Contribute
Register

Quiet build for Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt: i7-4790K - Asus Z97-A - HD4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to add a 6 core processor to this set up?

Hello Guys im new here, I want to build this Mac for my new Studio, which Graphicscard do you consider on this Build?

Hello Guys im new here, I want to build this Mac for my new Studio, which Graphicscard do you consider on this Build?

Hi, sorry for the delay. I don't think I'm getting notifications of posts, or maybe they're going into my spam folder...

I am using the onboard graphics in this build and that's absolutely fine for my basic 2 x 1080p setup - using Thunderbolt to DVI for one (via the Apollo) and DVI for the other. If I ever need something more than that I might look for a budget, probably fan-less card, but it's not a priority at present.

Hi Dave,

I'm a music teacher and my expensive hobby is, you guessed it, recording my own music -__-"

I have a similar hackintosh to yours with the same pre-existing ideology and hardware. I was using my UAD Apollo Quad (silver) with my late-2009 MacBook Pro. Same as you, the laptop wasn't keeping up with Logic Pro X, so I built a hackintosh in 2014 with Mavericks OS. I used the Fractal R4 case. The R5 wasn't out yet but as I see, isn't it the same?

Today, I upgraded/installed a Thunderbolt card to upgrade my Firewire connection. It only took a whole Saturday :crazy: to wire things up behind my rack and to my hackintosh. I couldn't get the Windows10 and El Capitan to see the TH, but finally got it to work after 1 hour of researching online/trial & error.

Hi Dave,

I'm a music teacher and my expensive hobby is, you guessed it, recording my own music -__-"

I have a similar hackintosh to yours with the same pre-existing ideology and hardware. I was using my UAD Apollo Quad (silver) with my late-2009 MacBook Pro. Same as you, the laptop wasn't keeping up with Logic Pro X, so I built a hackintosh in 2014 with Mavericks OS. I used the Fractal R4 case. The R5 wasn't out yet but as I see, isn't it the same?

Today, I upgraded/installed a Thunderbolt card to upgrade my Firewire connection. It only took a whole Saturday :crazy: to wire things up behind my rack and to my hackintosh. I couldn't get the Windows10 and El Capitan to see the TH, but finally got it to work after 1 hour of researching online/trial & error.

Hi audiotechnica. I don't recall the differences between the R4 and R5, but I think they were pretty minor. I like that you can mount 2 SSDs behind the motherboard without needing to use the disk mounting cages. Makes for a very tidy build. (Although I have just added a 3rd one to host EastWest Composer Cloud samples, so the smaller cage is now in there). Happy composing!

You have your EastWest library on its own SSD?

Yep. Most of the info I found on it recommended SSD streaming from a dedicated drive. My budget stretched to a 500GB Evo 850, so it's not big enough to hold everything included in the monthly plan, but OK for my current needs and I guess I could swap things around with external HDDs if needed.

I just need to learn how to use it now! I'm slowly working my way through the manuals. But the small amount I've played with it so far, the step-up in quality from Logic's own sounds is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back