Contribute
Register

iTunes Protected Video Black Screen Solution (HDCP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting the details of the issues you've encountered. I was able to get shiki.kext to work (no iMac.kext was necessary) but I only applied it to a spare backup drive to test it out, just to be on the safe side. I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a couple of weeks to see if anyone might be encountering any post-installation problems.

I also found the iMac.kext unnecessary but to get mine to work, I had to remove this kext from - system/library/extensions 'AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.Bundle' - and initially use this line -'defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceNV -boolean yes'
instead of this line -
'defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceATI -boolean yes' even though my card is an ATI card.

Hi I place shiki in both Clover/kexts/10.11 and Clover/kexts/Other and followed the procedures. But playing preview in iTunes store still not work. I am using i7-6700 with HD530. Please suggest what can be done. Thanks in advance!

To solve the iTunes video "black screen error" (black video screen;time on 0 sec;no progress) for newer CPUs just install this kext.

1. Download and Install Shiki.kext to /Library/Extensions or /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/...
https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki/releases

2. Open Terminal. Set Hardware Video Decoder Preference
I had to set my hardware video decoder preference
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceNV -boolean yes
to force NVIDIA decoder

(for AMD/ATI decoder)
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceATI -boolean yes

(for Intel decoder)
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceIntel -boolean yes

3. Reset DRM configration
and reset my DRM configuration
Code:
defaults delete com.apple.coremedia
defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA
sudo rm -rf /Users/Shared/SC\ Info
sudo defaults delete com.apple.coremedia
sudo defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA

All credits goes to vit9696

https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki

Edit 1:
Version 1.5.0 supports Sierra 10.12 Beta (tested 16A238m)

Hi I place shiki in both Clover/kexts/10.11 and Clover/kexts/Other and followed the procedures. But playing preview in iTunes store still not work. I am using i7-6700 with HD530. Please suggest what can be done. Thanks in advance!

Had you attempted to install shiki into /Library/Extensions? I used KextBeast to insert shiki into my /Library/Extensions folder. I didn't place any additional kexts in any other folders, and that seemed to work fine for me. Keep in mind that you would probably need to remove shiki from your Clover/kexts/10.11 and Clover/kexts/Other folders beforehand.

Last edited:
I also found the iMac.kext unnecessary but to get mine to work, I had to remove this kext from - system/library/extensions 'AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.Bundle' - and initially use this line -'defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceNV -boolean yes'
instead of this line -
'defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceATI -boolean yes' even though my card is an ATI card.

How long has it been since you installed shiki? Have you noticed any problems since then?

How long has it been since you installed shiki? Have you noticed any problems since then?

I applied the fix since it appeared here and nearly gave up because I used the line recommended for the ATI card which didn't work and used the '......AppleGVA forceNV -boolean yes' in sheer desperation, also the removal of that kext as I previously mentioned in my initial post, from 'Extensions' was the final piece of the puzzle to get it working. As of now, its still working flawlessly also in HD.

I applied the fix since it appeared here and nearly gave up because I used the line recommended for the ATI card which didn't work and used the '......AppleGVA forceNV -boolean yes' in sheer desperation, also the removal of that kext as I previously mentioned in my initial post, from 'Extensions' was the final piece of the puzzle to get it working. As of now, its still working flawlessly also in HD.

Awesome... glad to read you were able to get it working for you. Thanks!

Last edited:
Ah. Thanks for the clarification. I may be suggesting the obvious or something you've already tried, but have you tried disabling integrated graphics in BIOS and running the 'force Nvidia' scripts? This solution seems to have significant issues with GPU+integrated graphics options (as detailed to a degree in the FAQ). There are also suggestions in the FAQ that it's related to the IG having a "connector-full" framebuffer -- I've been wondering if the OS is expecting a connector-less framebuffer for the IG but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to make that happen. I'm operating on a totally different, much much MUCH less sophisticated level than the heavy-hitters here and at that other site.

J.
Integrated graphics was already disabled; enabling it only caused more problems. I'll stop bothering with this for now, I still have to solve some issues with USB. Maybe I'll try using this solution again, in the future.

Thanks everyone for another tasty trail of bread crumbs. After about a week of on and off tinkering, reading, experimenting and all... I finally have it once again working on my 5 year old CustoMacMini:
  • Gigabyte H61N-USB3 F8 w/ 8GB RAM
  • Intel Core i3 @ 3.09GHz
  • Defined as Macmini6,2
  • Clover, no DSDT.aml
  • Hardware acceleration is fully supported, driving 1080p monitor
  • Toleda script-patched HDA sound working perfectly (using green rear analog port)
  • Used injection on everything needed
  • Shiki.kext in EFI and in /S/L/E (I know, its sloppy)

I'm again watching iTunes Movies on it. I had been for quite a few years, but after returning from vacation this summer the old HD had expired, so I had to start from scratch. I had a lot of frustration - mainly caused by insufficient understanding of everything at the Shiki site's FAQ. The key was understanding that trying to do this with a system definition that doesn't support hardware accel just won't work. Once I switched it to Macmini6,2 and injected the IMEI, etc, it seemed suddenly simple... chugging along nicely right now.

I couldn't get this to work by copying into any of the folders in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/, so I installed Shiki.kext to /Library/Extensions using KextBeast and now trailers from iTunes will play, but some will lock up the computer (i.e. Dad's Army The Movie 2016 - both HD and SD).

This is with an Asus H97M-PLUS, i5-4590, HD 4600, Clover & iMac 2013 profile. This happens with the latest El Capitan & the latest Sierra beta.

Also, if I go to the Batman v Superman page in iTunes, the top image appears on a dark background but nothing else. Maybe an iTunes or Sierra issue...

Last edited:
I couldn't get this to work by copying into any of the folders in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/, so I installed Shiki.kext to /Library/Extensions using KextBeast and now trailers from iTunes will play, but some will lock up the computer (i.e. Dad's Army The Movie 2016 - both HD and SD).

This is with an Asus H97M-PLUS, i5-4590, HD 4600, Clover & iMac 2013 profile. This happens with the latest El Capitan & the latest Sierra beta.

Also, if I go to the Batman v Superman page in iTunes, the top image appears on a dark background but nothing else. Maybe an iTunes or Sierra issue...

Try deleting this kext in - System/Library/Extentions - 'AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.Bundle' (just leave it in the recycle bin incase you need to put it back if this tip doesn't work), reboot and then try iTunes again. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back