Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Please help me start iGPU (Intel HD Graphics 530) and audio.

The DVI port of my GIGABYTE Z170N-Gaming 5 supports audio ...

Sorry, I agree with @Edhawk . This is hard to believe. Especially for a very basic Gigabyte motherboard with a standard DVI-D port.

Incidentally, my own monitor with VGA, HDMI and DVI-I ports along with speakers - has a separate 3.5mm jack for audio when using DVI or VGA. HDMI carries audio, yes. The other two, not by default.

Edit: See post #23 below for update.

Last edited:
The clue is in the name...

Digital Visual Interface

Actually, strange as it may seem, DVI to DVI will not support audio.

But

DVI to HDMI does support audio. Because in most cases DVI is fed from the HDMI encoder of the graphics card.

Actually, strange as it may seem, DVI to DVI will not support audio.

But

DVI to HDMI does support audio. Because in most cases DVI is fed from the HDMI encoder of the graphics card.

Seems very esoteric BUT... we would have to accept that the H110M motherboard routes audio out via DVI for this trick to work. Unless they are using the GTX1650, which I would presume is unlikely given the macOS compatibility, but I am happy to be corrected.

Does the H110 - a very basic Skylake chipset - even allow audio out via DVI?

(Shrug emoji)

Plus ... it would be interesting to learn which pins the audio travels out on:

DVI-I.png

(Shrug emoji)

Audio is digital data mixed in with the video data, probably during blanking periods. Therefore, it would be in the TMDS pins. The HDMI spec will have the details.

You can connect a HDMI output to an HDMI TV using a DVI cable and a couple HDMI to DVI adapters.

The audio data comes from the Intel HDA device which does digital audio for DisplayPort and HDMI, and analog audio.

Ok, that makes more sense now.

There will be no way to pass HDMI audio through that adapter or adapter cable. You would need to use a separate audio cable from the Green coloured audio jack on the rear I/O plate to the monitors audio in Jack.
I bought an adapter and now everything works. Thanks for the help! :mrgreen:

Back