Contribute
Register

560 Ti: Coloured squares and crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I did. Thank you. So far I havnt seen any freezes or color squares but that would only happen about twice a week so I don't know yet if it fixed it.

These kinds of glitches are a classic symptom of bad ram on the graphics card, most likely due to overheating for some reason. A rom patch/update is unlikely to fix such an issue, except by slowing the graphics card down. If it's still under warranty, I would look into getting the card replaced.

Making sure that dust or hair isn't clogging up the cooler wouldn't hurt and might fix the issue. If it does occur, try taking off the side panel of the computer or do something else to reduce the heat in the computer and see if that fixes the issue.

These kinds of glitches are a classic symptom of bad ram on the graphics card, most likely due to overheating for some reason. A rom patch/update is unlikely to fix such an issue, except by slowing the graphics card down. If it's still under warranty, I would look into getting the card replaced.

Making sure that dust or hair isn't clogging up the cooler wouldn't hurt and might fix the issue. If it does occur, try taking off the side panel of the computer or do something else to reduce the heat in the computer and see if that fixes the issue.

I don't think it's caused by overheating. My GPU runs at about 135°F most of the time and that's not that hot for a GPU.

Sorry but are you using the ROM or not.

No. I used the onboard Intel HD 4000 while waiting for the replacement card so I'd turned off the option to use the ROM, and then didn't turn it back on again after getting the new 560 Ti.

Well, time for an update. I received a replacement card and installed it a week ago. No crashes, no squares! :D

Although it was intermittent before, since it's been a week I think it's safe to say that it's sorted now. So it was the card after all. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I've probably jinxed it now...

We're you running lion with your old card and now mt. Lion with the replacement?

Issue happened with both 10.7.4 and 10.8 with the old card. Only tested 10.8 with the new one. See my first post for more details.

I don't think it's caused by overheating. My GPU runs at about 135°F most of the time and that's not that hot for a GPU.

The temperature of the GPU is most likely irrelevant. It's the ram chips and/or their soldering to the PCB that is most likely the issue and it's not necessarily caused by "excessive" heat. They are defective and/or poorly connected and thus aren't performing up to spec.

Have you ever gotten it right after a cold boot or only after it was in use for a while?

The temperature of the GPU is most likely irrelevant. It's the ram chips and/or their soldering to the PCB that is most likely the issue and it's not necessarily caused by "excessive" heat. They are defective and/or poorly connected and thus aren't performing up to spec.

Have you ever gotten it right after a cold boot or only after it was in use for a while?

it usually happens after the computer has been on for a few hours. It happens when its not realy doing anything like siting on the desktop or watching Netflix.

it usually happens after the computer has been on for a few hours. It happens when its not realy doing anything like siting on the desktop or watching Netflix.

You have a defective card.

If it's within warranty, you should contact the manufacturer. If it isn't you should start looking for a replacement.

No. I used the onboard Intel HD 4000 while waiting for the replacement card so I'd turned off the option to use the ROM, and then didn't turn it back on again after getting the new 560 Ti.

Hi. I have a gtx 560 with the same problems so I think I'm going to get a replacement but I have a question about replacing it.
Was your replacement 560 ti a refurbished card or was it a brand new one??
I know that a refurbished card is just as good as a new one but I just don't like getting refurbs.
Thanks for your time.

I got what appears to be a brand new one (shrinkwrapped retail box). I didn't talk to EVGA at all; I just sent it back to the place that I bought it from and they sent me a new one. I have no idea what would happen if you contacted EVGA directly (they don't have a presence in my country).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back