Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I want to move my OSx86 over to an ssd from my 1tb seagate barracuda. I have my windows 7 boot off a 128gb crucial m4 and haven't had any problems with it, but I am unaware if there are any compatibility issues pertaining to solid state drives and OSx86. Any information would be more than welcome. I am looking in the range of 60gb to 256gb with sata revision III and close to 500mb/s sequential read and write. Happy new year everyone.

Hi.
I have OSX Lion 10.7.2 on a HDD1: Corsair Force 3 SSD 120Gb.
The drive performs quite well but I needed to patch the kext to get TRIM work. TRIM enabler is now part of MultiBeast.

Speed
RED:560MB
WRITE:320MB

Hope it helps.

I've used the following on Intel macs using Lion...

>Multiples SandForce based drives (SF-1200 and SF-2200)
>Marvell based drives (Intel and Micron)
>Intel based drive (Intel 320 Series)
>Samsung 720 Series drives

I have not tried the new Samsung 830 series or the new Indilinx drives from OCZ on a Mac. They run great under Windows :lolno:

These all work fine. However, if you are running without TRIM enabled, the SF drives seem to be the best at self maintenance to mitigate performance reduction over time.

xedios2002 said:
Hi.
The drive performs quite well but I needed to patch the kext to get TRIM work. TRIM enabler is now part of MultiBeast.

Speed

Hope it helps.

Excuse my ignorance but what is TRIM and how important is it for SSD in OS Lion?

I have an OWC in my MBP and I intend to pick up a pair for my CustoMac Pro as well.

No TRIM enabling required.

Running a crucial m4 without any hiccups or freezes since 2 weeks now. No TRIM required as it has built-in garbage collector. Booting to OS X desktop in less than 10 seconds on my system.

Will be adding a samsung 830 ssd in a week or so.

Walgus said:
Running a crucial m4 without any hiccups or freezes since 2 weeks now. No TRIM required as it has built-in garbage collector. Booting to OS X desktop in less than 10 seconds on my system.
Yes, this is the Marvell controller. I would enable TRIM to preserve the best performance. Without TRIM, performanw WILL suffer over time. Garbage collection can only consolidate dirty blocks and eventually you will run out - especially with disk journaling enabled. This causes a crapload of writes that are essentilly never used.

coco0045 said:
xedios2002 said:
Hi.

Speed

Hope it helps.

Excuse my ignorance but what is TRIM and how important is it for SSD in OS Lion?

Depend of SSD in use, TRIM is used to maximize the write speed. In my case Without TRIM write speed is around 200MB with TRIM 320MB +/- 20MB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

OSX Lion needs a patch for non apple branded SSD to use trim. Now is included in MultiBeast.

i have done a ton of reading on mac compatible ssd drives before i bought my M4 crucial. In all of my research the Crucial M4 and the samsung 830 seem to have the least amount of problems in mac users. Keep in mind this is just my research, i am sure that ocz and corsair drives are fine but I have seem more reports of those drive not working as well with macs. I have two m4 drives in raid on my mac mini and they have never had a problem and i have been running them for about 8 months. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back