Contribute
Register

Two Tier OSX????

Status
Not open for further replies.
tom.humphrey said:
They've still got to purchase the updates.

Personally I think apple is trying to make it harder to do this.

Mountain Lion will only be distributed over the app store, meaning that anyone coming to the hackintosh community will have to have access to the app store via a hack or an actual mac to be able to get their software through legal routes.

But with them pretty much dropping their mac pro systems, personally I don't think they would be doing themselves any favours making it harder to install their OS to a hack as they will be losing a market which looks to run their high end software, like logic and aperture, which are some examples of their most expensive software.

They can't drop the power of their computers and expect people to pay the same to run high end software.

I hope they arent trying to make it harder, they would be doing themselves a disservice. I own an older imac I hardly ever use, its not quick enough, I have Nikon D800E and it produces 36MP files. Recently I decided to get into the Apple ecosystem by moving to a Mountain Lion system when it becomes available. I purchased the MBP Retina and intend to build a Hakintosh as my editing machine. I would never buy a Mac Pro, Photoshop runs just as well on a windows machine for a third the price. Apple only sold me the MBP because I will be able to migrate my main PC to a Hakintosh when ML comes out. I bought my latest Win editing machine based on early recommendations for Ivy, I hope it works out, but if I need to change a couple of components I will be happy to do so.

If they discontinue the mac pro's (which I think is very unlikely) Logic users and Final Cut users are screwed! I am a rising composer for film/music/games as well as doing a lot of midi orchestration with really heavy sample libraries. Logic with all of my plugins could not run on the best iMac or MBP. There is a reason they offer a computer that can use 12 cores and 64gb ram. Some of my patches alone are 2-4gb (and thats just one track of 30-40) that has to be loaded into the ram completely.... I know that the digital effects guys need that amount of power too, and if Apple didnt allow us to have it, then Logic and Final Cut would move to other software, it just needs that much juice. If the mac pro's really go away (which I doubt) I would be very surprised if Apple also tried to lock down OS X more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back