Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> FireWire Audio Interface MacOS 13 (Maybe work on real Intel and Silicon mac)

Motherboard
Asus Rampage Maximus VIII Hero Z170
CPU
i7-6700K OC @ 4.6 Ghz 1.42v
Graphics
RX Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I just get a Saffire PRO 24 DSP and she’s perfectly work on windows 10

I have managed to get it work in Spotify but when I launch Logic Pro X the sound cut off and never work until a restart even with another audio source (chrome, Tidal, Apple Music, Spotify)

I try many things to get audio output and it work until I open Logic Pro X

I reinstall driver 2 time, try different setting with Saffire Mix Control v3.9 (buffer size etc…) and midi app but nothing happened

Locked state is ok FireWire LED is on

My rig :

Asus Rampage Hero VIII
Intel Core i7 6700k
AMD RX Vega 56
24gb ram
1tb Nvme WD storage
PCI adapter with TI chipset for FireWire
OpenCore bootloader (don’t remember the exact version I will update later)
MacOS 12.1

Update :

This is apparently a known issue with FireWire audio interfaces in general.

It is absolutely necessary that the bios parameter CSM is disabled, VT-D enabled and select "IOMapperDisable=False" in Config.plist of OpenCore

it solved my problem instantly even under MacOS Ventura 13.0

Update 2 :

I have news for real Mac Silicon and Intel support!

Apparently it is a missing kext since MacOS Ventura
(AppleFWAudio.kext) so it is also possible to put it back!

Here is the post I found : https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/721151?answerId=742212022#742212022

Last edited:
Hi!
I have the same exact Problem with Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on MacOS 12.5 Monterey.
Audio Output works with Firefox, Spotify etc. and stops working as soon as I start Logic Pro X, and does not come back. In Logic Pro receives Midi and Audio from the Interface, also Mix control says it is connected, but no Audio output. A restart or restart with NVRAM reset sometimes brings audio back, but as soon as I start Logic (10.5.1 or 10.7.) Audio output stops working. Tried it all.

Also that: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...do-I-Delete-my-Audio-Preferences-on-Mac-OS-X-

resolves the issue only until I start Logic.

Last edited:
Hi!
I have the same exact Problem with Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on MacOS 12.5 Monterey.
Audio Output works with Firefox, Spotify etc. and stops working as soon as I start Logic Pro X, and does not come back. In Logic Pro receives Midi and Audio from the Interface, also Mix control says it is connected, but no Audio output. A restart or restart with NVRAM reset sometimes brings audio back, but as soon as I start Logic (10.5.1 or 10.7.) Audio output stops working. Tried it all.

Also that: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...do-I-Delete-my-Audio-Preferences-on-Mac-OS-X-

resolves the issue only until I start Logic.

Hi !

Sorry, I didn't update the post, but I managed to fix the problem.

I found the solution on another forum.

It is absolutely necessary that the bios parameter CSM is disabled, VT-D enabled and select "IOMapperDisable=False" in Config.plist of OpenCore

Thank you! Will try this when back in the Studio!

No success!
Bios and oc config are as you wrote.

Did you update from another OS or a clean install?
What OC Version are you running?

Are you running with firewire pcie or over thunderbolt?

Last edited:
I somehow got my focusrite saffire pro 40 firewire interface working on monterey 12.5 today with very strange behaviour!
Problem was: audio interface was recognised by macos but audio output did not work...
audio output worked afther the first startup with browser and Spotify but as soon as I started logic pro, audio output stopped working and was gone forever! All inputs including midi working.
Interface completely recognised by its software.

Today:
I did a clean install of monterey macos 12.5
Reseted bios settings to optimal settings.
Set bios according to post #1
Set primary gpu to PCI-E
Enabled igpu
This resulted in fw interface working again normally, with output. But all usb ports broken, only pxsx controller working, no BT etc.

After that I went into bios again, set primary gpu to auto and igpu disabled.
-> same issue with the interface as before.

Again into bios.
Primary gpu to PCI-E
Igpu to enabled again.
All is working normal now. USB, BT, fw interface.

Really strange behaviour, but I am happy I solved it!

How is the fw audio output problem connected to iGPU?
I don't know
Solved it somehow!

I just get a Saffire PRO 24 DSP and she’s perfectly work on windows 10
I found the solution on another forum.
This is apparently a known issue with FireWire audio interfaces in general.
Hello, OneDriftMan95!

Did I get you correctly that you succeeded in running Saffire PRO 24 DSP under MacOS ventura 13?

If so, that's so great news!

I'm using Saffire PRO 24, macbook pro 2020, and still sitting on MacOSX Catalina 10.15 since I thoutght Saffire 24 PRO & and their mixer panel Saffire Mix Control 3.9 would not work on later MacOS. So glad it's not true!!

Broooooo you just resurrected my Saffire from the dead. Can't thank you enough.

Saffire 24 Pro DSP now fully working under Ventura 13.1. I could get into Mix Control before to change settings and link with other interfaces, but no Firewire audio driver. Firewire audio is now working perfectly.

Hello guys,

just arrived in the forum looking for a thread like this.
I own a brand new Macbook Air M2 (Ventura 13.0). I was aware that making my Saffire Pro24 working with this would be complicated, however it was worth a try.

I purchased all the adaptors needed to go from firewire to thunderbolt 3 but both the System Audio Preferences as well as Logic do not see the sound gear.

By the way looking at the general info the Saffire is seen by the system!

I am a bit noob, how can I do that "bios parameter" stuff? From terminal?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-11 alle 19.43.05.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-11 alle 19.43.05.png
    465 KB · Views: 167
  • Screenshot 2023-01-11 alle 19.43.13.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-11 alle 19.43.13.png
    548.9 KB · Views: 185
Hello guys,

just arrived in the forum looking for a thread like this.
I own a brand new Macbook Air M2 (Ventura 13.0). I was aware that making my Saffire Pro24 working with this would be complicated, however it was worth a try.

I purchased all the adaptors needed to go from firewire to thunderbolt 3 but both the System Audio Preferences as well as Logic do not see the sound gear.

By the way looking at the general info the Saffire is seen by the system!

I am a bit noob, how can I do that "bios parameter" stuff? From terminal?

Thanks!
Did you install Saffire Mix Control 3.9 and approve the request during the install about non-signed drivers from System Preferences > Security & Privacy?

I installed mix control 3.9 for my saffire pro 24 dsp today on Catalina 10.5.7 and logic 10.6.3, no prompt about signed drivers. All working fine.
But when I tried it on my Big Sur machine I get no sound, got the mix control 3.9 installed and connected to the saffire pro 24 ok, all looks good but there is no sound. My usb sound card works fine.
BIOS is set to UEFI mode only and VT-D is on, I'm on clover so no idea what IOMapperDisable=False

Back