Contribute
Register

Wi-Fi Card Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried every driver that I can find. Dell (XPS 13 9343), Lenovo (Y50-70) ,Windows 10 Default, Asus and every version of these dating back to 2013.

I did see the Wikipedia M.2 spec sheet. Their pin layout info is good and I understand how the A&E notches work but I cannot find anything from Intel or Dell describing what each of the pins are for. (see attached) Know of any keywords or special places I should be looking for that?

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 802
I've tried every driver that I can find. Dell (XPS 13 9343), Lenovo (Y50-70) ,Windows 10 Default, Asus and every version of these dating back to 2013.

Not WiFi driver. Driver for keys that may turn on/off WiFi/BT.

Check OEM support site for your laptop.

I did see the Wikipedia M.2 spec sheet. Their pin layout info is good and I understand how the A&E notches work but I cannot find anything from Intel or Dell describing what each of the pins are for. (see attached) Know of any keywords or special places I should be looking for that?

M.2/NGFF pinouts standard, not specific to Intel/Dell/etc.

*** Reserved not helpful, but we already know it is used to control/enable/disable radio, or to disable/enalbe the ability for the host to control the radio.

I've never looked at it in detail, as I've never run into the issue.

I'm up to date on the OEM hotkey software.

New updates:
Installed Ubuntu, same behavior as Windows. rfkill shows no hardware or software blocks on the device yet no networks are found. Ubuntu registers the airplane mode button, doesn't fix anything,

Still kinda looking into the pin config for new NGFF cards. There is very little info out right now that I can find.

Edit: This looks similar. Do you think PIN 56 (very end, right side) is the culprit?
http://www.innovelec.co.uk/uploads/docs/qcadata/WNFQ-255ACN.pdf

jcsnider;1087278... Edit: This looks similar. Do you think PIN 56 (very end said:
http://www.innovelec.co.uk/uploads/docs/qcadata/WNFQ-255ACN.pdf[/url]

Maybe. Test it (with tape) and see if it helps.

Sadly it failed...

My card has 76 pins anyways instead of 56.

I found this though.....
1d80b387a0116c175f0e4861

I've been covering up the 54 and 56 pins, both separately and together along with a few other combinations.

Further update, this is a schematic from an A+E keyed NGFF card (which I have) to mPCI converter.
http://www.hwtools.net/PDF/M2MP1_schematic.pdf

It shows that Pin 20 on that alines with pins 54 and 56 on the NGFF card. I currently have both of those pins taped. The card continues to work on OSX but no behavior changed in windows or ubuntu.

Any other thoughts?

Sadly it failed...

My card has 76 pins anyways instead of 56.

I found this though.....
1d80b387a0116c175f0e4861

I've been covering up the 54 and 56 pins, both separately and together along with a few other combinations.

Further update, this is a schematic from an A+E keyed NGFF card (which I have) to mPCI converter.
http://www.hwtools.net/PDF/M2MP1_schematic.pdf

It shows that Pin 20 on that alines with pins 54 and 56 on the NGFF card. I currently have both of those pins taped. The card continues to work on OSX but no behavior changed in windows or ubuntu.

Any other thoughts?

No idea... other than...

Use USB WiFi on Windows.

Okay, curveball for you. What if I told you that by accident I made an AdHoc network and my cell picked it up? That would rule out the disabled wifi radio correct?

So I can broadcast but not scan. Do you make anything from that?

Okay, curveball for you. What if I told you that by accident I made an AdHoc network and my cell picked it up? That would rule out the disabled wifi radio correct?

So I can broadcast but not scan. Do you make anything from that?

All networking kexts vanilla?

OSX works perfectly fine. (Wifi + Scanning + Bluetooth) -- Everything

Windows & Ubuntu are the trouble makers. (Bluetooth + Wifi Adhoc BUT no Scanning or connecting to any wireless network)

OSX I'm using the kexts from your guide.
Ubuntu I am using the Broadcom STA drivers.
Windows I am using the vanilla drivers atm.

OSX works perfectly fine. (Wifi + Scanning + Bluetooth) -- Everything

Windows & Ubuntu are the trouble makers. (Bluetooth + Wifi Adhoc BUT no Scanning or connecting to any wireless network)

OSX I'm using the kexts from your guide.
Ubuntu I am using the Broadcom STA drivers.
Windows I am using the vanilla drivers atm.

Win10? Latest BIOS?

Otherwise, no idea... Seems like a BIOS/DSDT problem specific to this laptop/WiFi combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back