Graphics
MSI TF GTX 780
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Pretty sure my GTX 780 just busted. Loud pop noise, screen went black, fans to 100%. Can't get an image on the monitor.

I'm wondering what I can upgrade to with the following stats.

CPU: i7 2600k
MOBO: Gigabyte Z68x UD4 B3

I haven't built a hack for a long time, but I vaguely recall there was a ceiling of sorts with my equipment in terms of getting Nvidia GPU to work.

Should I buy a cheap 780 or 780 ti? Can I use any of the 900 series?

I do want to create a new build soon, but don't have the money. Right now I just need to replace the GPU.

Thanks.

SOLVED: Replaced the GPU and....fixed. My 780 straight died out of nowhere. Too bad. While it's super expensive to replace, at least that was the only issue.

Last edited:
On Mavericks the GTX 780 is as high as you can go. The GTX 780 Ti requires the additional nvidia driver support that is in Yosemite, El Capitan or Sierra. The 900 series also require Yosemite and the additional nvidia drivers. The latest 10 series cards require Sierra 10.12.4 and the nvidia drivers as a minimum.

Approximate GPU performance:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-2017-hierarchy-chart-by-toms-hardware.81325/

On Mavericks the GTX 780 is as high as you can go. The GTX 780 Ti requires the additional nvidia driver support that is in Yosemite, El Capitan or Sierra. The 900 series also require Yosemite and the additional nvidia drivers. The latest 10 series cards require Sierra 10.12.4 and the nvidia drivers as a minimum.

Approximate GPU performance:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-2017-hierarchy-chart-by-toms-hardware.81325/

Thanks, Adrian B.

With my build, am I able to go to Yosemite, El Cap, or Sierra?

ADDITIONAL QUESTION: I do not have an internal GPU. The computer seems to post but not boot. Would this lead one to believe there is another issue at hand here? eg CPU, RAM, etc?
When it crashed earlier only the video went out, I could still hear my music and control playback.

Because the hack is technically a PC, if I give up on the Mac OS side, can I slot in any GPU i want, up to a 900 or 1000 series, if I am just going to use Windows?

Last edited:
Thanks, Adrian B.

ADDITIONAL QUESTION: I do not have an internal GPU. The computer seems to post but not boot. Would this lead one to believe there is another issue at hand here? eg CPU, RAM, etc?
When it crashed earlier only the video went out, I could still hear my music and control playback.

Because the hack is technically a PC, if I give up on the Mac OS side, can I slot in any GPU i want, up to a 900 or 1000 series, if I am just going to use Windows?

Yes. Your Gigabyte Z68 UD4 B3 build will work fine with Mavericks, Yosemite, El Cap and Sierra. Although the only thing you will have issues with is USB 3.0 Support.

Thanks, Adrian B.

Yes, you can run newer versions of OS X/macOS on this hardware, but this board has no video out (DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort) IO on the rear panel like many boards of its time. You must use a compatible GPU to run any operating system on this board:
http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z68X-UD4-B3-rev-10#ov

When it crashed earlier only the video went out, I could still hear my music and control playback.[/QUOTE]

You will need to add a GPU and perhaps try booting windows. Worth clearing the CMOS and check that the 3 volt CR2032 battery on the board is working - it may need replaced to boot. Check and double check all the simple stuff including power supply connections to the board and perhaps try a different PSU to isolate possible issues with that.

Of course you can, but borrow a GPU from someone to test before spending money on a new card.

Yes. Your Gigabyte Z68 UD4 B3 build will work fine with Mavericks, Yosemite, El Cap and Sierra. Although the only thing you will have issues with is USB 3.0 Support.

Ok thanks. Where would I start with that, I havent built a hack in almost 5 years. With multibeast and chameleon?

Edit: Just saw the installation guide. I will start there.

Yes, you can run newer versions of OS X/macOS on this hardware, but this board has no video out (DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort) IO on the rear panel like many boards of its time. You must use a compatible GPU to run any operating system on this board:
http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z68X-UD4-B3-rev-10#ov

You will need to add a GPU and perhaps try booting windows. Worth clearing the CMOS and check that the 3 volt CR2032 battery on the board is working - it may need replaced to boot. Check and double check all the simple stuff including power supply connections to the board and perhaps try a different PSU to isolate possible issues with that.

Of course you can, but borrow a GPU from someone to test before spending money on a new card.

Great.

I've definitely done all the simple stuff. Talking to a friend about borrowing a GPU.

Thanks for the help!

Ok thanks. Where would I start with that, I havent built a hack in almost 5 years. With multibeast and chameleon?

Edit: Just saw the installation guide. I will start there.

Chameleon has been replaced with Clover recommend following this guide. 10.12 Installation

Getting stuck on "BIOS ID CHECK ERROR" when trying to update Bios from F10 to UEFI. Any suggestions?

You'd be better staying on Legacy BIOS. UEFI on Series 6 is buggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back