arguments in OpenCore. Whether that be a Mac, Hack or other OS with a compatible Plist Editor.
I have recently come to this realization that unlike Clover, you can't change the boot arguments in the OpenCore picker. You have to edit the corresponding config.plist file to change boot arguments.

While OpenCore definitely seems to work better than the old Clover with MacOS, I can't help but feel this inability to change boot arguments in the boot picker is a regression, as a user coming from the old Clover (5119 and older).

I agree not being able to change the boot arguments from the OC boot screen is a big loss. The ability to change settings in the config plist on the fly, as a one time boot, was one of the better things about Clover.

Back