Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is my UNIGINE HEAVEN Benchmark with my Sapphire RX460 NITRO (with IGPU enabled):

Unigine_Heaven_Benchmark_RX460.jpg

You decide, if this is good or bad. Was my first benchmark under macOS, so i have no other results to compare.

This score is slightly lower than my setting (i5-6600/GTX 750Ti). I believe there's room for more improvement.

image.jpeg image.jpeg I just picked up an RX 460 yesterday, thanks Mork Von Ork, I'll try to follow along with your methods and try to get through with it. It's tiny, perfect for an ITX board. I got the XFX 4g RX 460 single fan.

From the reviews I've seen this card runs just above the 750 ti and about even with the 950 in Windows with DX 11 games. For $140 it was a deal especially if it's going to run native in future macs, updates will be less scary in the graphics department.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    910.9 KB · Views: 167
image.jpeg I was tinkering and got this in El Capitan, with the RX460.
It was a mistake, I have two 120g Sandisk Ssd and picked the El Capitan version, the other is blank. I made the bootloader and config list roughly following Mork's guidelines with the igpu I thought I'd see Sierra prompts but it booted right into El Capitan. It reads it as HD 4330M with 67ef as ID.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 260
image.jpeg Getting the same in Sierra. Labeled as a 2009 HD 4000 series card, but it has the new ID #67EF.

I did a Clover configurator using Intel 530 graphics ID and the RX460 and Baffin as FB name. So far although it lists the card and specs but there is no output from the card at all. I will run again tonight with my RX480 and report back any findings. I also found that my iPhoto app is not working, everything else is good.

Last edited:
i found this on another forum,
"handheldgames"posted:

Beta 6 update

AMDRadeonX4000.kext analysis
Although the base .plist has not changed, the 10.2MB driver file is updated. Overall, the beta 6 file is 1k smaller AND has countless binary changes across the breadth of the file. on to the .plist, I noticed that my modified order of graphic card Id's were out of hex incremental sequence: 67E0, 67FF, then 67DF. This is not the order followed in the rest of the .kext, so I changed the initialization order to
67DF, 67E0, 67FF.

display Output
hdmi 2.0 - appears to capped at hdmi 1.4
Displayport -> Mdp -> apple DL-DVI adapter -> dell 3007-wfphc - needs cold boot to be recognized
Multiple displays are accelerated.

Stability / Usability
Compared to the brief amount of time spent trying to use Beta 5, I am no longer seeing lockups in the OS, xcode or compiled Applications. While safari has display issues with some google search content and occasiocally fails to render, it can get stuck with momentary spinner. Cause unknown.

More cards coming soon
References to AMD's upcoming iceland HBM2 gpu is noted in the binary drivers, although initialization is tied to a pci_gen3 initialization. This could cripple iceland on the cMP.

Bottom line
Drivers for the rx480 are not complete. If you want a cutting-edge production ready card for the cMP, the R9 nano is about $150 more and the drivers are much more compete.

Those looking to take a risk can pick up a RX 480 for $250ish.

As always, YMMV. Support for all of these cards could be yanked in the next beta or release so plan your risk accordingly.

link: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...acos-beta-windows-10-crossfire.1984213/page-3

Working the RX480 tonight, I set bios IGFX to auto plugged my monitor into the graphics card and booted, got this in DisplayPort.image.jpeg

And this in HDMI port.
image.jpeg

And this in the board HDMI slot (Intel 530).

image.jpeg

To recap the DisplayPort was a blur, hdmi port a mini screen, and the motherboard hdmi completely functional. My bios settings are for internal graphics[igfx] not pcie 1, (enabled, auto, disabled) I used auto for this, trial. So I have graphics signal coming out of three ports and two of them usable, although one is undersized on the screen if I enlarge I lose my tool bars. I repeated this with the monitor plugged into the motherboard HDMI port and got black screen on the video card ports.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Working the RX480 tonight, I set bios IGFX to auto plugged my monitor into the graphics card and booted, got this in DisplayPort.View attachment 207768

And this in HDMI port.
View attachment 207769

And this in the board HDMI slot (Intel 530).

View attachment 207771

To recap the DisplayPort was a blur, hdmi port a mini screen, and the motherboard hdmi completely functional. My bios settings are for internal graphics[igfx] not pcie 1, (enabled, auto, disabled) I used auto for this, trial. So I have graphics signal coming out of three ports and two of them usable, although one is undersized on the screen if I enlarge I lose my tool bars. I repeated this with the monitor plugged into the motherboard HDMI port and got black screen on the video card ports.

RX 480 is XFX brand ?

RX 480 is XFX brand ?

Yes, XFX RX480 8g I have two, and an RX460 4g also XFX. The RX480 has 3 display ports and one HDMI port, the 460 has one DisplayPort, one HDMI and one DVI.

Are there issues with XFX bios in OS that you're aware of?

Yes, XFX RX480 8g I have two, and an RX460 4g also XFX. The RX480 has 3 display ports and one HDMI port, the 460 has one DisplayPort, one HDMI and one DVI.

Are there issues with XFX bios in OS that you're aware of?

Yes, on Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards they quote:

"Note on XFX cards:
Many people are reporting problems with XFX cards, especially HD 7xxx / R9 generation. They're using a custom BIOS which can cause a crash upon booting, which can't be fixed in OS X.
A common solution is either flashing a alternate VBIOS on your card (only do if you can recover form a bad flash!) or using Clover to load a compatible VBIOS dynamically (without flashing)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back