Not open for further replies.
I'm struggling super hard. Here is my system:
i7 950
GA-X58A-UD3r
850 EVO 500gb SSD
Gigabyte Windforce R9 280x Rev 2
10.10.5 with Chimera
Booting from EFI partition

So, due to my old setup, clover is giving me severe issues (wont get past the b1f: init5).

I upgraded to the 280x and everything seems to be working fine until I get into FCPX (which is the reason I bought the card). Once I load a project (any project), during loading, it crashes every time! I can run Luxmark (just the default test) and get an average score of 12,545 but FCPX just isn't working. I've pretty much gone through every piece of info I could find regarding clover on the x58 platform as well as all the threads for the 280x.

I'm really in a bind because I'm under a very strict timeline for a project (I know I shouldn't have jumped in head first but from what I read, this card is supposed to work OOB and has been working pretty well aside from the FCPX crash. I hope someone can point me in the right direction as this is getting to be very frustrating.

Let me know if you need more info.

What version of FCPX and what do the console logs say?

Not all the 280X cards work out the box, the Sapphire ones do, the XFX appear to have problems, the Asus one seems OK. Sorry but you can't generalise.

I wonder if there is an issue with that specific CPU on FCPX?

You need to provide more information.

Rob

I've been having consistent opencl_runtime errors with my Ref EVGA GTX 980. Usualyl they're triggered with the RED Plugin, and happen when rendering out any RED footage. It will work, sometimes, but it can be very unstable. If I try to apply FilmConvert to the RED footage, then it crashes within seconds. Usually in the Console it says that the issue was with 'GPU failing to send frame buffer command.'

I went as far as to Install El Capitan to see if the new drivers would fix my issue, but it's a no go. Same problems in 10.11.3 with the latest drivers. I'll keep this partition like this for testing, and to see if it improves next update, or not. I can't recommend the 980 for FCPX use, if you're going to be using RED raw footage. Have yet to find any relief, I even ended up buying a 500 GB SSD to see if my cache was the problem.

It's working OK working with ProRes not causing problems, and I can render the final in Resolve and not FCPX. I don't think I'll replace the 980 with an AMD card yet, I hate to give up the CUDA performance, and I might switch to Premiere, for easier collaboration, at some point as well. However, if/when the newest Mac Pro comes out, around the time the AMD Polaris GPUs come out, hopefully there'll be an AMD card to move on to (that will drive my 10-bit monitor!)

Running 10.11.4 with system ID iMac 15,1

i7 4790k overclocked to 4.7GHz
Z97x-UD3H
Radeon R9 280x
16GB RAM (Crucial Ballistix Tactical)
Crucial 500GB SSD + 2TB mechanical drive

BruceX results = 15.48 secs

Looks like the Radeon cards are still massively outperforming the nVidia cards, which is consistent with the two posts above mine.

I have an i7 4790S (stock 3.2 GHz), Asus H97 ProM 4, 16 GB 1600 MHz, Samsung 840, and an EVGA GTX 970 SCX 2.0. BruceX = 23s. The Radeon R9 280 above got 15.5s and the 960 SC two above got 26s.

In terms of Windows gaming performance, my card should be about 154% as fast as the Radeon 280x.

Running Final Cut Pro Trial 10.2.3, Mac OS 10.11.4 and the nVidia 346.03.06f01 (installed today).

Hi guys!
Thanks for this post.
I made the test with my CustoMacPro Corei7 3930k 3.8 Ghz - 6 cores 12 threads 32G Ram Samsung SSD 256G Nvidia 650 TI MB Gigabyte x79 UP5: 55 Secs. :)

I'm struggling super hard. Here is my system:
i7 950
I'm really in a bind becaus

Let me know if you need more info.

in case you never solved it, i'm 99% sure this will be to do with SMBIOS. I had the same issues heaps of times, finally just set it to mac pro 3,1 and it all went away.

GA-Z170X-UD5 TH (MacPro 3,1 SMBIOS)
i7 6700K
64 GB RAM
Samsung 950 NVMe M.2
EVGA GT 740

BruceX time: 42 seconds.

Asus Z170-K

i7 6700K running 4.5ghz overclock
16gb 3000MHZ RAM
Samsung 840
Asus Strix GTX 970

BruceX time: 20 seconds flat