Contribute
Register

Two Tier OSX????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of us started of with a hack and ended up with the real thing later on. Presently we have an iMac 2011 and a MacBook at home. Those came after building my Hack. Despite some of the incompatability and user mistakes in creating my Hackintosh, I was sold I wanted more of this brand the Mac. After building my Hackintosh, the countless amount of software Ive purchase from the app store, I think my hack did them HUGE favor.

Fuller asked a friend — a senior manager at Apple — to run the idea by Jobs, and Jobs responded. “I’m not going to put money into it,” he said. “But I’m not going to stop it.”

At that tells you everything you need to know about Apple’s view of the business market.

Maybe it's also the same view they have for the "PC market", or OSX running on non-Apple hardware. -- as long as you don't sell it (like Psytar did).

tony535 said:
I think a lot of us started of with a hack and ended up with the real thing later on. Presently we have an iMac 2011 and a MacBook at home. Those came after building my Hack. Despite some of the incompatability and user mistakes in creating my Hackintosh, I was sold I wanted more of this brand the Mac. After building my Hackintosh, the countless amount of software Ive purchase from the app store, I think my hack did them HUGE favor.
I completely agree!
Anyone that's built a desktop hack will most likely not be buying a Pee Cee laptop in the near future.
It'll be a real MMP, iMac, etc.

Its the same inquisitive mentality that makes us feel inclined to try out the real deal!

jester969 said:
I doubt Apple will cater to pc systems to compete with Windows software.

Apple is always about their brand, their price, their control, telling their customers what they need and want, their ideology and their marketing.

Compatibility issues are down to individual users running head long without reading and researching the sweet nuggets of knowledge on here.

I agree.

But on he other hand, I don't think Apple will ever break into the enterprise market without selling OS X by itself to run on PC's, or lower the entry price for a Mac system.

chipped said:
jester969 said:

Apple is always about their brand, their price, their control, telling their customers what they need and want, their ideology and their marketing.

Compatibility issues are down to individual users running head long without reading and researching the sweet nuggets of knowledge on here.

I agree.

But on he other hand, I don't think Apple will ever break into the enterprise market without selling OS X by itself to run on PC's, or lower the entry price for a Mac system.

They are focused on providing mac systems to school districts now since ipad sales are soaring for school children and college users.

jester969 said:
chipped said:
jester969 said:

I agree.

They are focused on providing mac systems to school districts now since ipad sales are soaring for school children and college users.

I work for DEC (Department of Education and Communities) in Australia, we have 200 000 computers in our network, for one state only.

We get allocated points once a year, and we can use those points to purchase computers. The Mac's are about 2 points each, and a Lenovo is 1 point.

You want to guess which option most schools are going to take?

Public school systems are like the enterprise market... well, it is an enterprise market (a small group of people/CIO makes decisions for the whole company/school district).

What jester is talking about are the iPads.... iPads are ideal, since students can keep electronic textbooks in these things, make notes, get internet access, mobile, can fit in a bag, etc...

I remember the days of the clones, it wasn't exactly a good thing for Apple. It started to erode on their already small market share. Now it is a different story. They are the biggest company in the world, have the world by the tail, and can't do any wrong right now. The hackintosh community as a whole embodies in a way the original spirit of the company when it was a very smart guy (Woz) and a very driven guy (Jobs) who wanted to do something a little bit different. I'd honestly love to hear the take Woz has on the "hackintosh" community. The way Tony has developed to install OS X does not violate the EULA in any way. We are also cannibalizing the market either, most of us have an actual Mac or two (or over 20 in my case) and like to tinker :)

roto31 said:
I remember the days of the clones, it wasn't exactly a good thing for Apple. It started to erode on their already small market share. Now it is a different story. They are the biggest company in the world, have the world by the tail, and can't do any wrong right now. The hackintosh community as a whole embodies in a way the original spirit of the company when it was a very smart guy (Woz) and a very driven guy (Jobs) who wanted to do something a little bit different. I'd honestly love to hear the take Woz has on the "hackintosh" community. The way Tony has developed to install OS X does not violate the EULA in any way. We are also cannibalizing the market either, most of us have an actual Mac or two (or over 20 in my case) and like to tinker :)

Well,I dunno about the EULA. It says you agree not to run OS X on non-Apple hardware. The unresolved -- and likely to be left unresolved -- question is if a EULA is enforceable. A secondary question is whether Apple would actually try to enforce it against individuals.

I have no idea how big the Hackintosh community is, i.e., how many people have successfully installed OS X on a machine they can use. I assume it is some subset of the number of people who use homemade PC's, which, in turn, is a small fraction of the entire PC market.

Apple obviously doesn't see the Hackintosh community -- regardless of size -- as cutting into its revenues enough to warrant shutting it down. Unless you pirate their stuff. Then they'll get you. Apple may see someone *selling* hardware running OS X as taking potential sales away from it, while seeing the typical Hackinstosh builder as a tinkerer who most likely isn't ready to buy from Apple anyway.

Remember, too, that Apple (A) Dropped the word "Computer" from its name years ago; and, (B) is focused on profits, not marketshare. That's why it does't really care if more Androids are sold than iPhones as long as it makes more money selling iPhones.

That also bears on its approach to the enterprise market. Why shift resources to a pointless macho marketshare fight with MS/Linux in the data center when you are in the perfect position to sell planeloads of iPhones and iPads to the same corporations? We ought not to assume that the profit margin on an iPhone or iPad is significantly less than the profit margin on a mythical Apple server.

Apple has always tended to the education market because it is good PR and because it doesn't hurt to generate future customers.

Personally, I think in the near future we will see Apple's computer products being *almost* as locked down as the iPad. I think that as soon as they can get the price under, say, $2000, we will see the iMac morph into a 20"-24" version of the iPad with no physical HD and a mouse and keyboard. That means they will also sell a "hang on the wall" TV that incorporates OS X, as well. Updates, synching and backups will be handled in much the same way it is currently handles on the iOS platform. And I'd bet that OS XI (we're already at 10.8, remember. Not far to go to get to 11.) will transition away from Intel to Apple-made ARM chips.

roto31 said:

While not remembering the days of the clones (I was 7 years old when they were first starting; and not really all that interested in computers); I remember reading about the clones and making comparisons to the Hackintosh community today, and came to roughly the same conclusions. Really; since now most of their profits are comprised of iPad, iPhone, and iPod sales (which are VERY closed ecosystems), the Hackintosh community isn't doing that much damage to the profits at worst and assisting the profits at best (as before mentioned, purchasing Macs after experiencing the Hackintosh).

There is a small difference though; being that the clones were officially licensed, Apple had to use resources to support them, while Apple is more-than-enthusiastic to not give us any support. Luckily; we are the support! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back