Contribute
Register

iTunes Protected Video Black Screen Solution (HDCP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
works!
placed kext in clover .../10/11 folder, ran the applicable terminal commands (for Nvidia), and rebooted to a working iTunes.

big thanks to the OP and the Kext creators

EL Cap 11.6 / Clover 3650 / GTX 780 / iTunes 12.4.3.1

I had an interesting experience with this when applying the fix to my mother-in-law's machine. For reference, her machine is a Gigabyte Z97 board with a Haswell i7 (integrated HD 4600 graphics) with a discrete GPU (GTX 740) in addition. To the best of my knowledge the GTX740 is *not* a Maxwell card.

Regardless of which script I used (Intel or Nvidia), I got the same result: purchased video would play in SD (previously it would not). Protected HD video would hard-lock the system, requiring a forced power-down. "Extras" for purchased content didn't play at all (just sat, black screen, counter not advancing, as video used to do).

When I unchecked "Inject Intel" and used the Nvidia script, iTunes would now play back protected video in both SD and HD flawlessly. No freezes. The "Extra" content for purchased media still refuses to play at all.

In the FAQ for this fix, he mentions there being issues with 4xxx chipsets, including a description of an issue wherein a "connector-full" framebuffer would freeze the system.

Having the HD4600 active on this system was always a little glitchy when used together with the Nvidia card (FaceTime video, for example, would be rainbow colored static) so I had it turned off on her system anyway. Just wanted to share my experiences. Definitely a huge step in the right direction, and my thanks to all involved!

J.

First thanks for posting this, it is has brought my El Capitan (Sebinouse Method) Intel Haswell NUC Core i5 (D54250WYKH) (Integrated HD 5000) hackintosh closer to being fully functional.

Unfortunately, the shiki.kext does not allow purchased HD iTunes content to play, nor does it allow HD movie trailers in iTunes with my NUC. It does however allow the playback of SD iTunes content and SD TV trailers/extras which did not work before.

I can now purchase or rent SD content in iTunes which I could not do before. The system freezes if I try to purchase or rent HD content.

This seems to be a known issue as the creator says this in response to a similar problem:
smile.png

It is not Shiki bug, but your GPU driver failing to initialise HDCP. Reverse engineer it, fix the issue, and Shiki will work.

And the FAQs say:

Azul GPUs (e.g. HD 4400, HD 4600) when used with a connector-full platform-id without a discrete GPU cause a system freeze due to not working HDCP playback. The issue is unrelated to Shiki, and happens regardless of iTunes and QuickTime.

I have no idea how to reverse engineer this but I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Last edited:
After trying pretty much all of the alternatives listed in the thread, no success for me.
If I place the iMac.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other my computer hangs on boot. When I place it in L/E/, it boots but the kext doesn't load (checked with kextstat) and playback doesn't work. Only Shiki.kext doesn't work as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I use a GTX970, my CPU has Intel HD4000 integrated graphics and they are set to Auto on BIOS.

@ anor4k: Try putting the texts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 (assuming you are using El Capitan) instead of EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

@ anor4k: Try putting the texts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 (assuming you are using El Capitan) instead of EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.
I'm using Sierra PB4, and I also tried placing it in 10.12, happens the same as when I place it in Other.

I'm using Sierra PB4, and I also tried placing it in 10.12, happens the same as when I place it in Other.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. I may be suggesting the obvious or something you've already tried, but have you tried disabling integrated graphics in BIOS and running the 'force Nvidia' scripts? This solution seems to have significant issues with GPU+integrated graphics options (as detailed to a degree in the FAQ). There are also suggestions in the FAQ that it's related to the IG having a "connector-full" framebuffer -- I've been wondering if the OS is expecting a connector-less framebuffer for the IG but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to make that happen. I'm operating on a totally different, much much MUCH less sophisticated level than the heavy-hitters here and at that other site.

J.

Interesting to note that after a few weeks using the fix (post #97) I've run into more problems...

Firstly video breaks-up into blocks and freezes while audio continues.

Secondly I've noticed that viewing photos in the Photos app and zooming and panning now breaks too. Pictures become pixelated, not as large as with the video and only parts of the screen.

Initially I thought this might be caused by the Nvidia drivers but the more I pondered the less I believed it. So what I did was remove the shiki.kext and the imac.kext, rebuilt the caches and rebooted.

Obviously iTunes DRM video playback has now gone again, but the other blocky graphic artifacts in Photos have vanished too, which seems to imply the two kexts were the cause.

Interesting to note that after a few weeks using the fix (post #97) I've run into more problems...

Firstly video breaks-up into blocks and freezes while audio continues.

Secondly I've noticed that viewing photos in the Photos app and zooming and panning now breaks too. Pictures become pixelated, not as large as with the video and only parts of the screen.

Initially I thought this might be caused by the Nvidia drivers but the more I pondered the less I believed it. So what I did was remove the shiki.kext and the imac.kext, rebuilt the caches and rebooted.

Obviously iTunes DRM video playback has now gone again, but the other blocky graphic artifacts in Photos have vanished too, which seems to imply the two kexts were the cause.

Thanks for posting the details of the issues you've encountered. I was able to get shiki.kext to work (no iMac.kext was necessary) but I only applied it to a spare backup drive to test it out, just to be on the safe side. I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a couple of weeks to see if anyone might be encountering any post-installation problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back