Contribute
Register

560 Ti: Coloured squares and crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did indeed add UseNvidiaRom=Yes in the org.chamelen.boot.plist, and I also disabled display sleep in energy settings.

I have had several crashes in the last 2 days (corrupted display, mouse cursor moves but everything else frozen) including sometime last night. I left my system on and with sleep/display sleep disabled. When I saw it this morning it was frozen & corrupt on the screensaver.

So the ROM file for me did nothing, no improvement.

I want to switch to the Intel HD4000 and let OSX ignore the 560Ti but I'm not sure how. I'm sick of going to get a glass of water or letting the dog outside only to come back to the freezes and having to do a hard poweroff. It actually seems worse on 10.8 than it did on 10.7.4

I did indeed add UseNvidiaRom=Yes in the org.chamelen.boot.plist, and I also disabled display sleep in energy settings.

I have had several crashes in the last 2 days (corrupted display, mouse cursor moves but everything else frozen) including sometime last night. I left my system on and with sleep/display sleep disabled. When I saw it this morning it was frozen & corrupt on the screensaver.

So the ROM file for me did nothing, no improvement.

I want to switch to the Intel HD4000 and let OSX ignore the 560Ti but I'm not sure how. I'm sick of going to get a glass of water or letting the dog outside only to come back to the freezes and having to do a hard poweroff. It actually seems worse on 10.8 than it did on 10.7.4

1. have u tried it on windows 7 with all drivers loaded?

2. have u installed Multibeast 5 kext for your card?

if yes to above 2 questions, think of replacing your card.

I think the Multibeast kext is to enable openCL on cards with more then 2GB of ram.

1. have u tried it on windows 7 with all drivers loaded?

if yes to above 2 questions, think of replacing your card.
1. Yep, and on Windows the card is rock-solid. Never glitches, never crashes, never anything. I have used Windows for gaming & web surfing and left it on for extended periods of time (days) and it's never had graphics corruption or freezes.

2. Multibeast 5.0.2 Nvidia OpenCL Enabler is installed... though the description specifies the 560Ti 448 - I only have the plain 560Ti.

I did some reading this evening and became suspicious that maybe it's the power management. Something I hadn't mentioned here previously is that I was running on the MacPro3,1 system definition.

When I read up about modifying AGPM.kext I saw that it doesn't even load with 3,1... so I changed to 4,1 at first and now I'm on 5,1. (CPU & GPU temperature monitors did not work in 4,1)

I have modified the AGPM.kext as per "Step Four" here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/31349-how-i-got-my-560-ti-working-quick-guide.html
I now get proper GPU power state changes (searching AGPM in Console) whereas before I only saw "[AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform", and before that I saw nothing because MacPro3,1 does not load or use AGPM.kext.

I have not had a crash so far this evening since making these changes, which is so-far-so-good, but I'll leave my system running overnight and see what tomorrow brings.

I have not had a crash so far this evening since making these changes, which is so-far-so-good, but I'll leave my system running overnight and see what tomorrow brings.
Correction... it just crashed in front of my eyes as soon as I posted my message above.

Interestingly, this time, the squares are flickering a bit and the mouse is the beachball.

Attachments

• IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    997.3 KB · Views: 510
Does anyone have a GTX 560/560 ti that has NEVER not even once crashed and had squares all over the screen?

Yes me i have a gigabyte gtx560ti had it for about 3 weeks i had one error. I was on youtube i left a video open and went out for 6 hours and when i came back there was some screen squares were the video was in the player but i just closed the internet page then it was gone. I did not need to restart I then edited my AGPM kext and its never done it since and i leave my computer on 24 hours a day. Now all i did to get card working was type this into term

sudo perl -pi -e '$c++ if s|\x8b\x87\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x06\x8b\x87\x20\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x02|\x31\xc0\xff\xc0\xff\xc0\x89\x06\x31\xc0\x89\x02\x90\x90\x90\x90|; END { unless ($c) { warn "No substitutions made\n"; $? =1 } }' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

And thats it no multibeast help Then i changed my smbios to Mac Pro 5.1 also changed my device id in the agpm kext but it did work without doing the agpm edit

Correction... it just crashed in front of my eyes as soon as I posted my message above.

Interestingly, this time, the squares are flickering a bit and the mouse is the beachball.

since ur card runs fine on windows.. then it should run fine on lion or ML both.. I have just done few things and since then i have not had any crashes..

i.e. Used extacted ROM file, made plist entry to use nvidia rom and made my monitor to never sleep.. thats all..

so, far my sleep wake are fine and no crashes so far.. but i want to give it more time..

one thing i noticed that with a fresh reboot, my card never crashed.. (perhaps) . but when my hachintosh wake from sleep then only these crashes happened.. check if this is true for your card as well..

i think u need help from some pro here from tonymac..

Yes me i have a gigabyte gtx560ti had it for about 3 weeks i had one error. I was on youtube i left a video open and went out for 6 hours and when i came back there was some screen squares were the video was in the player but i just closed the internet page then it was gone. I did not need to restart I then edited my AGPM kext and its never done it since and i leave my computer on 24 hours a day. Now all i did to get card working was type this into term

sudo perl -pi -e '$c++ if s|\x8b\x87\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x06\x8b\x87\x20\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x02|\x31\xc0\xff\xc0\xff\xc0\x89\x06\x31\xc0\x89\x02\x90\x90\x90\x90|; END { unless ($c) { warn "No substitutions made\n"; $? =1 } }' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

And thats it no multibeast help Then i changed my smbios to Mac Pro 5.1 also changed my device id in the agpm kext but it did work without doing the agpm edit

hi, could you explain a bit more what you did to get your card working properly.. thanks a lot..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back