4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For those who have missed it, here is AMD's Ryzen 7000 announcement from earlier today.
The new 7000 series is the first ever desktop 5nm CPU available for PCs and it uses the new AMD AM5 socket.

For those who have missed it, here is AMD's Ryzen 7000 announcement from earlier today.
The new 7000 series is the first ever desktop 5nm CPU available for PCs and it uses the new AMD AM5 socket.

New motherboard / New RAM (DDR5) required for these CPUs.

These hardware upgrades no longer excite me. Perhaps I am well past that time. My main Windows system is based on a X99 motherboard which is more than 6 years old. I still find it quite adequate.

And I still have some more DDR4 RAM and a hardware upgrade for me must be able to support them. I might consider getting a Z690 motherboard (before they are pulled) and a 12th generation Intel i7 and upgrade when Windows 8.1 goes out of support.

So I will pass on this one.

And will this thing be able to run the Intel build of MacOS?

New motherboard / New RAM (DDR5) required for these CPUs.

These hardware upgrades no longer excite me. Perhaps I am well past that time. My main Windows system is based on a X99 motherboard which is more than 6 years old. I still find it quite adequate.

And I still have some more DDR4 RAM and a hardware upgrade for me must be able to support them. I might consider getting a Z690 motherboard (before they are pulled) and a 12th generation Intel i7 and upgrade when Windows 8.1 goes out of support.

So I will pass on this one.

And will this thing be able to run the Intel build of MacOS?
Right. Well I totally understand how you feel as that's how I tend to use my gear and hacks too. Until it is totally worn out or too slow for said needs I pretty much use it to the max.

For your Z690, I am actually rather concerned if that is even possible. I'm sure you've heard that they (Intel) had begun to fuse off AVX-512 functionality on the newer Alder Lake chips coming out of the factory the last 7-8 months, which means potentially the newer chips cannot run macOS.

That's why I am concerned about Raptor Lake. I think if they are the same as Alder Lake with no AVX-512, the chip is as good as useless for hackintosh use.

Yes it will do (run the Intel build of macOS). Biggest difference with this new Zen 4 chip is that ironically compared to Intel it has new AVX-512 instructions added! That means it should run the likes of Adobe Photoshop much better than Zen 3 and potentially without the problems we faced earlier.

I'm waiting for the 650E motherboards to be released in October before diving in, I have a 7700X in mind.

Right. Well I totally understand how you feel as that's how I tend to use my gear and hacks too. Until it is totally worn out or too slow for said needs I pretty much use it to the max.

For your Z690, I am actually rather concerned if that is even possible. I'm sure you've heard that they (Intel) had begun to fuse off AVX-512 functionality on the newer Alder Lake chips coming out of the factory the last 7-8 months, which means potentially the newer chips cannot run macOS.

That's why I am concerned about Raptor Lake. I think if they are the same as Alder Lake with no AVX-512, the chip is as good as useless for hackintosh use.

Yes it will do (run the Intel build of macOS). Biggest difference with this new Zen 4 chip is that ironically compared to Intel it has new AVX-512 instructions added! That means it should run the likes of Adobe Photoshop much better than Zen 3 and potentially without the problems we faced earlier.

I never understood why Intel chose to kill AVX-512. Even some retro console emulators benefit from having it.

One thing about this new AMD chip is that it is as Jay says from JayzTwoCents 'AMD is back on top - and the keynote is proof as to why'. You are looking at basically the most advanced chip that is currently out there with all of the latest technologies - Zen 4, 5nm, AM5 socket, PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 compatibility. One thing that Lisa Su didn't mention is that the new chip uses chiplets in its design (according to Steve Burke from GamersNexus) whereas Intel still uses a monolithic design. Intel for sure has a tough road ahead if it wants to catch up to AMD.

One thing about this new AMD chip is that it is as Jay says from JayzTwoCents 'AMD is back on top - and the keynote is proof as to why'. You are looking at basically the most advanced chip that is currently out there with all of the latest technologies - Zen 4, 5nm, AM5 socket, PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 compatibility. One thing that Lisa Su didn't mention is that the new chip uses chiplets in its design (according to Steve Burke from GamersNexus) whereas Intel still uses a monolithic design. Intel for sure has a tough road ahead if it wants to catch up to AMD.

Even though it is unlikely I'd get one, I'm very interested to see what the next gen AMD APUs will bring. Nothing in Intel's roadmap excites me.

Even though it is unlikely I'd get one, I'm very interested to see what the next gen AMD APUs will bring. Nothing in Intel's roadmap excites me.
I'm not surprised. They don't excite me either!

If I do get a Z690 with a 12th generation i7 it will be to run Windows only, not MacOS. I shall continue to run MacOS (Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina only at this time, maybe Big Sur later) using my 9th and 8th generation Intel systems (the first and second systems in my signature).

But yes, I have heard about that. It will be amusing to see whether these newer Intel CPUs really can or cannot run MacOS Intel. Have anybody here gotten a recent Alder Lake CPU (bought in the last 2 months) and see if it can run MacOS, for that matter? I wonder.

Is AVX-512 required to run MacOS? I don't think the earlier Ryzen CPUs have them. But they were able to run MacOS.

If I do get a Z690 with a 12th generation i7 it will be to run Windows only, not MacOS. I shall continue to run MacOS (Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina only at this time, maybe Big Sur later) using my 9th and 8th generation Intel systems (the first and second systems in my signature).

But yes, I have heard about that. It will be amusing to see whether these newer Intel CPUs really can or cannot run MacOS Intel. Have anybody here gotten a recent Alder Lake CPU (bought in the last 2 months) and see if it can run MacOS, for that matter? I wonder.

Is AVX-512 required to run MacOS? I don't think the earlier Ryzen CPUs have them. But they were able to run MacOS.
Right. Windows shouldn't be a problem, only macOS. In fact you should be able to run Big Sur and Monterey with your current systems no problem.

Yes I am aware of the previous Ryzen chips not needing it but I think it is required for Alder Lake. From what I remember, we had to have AVX-512 enabled in the BIOS before, otherwise macOS wouldn't boot. I believe it may be down to how the newer chips are recognised by the system (on an Intel setup). AVX-512 also affects Adobe applications as that is the other main tool they use in the app for processing aside from the single core processor afaik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back