Contribute
Register

Gigabyte's Thunderbolt Motherboards Live - Available Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z77X-UP5 TH - Any joy with getting a discrete card signal via TB? Still would like to use my Apple Thunderbolt screen with this motherboard without the HD4000, surly the HD4000 would be a downgrade from current MacMini with AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB?

Thanks

Carl.

I don't believe this is ever going to be possible, at least not natively outputting discrete graphics through the TB ports. The onboard graphics are wired directly into the Cactus Ridge thunderbolt controller. The discrete cards are only connected indirectly through the PCIE bus. I think our best chance is that someone comes up with a software solution like Lucid on the Windows side that uses the discrete graphics to render but then "blits" the discrete memory onto the onboard memory.

What would that be for? I think Tonymacx86 might be able to help you out with the first one, at least with a device connected, but do you mind telling us what you'er working on?

I think you know very well what I am looking for, if not, I am collecting info on how thunderbolt is setup on both pc/mac and what is required to get apple drivers to work on hack.
So far I got enough info from pc side, but from apple side nobody offered to help so I wont bother with this until, maybe, I will get what I need from cactus ridge equipped macs.
I will add intel complete disrespect for linux people and for not releasing at least a white paper and also idiotic qualification from pc vendors part.

I think you know very well what I am looking for, if not, I am collecting info on how thunderbolt is setup on both pc/mac and what is required to get apple drivers to work on hack.
So far I got enough info from pc side, but from apple side nobody offered to help so I wont bother with this until, maybe, I will get what I need from cactus ridge equipped macs.
I will add intel complete disrespect for linux people and for not releasing at least a white paper and also idiotic qualification from pc vendors part.

It's a closed standard, so what do you expect? Intel is so damn secretive about Thunderbolt they won't even let third parties produce Thunderbolt controllers and they've bullied "partners" on the Windows side, as Thunderbolt is a "peerless" interface, so instead of providing drivers, the "partners" have had to come up with solutions. On top of that, Intel is also in charge of the certification process which has prevent some innovative solutions to arrive in the market, some which would've been ideal for using a discrete graphics card combined with Thunderbolt. Intel is being Intel and Thunderbolt might not end up being as long lived as the company is hoping for. Personally, I'll stick with USB 3.0.

@Alfa147x

I've followed your guide down the the T (I even matched your settings in the bios for discrete graphics), and I am still unable to get the sleep function to work 100% properly. The only differences between your system and mine is my graphics card (GV-R687OC-1GD) and processor (i5-3570K). I even removed all additional peripherals (extra hard drives, SSD's, DVD Drive, etc...) and did a clean install on a traditional 7200RPM hard drive. I still have the exact symptom, after the computer wakes the usb keyboard and mouse are unresponsive; sometimes until i unplug and re-plugin the usb peripherals and sometimes after 90 seconds roughly.

At the end of the day, if the sleep doesn't work I don't care, but it would be a nice feature to have. Any thoughts/input would be great.

Can you please telling us wich motherboard of this 3 is the more reliable with i7 3770K ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back