Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon 69xx Graphics in Lion [TEST]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would chime in since I'm on Lion now using a 6950 card and 3 displays :).

What I had to do though was do the whole installation process using a different card. I used an old 8800 GT I have
1) Installed 10.6.3
2) Ran 10.6.7 combo update (10.6.8 gave kp's even using update helper)
3) Ran Lion install on Master drive
4) Then ran xmove on a 15g partition
5) booted into lion installer position and installed lion
6) ran netkas's 6970 package.
7) Switched out my card to the 6950

I'm sure some what say I'm cheating, but as long as I've tired to get it to work for like 2 weeks, I don't care in the slightest.

So I followed the iboot/Multibeast and xmove/Lion guide here on tonymac pretty much exactly besides what I mentioned.

Although, I still have a few problems, so am reaching out in case anyone has an idea:
1) When Lion first boots, the monitor (have a dvi, hmi, and mini-dp plugged in) plugged into the min-dp slight is off by a wide margin. It's like looking at an old 80s arcade game while it's booting, alot of garbled colors. My temporarily solution is just to unplug/plug the min-dp monitor back in, and it works like a charm. Am curious if anyone has any thoughts??

2) Second question is just my sound card. It isn't being recognized. I'm using the onboard audio on the gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 montherboard. I just haven't had time to research that one yet.

Thanks alot guys, vicariously feel the awesomeness I felt when the card was on all 3 screens at 1920x1080. I thought I was just retarded (and probably still am) but getting lion to work on that 8800 GT was even easier than the guide.

Update.

I managed to fix the problem with the unreadable output on my mini-DP monitor by adding "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32" to the chameleon.plist .

I still have some instability issues, though. Sometimes it will boot past the first apple screen with the spinning wheel, then go white, and stay there until I reset.

When it works it does the exact same thing but when it gets to the white screen a moveable mouse pointer appears seconds later that confirms it will boot correctly, it's just loading.

Tried all the audio kexts in the MultiBeast 4.0.2 . So far no luck with sound.

Anyone with the GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 who's gotten the sound to work please let me know!

Thanks

Hi lorewap3, did you tried out HDMI audio with your Radeon 6950?

Yeah I eventually got the audio working. I just had to wait for the 4.0.2 MultiBeast that came with the extra options

Under Kexts/Drivers, I picked what has already been suggested in the forums:

1) ACL 8XX HDA
2) AppleHDA Rollback
3) Non-DSDT HDAEnabler -> ALC889

The most important part is just getting the card exactly right.

Sapphire 6950 2GB DUAL SCREENS unflashed bios lion 10.7.1

used andy's native package, and set graphics enabler to no
still crashes iTunes, chess, etc...photoshop DOES NOT work (cs5.1) the screen is all green as someone else has posted here
dual DVI setup, very snappy, everything looks fantastic...

REVISION-- photoshop works fine, under preferences -> performance -> GPU settings-> Advanced Settings, choose BASIC instead of normal or advanced...instant cure. of course, if that doesn't work for you, you could always turn it completely off also...I haven't put it through the paces yet, this is prelim work...

one other note, after I ran andy's package my audio went out, I reran multi beast 4.02 reran ACL 8XX & APPLEHDAROLLBACK WITH SYS UTIL and all good....

cinebench results

LOGICALCORES=2
MHZ=3392.000000
PROCESSOR=Intel Core i7-2600K CPU
OPENGLVENDOR=ATI Technologies Inc.
OPENGLCARD=ATI Radeon Cayman PRO Prototype OpenGL Engine
OPENGLVERSION=2.1 ATI-7.10.8
CBTYPE=64 BIT
OSVERSION=OS X 10.7.1
CBCPU1=0.000000
CBCPUX=6.710171
CBOPENGL=47.003220
CBOPENGLQUALITY=99.307182
C4DINFO=
C4DVERSION=11.529
C4DBUILDID=CB25720demo

EDIT:
reclocked memory to 1600mhz and reran
CORES=4
LOGICALCORES=2
MHZ=3410.000000
PROCESSOR=Intel Core i7-2600K CPU
OPENGLVENDOR=ATI Technologies Inc.
OPENGLCARD=ATI Radeon Cayman PRO Prototype OpenGL Engine
OPENGLVERSION=2.1 ATI-7.10.8
CBTYPE=64 BIT
OSVERSION=OS X 10.7.1
CBCPU1=0.000000
CBCPUX=7.291686
CBOPENGL=51.829971
CBOPENGLQUALITY=99.307182
C4DINFO=
C4DVERSION=11.529
C4DBUILDID=CB25720demo

beats firepro8750 on 12core system!!!

Hi,
Yes i have the AMD XFX hd6970 runnning with netkas driver, without ATInit.kext
in lion 10.7.2

Everything is working only 1 tiny problem, every 3 1/2 second the motion hicks
when playing games/ watching videos,
even when moving the mouse,
it might be the fresrate but im unable to chance that.

Does anybody knows how to Fix that :beachball:

Greetings Peter

I would like to know who besides andy is doing work on these cards, I would be willing to alpha test, and or help out in any way possible...is the majority of this work happening over at netkas or what....
any one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back