Contribute
Register

iTunes Protected Video Black Screen Solution (HDCP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said in my previous post, all iTunes Movie trailers work in both selections of HD and SD. Although it has become apparent (as other posters have mentioned) that playback appear to be SD not HD despite the selections and despite being set as 1080p in Preferences)

Reason for posting though is I made a 99p Rental purchase on iTunes over the weekend and it will not play :banghead:

iTunes_Movie_Purchase_Wont_Play.jpg

As I said in my previous post, all iTunes Movie trailers work in both selections of HD and SD. Although it has become apparent (as other posters have mentioned) that playback appear to be SD not HD despite the selections and despite being set as 1080p in Preferences)

Reason for posting though is I made a 99p Rental purchase on iTunes over the weekend and it will not play :banghead:

View attachment 204535

Do you have the boot flag under boot args? If so its not needed.

Do you have the boot flag under boot args? If so its not needed.

not sure what you mean, this is my boot args section ;

<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>dart=0 -xcpm kext-dev-mode=1</string>
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>El Capitan SSD</string>
<key>Secure</key>
<false/>
<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>3</integer>
<key>XMPDetection</key>
<false/>
</dict>

not sure what you mean, this is my boot args section

<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>dart=0 -xcpm kext-dev-mode=1</string>
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>El Capitan SSD</string>
<key>Secure</key>
<false/>
<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>3</integer>
<key>XMPDetection</key>
<false/>
</dict>

The guide on github shows a kernel flag. Which I tried but didn't work so I removed it and cleared the files as per this guide. Rebooted then booted with no cache and seem to work. Where did you install the kext to?

Make sure you boot without cache.

I have removed kext from Clover, installed in L/E and then rebooted and trailers play fine like before.
The rental from the weekend expired so I purchased another 99p rental (my last one) but got the same message as my #114 post

not sure what you mean to boot without cache, I rarely tinker with my Hackintosh anymore, I've forgotten most things ?

Edit: I found the boot Mac OS without Caches option in the Clover menu but it did not solve the above issue.
I also tried the Terminal
sudo touch /Library/Extensions
and still no difference so I've removed kext from /Library/Extensions and put kext back into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11

Last edited:
I'm wondering if it's possible that there are two different issues at work here. In my case, I'm on Sandy Bridge and have, in the past, been able to view copy protected content on my machine. After the upgrade to El Capitan (and the related iTunes upgrades), protected content stopped working for me. My mother-in-law is using a Haswell machine that I built for her and iTunes just stops playback at the black screen, no advancement of time or progress bar, no obvious error message either in the console or in iTunes itself.

However, my machine throws an actual dialog box complaining that my monitor is not HDCP compliant. Since my Viewsonic monitor isn't that old, I started digging and holy carp, iTunes is right! The Viewsonic monitor I'm using isn't HDCP compliant. I'm guessing that my Sandy Bridge machine is still able to play protected content, but that the HDCP checks built into iTunes / El Capitan have become more refined, and now are detecting my non-compliant hardware.

Can the people who are on Ivy Bridge or later machines verify that their monitors are, in fact, HDCP compliant? Is it possible that we have overcome the issue that's killing playback on ALL newer custom-built machines, only to run headlong into a legitimate HDCP check on the part of the OS?

I have removed kext from Clover, installed in L/E and then rebooted and trailers play fine like before.
The rental from the weekend expired so I purchased another 99p rental (my last one) but got the same message as my #114 post

not sure what you mean to boot without cache, I rarely tinker with my Hackintosh anymore, I've forgotten most things ?

Edit: I found the boot Mac OS without Caches option in the Clover menu but it did not solve the above issue.
I also tried the Terminal
sudo touch /Library/Extensions
and still no difference so I've removed kext from /Library/Extensions and put kext back into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11

Urmm strange. I had something strange I couldn't watch a tv show if it wasn't downloaded but if I download a TV show or a movie I can watch it.

I'm wondering if it's possible that there are two different issues at work here. In my case, I'm on Sandy Bridge and have, in the past, been able to view copy protected content on my machine. After the upgrade to El Capitan (and the related iTunes upgrades), protected content stopped working for me. My mother-in-law is using a Haswell machine that I built for her and iTunes just stops playback at the black screen, no advancement of time or progress bar, no obvious error message either in the console or in iTunes itself.

However, my machine throws an actual dialog box complaining that my monitor is not HDCP compliant. Since my Viewsonic monitor isn't that old, I started digging and holy carp, iTunes is right! The Viewsonic monitor I'm using isn't HDCP compliant. I'm guessing that my Sandy Bridge machine is still able to play protected content, but that the HDCP checks built into iTunes / El Capitan have become more refined, and now are detecting my non-compliant hardware.

Can the people who are on Ivy Bridge or later machines verify that their monitors are, in fact, HDCP compliant? Is it possible that we have overcome the issue that's killing playback on ALL newer custom-built machines, only to run headlong into a legitimate HDCP check on the part of the OS?

Try a TV via HDMI see if that helps. I'm using a ivy bridge as my main desktop I'm using 3 ASUS VE248H which are HDCP all 3 monitors are connected via HDMI from my 760. 4th monitor which is connected via DisplayPort is my 48inch 4K ready TV I can play iTunes content with either of the monitors or the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back