Contribute
Register

Z590 AORUS Master i7-11700K RX580 Help Needed - Limited USB Function

Thanks for the assist @P1LGRIM!
Yes that was what I was referring to (the EFI). I understand it’s easy to get confused with the terms sometimes.

Crap! I had totally misread your post. I know the difference between EFI and BIOS, I simply misread it somehow.

Thanks Again!
Troy

Last edited:
No I think you've been mistaken. When I said SecureBoot disabled I meant the settings from the EFI.
Check the section under Misc > Security > SecureBootModel > Disabled.
I know this because I'd checked and it was set to Default before.
Greetings Middleman,

It's taken me a couple of days to get back to this. First of all, I'd like to thank you for your help and patience. I'm by no means an expert when it comes to EFI configurations, nor am I a complete noob. I'm pretty sure I'd been spending too much time on this as indicated thinking I read BIOS, when you clearly wrote EFI.

I switched SecureBootModel to Disabled as you suggested; however, I'm now getting the output below and it just sits there, no longer throwing me into recovery mode.

I can get rid of the "OC" messages easily enough by deselecting the GPU related kexts and removing the Ethernet related patches; however, the remainder of the output remains the same.

Thanks Again
Troy

OpenCore Boot Menu (REL -093-2023-06-12)
  1. Server HD Clone (This is the OSX High Sierra install)
  2. Hackintosh Pro HD Clone (This is a macOS Ventura 13.5 beta install on a separate drive)
  3. Recovery 13.5 (dng)
  4. UEFI Shell
  5. Reset NVRM
|Restart| |Shutdown|

Choose the Operating System: OK

End SetConsoleMode
OC: Prelinked injection RadeonSensor.kext (VO.3.3) - Invalid Parameter
OC: Prelinked injection SMCRadeonGPU.kext (VO.3.3) - Invalid Parameter
OC: Prelinked patcher result 0 for com.apple.driver .AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion (RQC 187 10 GbE v2) - Not Found
OC: Prelinked patcher result 1 for com.apple.driver AppleIntel1210Ethernet () - Not Found
Start LoadKernelFromStream
End LoadKernelFromStream
Start InitBootStruct

root device uuid is 'AB58273F-6CEE-312D-8429-C6154CAGC13B'
End InitBootStruct
Start LoadRAMDisk
End LoadRAMDisk
Start FinalizeBootStruct
Start RandonSeed
End RandonSeed

Last edited:
Hi @Troy.Blackburn,

Thanks for your message. I believe I have found what the issue behind it is.
Missing Kernel > Emulate patches for 9th gen and a few other things! In the EFI I'd sent you earlier was designed for later OSes like Monterey and Ventura but not High Sierra specific settings. So I'd gone back to the drawing board so to speak and rebuilt the EFI purely for High Sierra, so I've gone ahead and done that for you.

I would also like to mention I'd noticed you have missing MLB and ROM fields in your original EFI under the PlatformInfo. You must (re)populate these somehow. ROM can be found as the MAC address of your Ethernet card under Windows. MLB I believe is generated by the system.

Anyway here's the updated EFI. Give it a try.

Attachments

• EFI new.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 47
@Troy.Blackburn

Thanks for the advice and small tips. 'Boot from Windows' is my general go-to answer I'd almost forgot we had an option for Linux too. That's one of the great things about Opencore, it is incredibly flexible.

With regards to the EFI build, I find I am still learning things every day (as I go along). I have a Z590I board also (Gigabyte Vision D) but I tend to run Monterey on it (currently testing Ventura). I have a 11900K on it and I hadn't tried High Sierra at all - the EFI I provided is based on one of my previous Z490 builds. Because it is using a RX6600 and the IGPU is also unsupported I am unable to boot anything earlier than Monterey on the Z590I. But I'm willing to give it a shot (using igfxvesa). I'll probably add it afterwards to the build page.

Troy, I hope the new EFI works for you. I apologise for overlooking the fact you were trying to boot it on High Sierra and wasting your time earlier (fyi I don't like to waste peoples time). Whenever I make an EFI for a new platform or motherboard, I always look for system solidity and compatibility first. Usually that means the build is geared towards the latest (working) versions of macOS.

Hi @Troy.Blackburn,

Thanks for your message. I believe I have found what the issue behind it is.
Missing Kernel > Emulate patches for 9th gen and a few other things! In the EFI I'd sent you earlier was designed for later OSes like Monterey and Ventura but not High Sierra specific settings. So I'd gone back to the drawing board so to speak and rebuilt the EFI purely for High Sierra, so I've gone ahead and done that for you.

