Contribute
Register

dual boot os x el capitan on a pc already running windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 series boards were AMI BIOS (legacy), but could be upgraded to UEFI. Unfortunately it was not a very good implementation of UEFI. 7 series boards have UEFI and you can set your boot mode in the BIOS/UEFI to Legacy Only, UEFI and Legacy and UEFI only. 8 and 9 series boards are UEFI, but with the CSM enabled you can boot legacy mode. 170/150 series boards are UEFI and no sense in trying to install Legacy mode and no need for it..

If installing Yosemite or earlier you can use Legacy mode and Chimera or Clover as boot loader.
For El Capitan or later you can use Clover only and install it Legacy or UEFI depending on your hardware.

Okay, I have a 170 series board and going to use El Capitan.... so, I'll use UEFI.

Thank you

I have discovered two issues with my installation of El Capitan.

1. No audio.... I am trying to use the on board audio and I get no sound. My MB is GA77X-UD5H Rev 1.1
How can i get the audio driver installed at this time?

2. On my Boot selection screen there are 2 options to load El Capitan (HFS Icons). I would like to remove the one on the left, of the two that are there. How can I do that?

upload_2016-8-27_15-9-55.png

Do you have 2 entries in your UEFI/0BIOS? Try deleting them and rebooting.

I have discovered two issues with my installation of El Capitan.

1. No audio.... I am trying to use the on board audio and I get no sound. My MB is GA77X-UD5H Rev 1.1
How can i get the audio driver installed at this time?

2. On my Boot selection screen there are 2 options to load El Capitan (HFS Icons). I would like to remove the one on the left, of the two that are there. How can I do that?

View attachment 208428
you can use clover configurator to hide partitions

I messed up the installation I have for El Capitan and had to reinstall it and did so successfully. However, I had numerous files and programs that I had installed and now need to get them back.

I had used Acronis to back the files up and need to "restore" the complete backup copy I had made. Per the instructions from Acronis I need to create a "Boot Media Disk" from their site that will allow me to restore my backup. Can I do this with the El Capitan setup that is installed without messing up the install? Here are their instructions...

Attachments

• Acronis Recovery.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I messed up the installation I have for El Capitan and had to reinstall it and did so successfully. However, I had numerous files and programs that I had installed and now need to get them back.

I had used Acronis to back the files up and need to "restore" the complete backup copy I had made. Per the instructions from Acronis I need to create a "Boot Media Disk" from their site that will allow me to restore my backup. Can I do this with the El Capitan setup that is installed without messing up the install? Here are their instructions...
i have never used acronis, i use either time backup or carbon copy cloner

by the instructions, it looks look it will delete what you have and restore everything back as it was? you will also have to create a usb recovery and then boot from that usb disk.

Thanks.... I'm afraid if I do that I will mess up my El Capitan install.

Thanks.... I'm afraid if I do that I will mess up my El Capitan install.
more than likely! :)

i assume you can't open the image file in your mac and drag the bits you need from it?

Only some of it.... Oh well, could be worse.

Now I have to figure out how to correct No Sound.... I read some of the posts on correcting but don't understand actually doing it.

Only some of it.... Oh well, could be worse.

Now I have to figure out how to correct No Sound.... I read some of the posts on correcting but don't understand actually doing it.
got your sound working yet? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back