Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had Lion running on my system perfectly, and my SSD was getting full, so I purchased a new and bigger drive. I used Carbon Copy Cloner on the Mac to make an image of the original drive. Long story short, I wound up formatting the original drive, and re-imaging it with the image that I made, and the issue is now it won't boot. I've tried using rBoot, however I only get the circle with the slash through it, indicating no joy.

Any other ideas I can try?

???

You can still boot into your original clone, right?

Negative. I cloned the source SSD, verified with an md5 hash that it all copied correctly to a disk image on another system. Intending to repurpose the original SSD, I formatted it and set it aside.

After pulling my new SSD out of the box, I discovered that it was defective. So I packed it up, RMA'd it. And to have something to use, I reimaged the original drive with its original contents. Verified the md5 again, and it doesn't boot. It's even plugged in to the same SATA port that it was plugged into to begin with. System is set to boot from that drive. Just nothing will go.

Sorry, I did not read your original post properly. If I understand correctly, you backed up to an image and now your restored image does not boot - even with rBoot.

If you boot rBoot with the -v bootflag, what does the machine stop on?

Are you restoring the image with CCC ?

Because if you use the built-in Disk Utility to restore the image it will NOT boot ...

Rather than retyping the error, I just took a picture of the monitor. Kept saying waiting for root device afterwards. See the attachment to this post for that screenshot. Seems like it might have to do with NVEnabler, but I'll await your expertise.

And I am most certainly not restoring with Disk Utility. Definitely not a rookie here...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 120
Can you explain how you are restoring your drive?

I cloned the drive using CCC as explained into a .sparseimage file, and restored the drive using CCC from the same image on the same machine (a separate machine from the one I'm trying to boot from)

What are you booting into when you restore? Remember, your answer to my first question was "Negative."

After I restored the the drive, I don't get to anything. Just a blinking cursor which blinks infinitely. After booting with rBoot, I can at least see what the errors are, but I have yet to be able to get a desktop at all. There isn't a dual boot on this drive at all, its just a 64GB drive that contains just the OS X install.

Using the verbose flag in rBoot at least showed me that it is reading bootable data on the drive, as hundreds upon hundreds of files were read successfully in seconds in front of my eyes.

This really is surprising, especially since the hashes match exactly.

I'm not trying to be difficult, really. Did I answer your question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back