I would also like to mention I'd noticed you have missing MLB and ROM fields in your original EFI under the PlatformInfo. You must (re)populate these somehow. ROM can be found as the MAC address of your Ethernet card under Windows. MLB I believe is generated by the system.

Anyway here's the updated EFI. Give it a try.
(Update to this posted below this post)

Greetings Middleman,

Apologies for the very delayed reply. As it happens so often, Life is what happens when you have other plans and I got busy with other and more pressing priorities, so I had to put this one the back burner for a while. I wasn't even aware that there had been anymore posts to this thread since my last post. Regardless, I'm back to working on this.

Thank you very much for your continued help and the updated EFI. I tried it and it still throws me into recovery mode. I have found an EFI folder designed for use with a MSI Z590-A Pro which seems to "work" in my system running High Sierra 10.13.6. My current hardware config is listed below for reference:

Gigabyte Z590 AORUS Master
I7 11700K
32GB
AMD RX580
Fenvi FV-T919

I'd imagine there are some tweaks that could/should be made to the EFI for my config. Overall the system works, with some limitations:

USB - All I/O panel and front panel (using a motherboard USB3 header) ports will recognize an older PNY USB 2.0 Flash Drive or a USB connected Apple Magic Keyboard and Trackpad; however, fails to recognize any USB 3.x devices when connected.

Bluetooth - Gives the appearance of working on screen; however, when I disconnect the keyboard/trackpad from the USB port, it fails to connect via Bluetooth.

I'm attaching the "MSI" EFI that I'm currently using and printouts from the Bluetooth & USB System Information. The Boot Error Log is from when attempting to boot with your EFI folder.

Thank You
Troy

P.S. for those that might say, just run a more current version of macOS, my intent is to eventually upgrade to a more current version; however, for the moment, I'm limited to High Sierra because of some apps I'm running on it.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    19.5 MB · Views: 18
  • Bluetooth.pdf
    18 KB · Views: 31
  • USB.pdf
    23 KB · Views: 32
  • OpenCore Boot Error Log.pdf
    15 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
@Troy.Blackburn

Thanks for the advice and small tips. 'Boot from Windows' is my general go-to answer I'd almost forgot we had an option for Linux too. That's one of the great things about Opencore, it is incredibly flexible.

With regards to the EFI build, I find I am still learning things every day (as I go along). I have a Z590I board also (Gigabyte Vision D) but I tend to run Monterey on it (currently testing Ventura). I have a 11900K on it and I hadn't tried High Sierra at all - the EFI I provided is based on one of my previous Z490 builds. Because it is using a RX6600 and the IGPU is also unsupported I am unable to boot anything earlier than Monterey on the Z590I. But I'm willing to give it a shot (using igfxvesa). I'll probably add it afterwards to the build page.

Troy, I hope the new EFI works for you. I apologise for overlooking the fact you were trying to boot it on High Sierra and wasting your time earlier (fyi I don't like to waste peoples time). Whenever I make an EFI for a new platform or motherboard, I always look for system solidity and compatibility first. Usually that means the build is geared towards the latest (working) versions of macOS.
Greetings Middleman,

I have an update to my post from earlier today. Bluetooth is now working fine. The only apparent "issue" at this time is the previously mentioned USB issue, whereas the USB ports will recognize a USB 2.0 Flash Drive; however, will not recognize any USB 3.x devices. If this is an issue that can not be resolved, I can live with it, though it would be helpful if I could get at least a couple of USB 3.x ports to recognize USB 3.x devices.

I've been told elsewhere that I may be able to get all the USB ports working though I would only be able to get USB 2.0 speeds out of them. Not ideal; however, if I can get at least some (if not all) or them to at least recognize USB 3.x devices, even if only working at USB 2.0 speeds, that would be workable for me.

Here's my current EFI.

Thanks Again
Troy

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    19.4 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I think that your hardware might be too new to have any support in High Sierra.
You should check that before spending more time troubleshooting your /EFI.
Greetings Pilgram,

I just thought I'd send you an update as you had previously replied to my post. The system is now currently running High Sierra 10.13.6 with the following hardware:

Gigabyte Z590 AORUS Master
i7 11700K
AMD RX580
32GB RAM
Fenvi FV T919

Everything works, with the exception that all USB ports will recognize USB 2.0 devices; however, will not recognize USB 3.x devices.

Just thought I'd let you know, in case you're interested.

Thank You
Troy

Back