Contribute
Register

Final Cut Pro X FCPX Graphic Card performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done a clean install on a new SSD. I installed only FCPX to do the tests .. Amazing, same results. This time there were no file cache pre-rendered ..
I tried to change from SMBIOS MacPro5,1 to MacPro3,1, and change the position of the Library and the cache of FCPX but continues to run the test in 19 to 20 seconds.

Renderings that use the CPU are slow but everything that passes by the GPU (within FCPX) is extremely fast. This is absurd, if I'd known that before I would not have thrown the money to buy 3 gpu, motherboards powerful etc ..

mystery ..:rolleyes:

Hey guys, just ordered "Sapphire Radeon VAPOR-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP TRI-X OC PCI-Express Graphics Card with Boost (UEFI) 11221-12-40G" for FCPX. I would like to get a second one later if it's going to make a big difference?

System:

Asus z97-Pro
16GB RAM
i7 4770
Samsung 840 SSD.

Is it worth getting a second one a bit down the road? If it's only a few frames per second difference then definitely not worth it. I also have a 750watt Corsair PSU, do I need to update the PSU?

I'm looking forward to build an Hackintosh.

What do you Guy think about this Setup for 4k Video Editing in Final Cut Pro?

Setup List

(You can change the language at the top right corner)

Greets Noah

I'm looking forward to build an Hackintosh.

What do you Guy think about this Setup for 4k Video Editing in Final Cut Pro?

Setup List

(You can change the language at the top right corner)

Greets Noah

You have a nVidia graphics card. If you are serious about FCP X, then you will need an AMD card. If you are tinkering with FCP X then the nVidia is OK. The rest of the stuff looks OK, I'd check the the supplier that the memory is guaranteed to work with that motherboard.

Rob

I think i have a Gigabyte! Don't i?

I'll check the compatibility of the Memory..

I think i have a Gigabyte! Don't i?

I'll check the compatibility of the Memory..

You have a nVidia graphics card made by Gigabyte. Gigabyte either buy a reference design and badge it as their own, or they build their own card based on the nVidia specs and hardware. Either way nVidia do all the design work and Gigabyte just do the manufacturing or maybe even just the box work.

If you want to do serious FCP X work, then an AMD based system is normally better than an nVidia. This is not to say that nVidia makes poor GPU's, far from it, just that FCP X is optimised for AMD cards.

You need to read these forums and work out what is best for you.

Rob

Would a MSI R9 380 Gaming (4GB) perform better?
Or a 280X?

Would a MSI R9 380 Gaming (4GB) perform better?
Or a 280X?
No idea on a R9 280. Search this forum.

A 280X works well, I have two of them for FCPX work. The Sapphire 280X Vapour X work out of the box.

Whether they perform better depends on what you are doing. If you are using FCP X for 10 mins of work a week, anything will do, if you are doing 40 hours a week than a 280X might well be the best things. However only you can judge what your workload, workflow, budget and working practises are. ion you play 30 hours of games and do 10 hours of work, an nVidia might well be better.

You need to work it out based on what you want to do.

Rob

But you think even one 280X would perform better than the 960 in fcpx?

But you think even one 280X would perform better than the 960 in fcpx?
Since I have no idea what you are doing in FCP X, what effects you are using, how long your video is, how many files you are importing, how can I answer that? The 960 will work, but for doing 10 secs of video, the difference between the 960 and the 280X will be negligible.

The more you use FCP X, it is likely that that 280X will be better utilised. Benchmarks for rendering show the 280X to be far faster, but that might be a tiny part of what you do.

I would expect the 280X to be significantly better all round for FCPX but you need to put the time in and work out what you want to use the Hack for.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back