Contribute
Register

Will Apple attempt to block Mac OS 10.7 hackintosh?

How Long after release will 10.7 be fully hackintoshed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if Apple were THAT worried about hackintoshes they would have moved a long time ago, AND they wouldn't have started using Intel CPUs.

I don't think apple cares about us. I think they see us as a market that they already have or wouldn't have.

Think about it most of us:

-already own an apple computer (iMac or Macbook)
-own some sort of iOS device
-buy apple accessories for our hackintosh (magic mouse, trackpad, apple cinema display)
-use the mac app store** on our hackintosh

**this one is huge to support what I'm saying, apple could easily make the mac app store open to only registered mac computers with real serial numbers etc.. but they let us buy apps because they know we represent profit for them.

I think Jobs has us in the category of "I Don't Care, But Don't Expect Any Help From Us [Apple]." While he'd probably prefer we all use Apple Macs, I doubt he cares about us enough to really be bothered enough to do anything about us. Of course, that also means he doesn't care enough to bother with designing any sort of support for our Hackintoshes.

I believe that Apple make quite a lot of money out of the hackintosh brigade, however Lion might need an EFI boot client similar to what is currently underway at Project OSX and certain IRC locations. The only issue is DRM if they decided to use that to check the hardware, but they make a lot of sales without having to provide support, and methinks they would have done it already.

I would not be surprised to see a sharp increase in the cost of LION to match windows.

I think that apple doesn't really care about us hackintoshing as we are hobbyists rather than their target audience who just wants their computer to work. Apple seems to turn the blind eye to us, but seems to love to give us a few hoops to jump through.

I think what everyone else has posted is pretty true. we represent a market that they don't want to/haven't got into of not stupid money powerful but upgradeable machines.

Apple doesn't have to provide support, most of us buy apple accessories and think about it, how much effort do we go to to make osx work on our pcs?
I think we are a testament to the fact their OS is the best.

I feel as if people view making and maintaining a hackintosh very difficult to do. Apple initially seems to market their products as being EASY to use.

Talking to people that own Mac's and buy Mac's... they would rather pay to have everything done for them. They don't see it worth the time and effort to build their own Mac... nor have the ability to do so.

You need to know hardware. Mac users don't seem to know about any of this.

You need to know your way around installing the software. Mac users want an appstore to click once or twice to have everything done for them.

Many Mac people just want to buy Mac's because they are "pretty" and aesthetically pleasing. This is my sister's reasoning to buy a Macbook Pro. Mac doesn't really sell anything part by part, piece by piece for us to only buy what we want. As the average computer user, you have to buy all or none.

...but wrapping it up... most people just don't want to.

I don't think Apple will put in new measures to specifically block hackintoshin' however they may update the EFI systems in macs so iBoot / EFI emu will need to be changed. Also isn't it going to be distubuted via the Mac App store not on physical media. I bet that'll be an ass to work around. The App store doesn't even work on My H'Tosh!

I agree with CHANDLERandrew, but would expand it to most users, be they windows or Macintosh. They just want to buy a machine to do specific things and are not even interested in adding memory!

I would hope Steve Jobs thinks of Hackintosh builders in similar light to his continuing work to create. I think the creation of a Hackintosh and fighting to make it work smoothly is a part of what moves the industry forward. :wave:

App store, iTunes work on my Hack :) Even purchased software/apps and even created a new Apple ID using my iHack...

Let's see... will apple devote resources/manpower/protection so they can sell more $29 software?

--or--

The more people get hooked on Macs/OSX, the more likely they will also buy ipods/iPhone/iPads next.... which is where the real PROFIT is.

from the apple website... we're just talking about 2011 Q1

* Apple sold 4.13 million Macs during the quarter.....
* The Company sold 16.24 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 86 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter.
* Apple sold 19.45 million iPods during the quarter...
* The Company also sold 7.33 million iPads during the quarter.

Update: Q3 earnings today - 7/19/11

aapl_sales_by_quarter.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back